Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Who here has taken the Motorcycle Safety Course? (Read 1016 times)
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Re: Who here has taken the Motorcycle Safety Cours
Reply #45 - 08/06/10 at 13:00:08

I know I'm glad my doctor wasn't self taught!   Wink

IP Logged
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Reply #46 - 08/06/10 at 13:12:55

The MSF courses are 100% funded by the fees collected from the students.

One. Hundred. Percent.

I know this because I also serve on the board that oversees the program and I've seen the balance sheets.

So, Bill's claim that the courses are a waste of taxpayer money is also full of bull poopies.

Anyone notice a pattern here?

"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
WWW   IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #47 - 08/06/10 at 16:48:28

i don't agree with bill67 on this issue, but it's not funded that way in PA.  Here, the MSC is "free" to the student.

My understanding is that it's paid for by all MC license fees. In other words if you get an "M" class license, you pay for the class whether you take it or not.  

i was also going to say what paladin said - but couldn't remember the exact statistics on decreased crashes.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #48 - 08/06/10 at 16:54:59

I have been riding well over 55 years,I took it few years ago so as to lower my insurance rate.and after all those years I am humbled to say I still learned alot,so don't knock it Bill,try it it could lower your insurance rate.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #49 - 08/06/10 at 17:01:19

Spiff wrote on 08/06/10 at 13:12:55:
The MSF courses are 100% funded by the fees collected from the students.

One. Hundred. Percent.

I know this because I also serve on the board that oversees the program and I've seen the balance sheets.

So, Bill's claim that the courses are a waste of taxpayer money is also fullNot in wisconsin of bull poopies.

Anyone notice a pattern here?

Not in Wisconsin I don't know about other states.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #50 - 08/06/10 at 17:04:34

A hamster do what a hamster does.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #51 - 08/06/10 at 17:04:52

Mick what did you learn? Which way did they tell you Not brake in a curve or how to lock your brake in a curve, See we have 2 people here that were told different things.Now which one of the instructors was the stupid one.I disagree with both of them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #52 - 08/06/10 at 18:32:36

bill67 wrote on 08/06/10 at 12:31:51:
These schools should get their sh!t together one says don't brake in a curve the others tell you how to lock your brakes in a curve,I'll to it my way brake in a curve but not lockup brakes in a curve.

Bill,
 Wake up and read the post.  Babyhog's was the "try not to brake in a cruve and power thru" lesson.    Mine was the "oh Sh.T  Shocked  got to stop in a curve" lesson.  

So... Bill,  what do you do if you're coming around a sharp blind curve and their is something stopped in the middle of it??????   Use you're imagination.... a Big old Tractor with a traliler full of Hay, A beat up old car with the hood up in the middle of the road, ..... a naked Playboy bunny winking at you..... (hmmmmm maybe that last one isn't a good example........ ) ?

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #53 - 08/06/10 at 18:49:25

I brake in a curve I have no problem with doing that.And I didn't have to have someone tell me what to do or how to do it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #54 - 08/07/10 at 02:21:31

If I could weigh in ... bill, you make some interesting points ... yes, will agree that some folk are perfectly capable of learning to Ride or drive perfectly well without professional instruction ... BUT, I firmly believe that in today's world where traffic has increased exponentially over levels of the 50's & 60's, is faster and with distracting gagets like cell phones, etc. thrown into the mix, professional Rider Training gives (most) motorcyclists who have taken a Course a better chance on our roadways. Proper technique can be learned the hard way thru trial and error, or taught properly ... my 2 cents.

As for braking (NOT "breaking" why do some folk insist on spelling that word incorrectly! LOL!) in a curve ... we teach how to perform a quick stop in a curve. While negotiating a curve at speed, the Bike is usually banked over in a lean. Sudden application of the brakes (locking front and/or rear) while in this attitude can possibly result in a low-side crash. The technique we teach students is that if an obstacle presents itself in the path of the motorcyclist while negotiating a curve, first thing is to straighten Bike upright and point out of the curve away from obstacle. Once Bike is straight (takes fraction of second to do this) apply both front and rear brakes smoothly and progressively while simultaneously pulling in clutch and tapping down on shifter to ensure in 1st gear when Bike comes to a stop. Finally, a quick head check to see if someone is coming up too fast on your six o' clock so that you can skee-daddle before getting punted into the ditch or on-coming traffic!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #55 - 08/07/10 at 07:06:45

Perry, the Owner's Manuals for my motorcycles (both Kawasaki and Suzuki) suggest simply ignoring the shifter in an emergency stop. My guess is they feel getting stopped safely is more important than ending up in the right gear once stopped. I appreciate the idea of being in the right gear for a "quick get-away" if needed.

Keith Code, in his Superbike school, comes up with this thought. You have a certain amount of attention available. That attention has to be divided among all the tasks facing you. A beginner may use almost all of it just getting the clutch and throttle to work together to get moving. Cruising down a secondary road in little traffic may call for very little - which leaves your mind wandering and not concentrating on driving. A sudden emergency may require all the attention, and dividing it unwisely can result in problems. This is where I think Kawasaki and Suzuki suggest just concentrating on stopping and not worrying about shifting, until the attention demand is reduced.

I am not trying to contradict your school's teaching, but am presenting an alternate point of view.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #56 - 08/07/10 at 08:30:46

I never worry what gear I'm if I have to stop quick.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #57 - 08/08/10 at 06:07:53

PerrydaSavage wrote on 08/07/10 at 02:21:31:
As for braking (NOT "breaking" why do some folk insist on spelling that word incorrectly! LOL!) in a curve ... we teach how to perform a quick stop in a curve. While negotiating a curve at speed, the Bike is usually banked over in a lean. Sudden application of the brakes (locking front and/or rear) while in this attitude can possibly result in a low-side crash. The technique we teach students is that if an obstacle presents itself in the path of the motorcyclist while negotiating a curve, first thing is to straighten Bike upright and point out of the curve away from obstacle. Once Bike is straight (takes fraction of second to do this) apply both front and rear brakes smoothly and progressively while simultaneously pulling in clutch and tapping down on shifter to ensure in 1st gear when Bike comes to a stop. Finally, a quick head check to see if someone is coming up too fast on your six o' clock so that you can skee-daddle before getting punted into the ditch or on-coming traffic!

Hi Perry,
  Bingo.... exactly what they taught in class.  It's one of those things that if you think about it makes sense, but if you had to think about it when it was happening, you wouldn't have time.

I must admit that it took a few tries to get the feel.  The dirt biker in me wanted to do a foot down slide.   But.....foot down on asphalt isn't the same as foot down in dirt

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #58 - 08/08/10 at 10:59:33

As us old timers all know... quick shifting the savage in a panic stop will most likely leave you in the gear you started with.  And with a touchy rear brake your attention is better spent on braking.  But it is a skill worth practicing, as it may become a rote skill and accomplished w/o any thought at all.

Personally, I brake with engine braking as well.  I serves several purposes, the jacob brake sound generally gets someone attention and rather than look around for the truck bearing down on them, they just get out of the way.  Also, I find that it moderates the rear brake and rather than letting the rear wheel lock up and stop, it keeps it rolling.

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #59 - 08/08/10 at 11:10:43

I roll throttle through the twisties most of the time, however, if I'm heading into a tight turn at a somewhat high speed, I do brake before I enter it.

Yesterday I was entering a very tight turn (twisting right) at about 35 mph when a car pulled out from the left without stopping at the stop sign. I was able to avoid it and had enough time to flip them the bird when after I straightened out  Cool

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 05:45:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › Who here has taken the Motorcycle Safety Course?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.