Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Who here has taken the Motorcycle Safety Course? (Read 1016 times)
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: Who here has taken the Motorcycle Safety Cours
Reply #30 - 08/06/10 at 06:38:35

Took the course, definitely worth it.  I'd never ridden before, and it cleared some of my misconceptions/misinformation out before I developed more bad habits.

As to the rain, it warns you on the sign up sheet here that the class goes on, rain or shine, so ya takes yer chances.  They do cancel for severe bad weather, like ice and such though. Tongue

And yeah, bring water and sunscreen.  I sunburned the heck outta my face the first day of the class! Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #31 - 08/06/10 at 07:04:44

Here in St. John's, Nfld., the Motorcycle Training Program that I'm a part-time Instructor with, runs every weekend from late April to mid October ... early and late in the season, you can bank on getting some WILD weather up here and usually the Course goes ahead regardless ... I've personally been on our Training Range and seen wet snow and near-freezing rain. Only once in the 3 seasons I've been involved did I witness the Chief suspend training (final evaluations actually) because of weather (wet snow) ... Instructors and students alike usually suck it up ... if things look too if-y, the Chief has discretion to make decision on whether the weather will compromise ability to run the Course.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Reply #32 - 08/06/10 at 08:01:21

As an MSF RiderCoach, I of course highly recommend the course.

I'm scheduled to teach this weekend, as a matter of fact, and there's a chance of rain predicted both days.

I always tell my students that rain is a bonus, as it gives them extra real-world riding experience!

Bill's attitude dismays me, of course. He's said some pretty wise things on this forum over the years, but in this regard, I think he's way off base.

"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #33 - 08/06/10 at 08:41:32

I taught myself like every one else I know,Best money and waste of time I ever saved.BTW who taught you people how to walk.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #34 - 08/06/10 at 09:41:45

Unless you have taken the course, Bill, you do not know. Only AFTER you take the course are you even qualified to speak about it. Now perhaps you need to quit dissuading those who, unlike you, are actually willing to learn.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #35 - 08/06/10 at 09:53:11

Charlie how did people learn to ride before the courses,How did people learn to drive cars before drivers training in schools its all a waste of tax payers money,School should be reading and writing and arithmetic .Not sex courses and drivers courses.For years the parents had no trouble teaching the kids.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #36 - 08/06/10 at 09:59:41

Once again, Bill, you are attempting to obfuscate the issue. By your own statements, you have not taken the Motorcycle Safety Course. Until you take it, you are not qualified to talk about it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #37 - 08/06/10 at 10:05:51

Most people want admit something they did was a waste of time and money, It would hurt their ego.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #38 - 08/06/10 at 10:42:16

bill67 wrote on 08/06/10 at 10:05:51:
Most people want admit something they did was a waste of time and money, It would hurt their ego.

More BS bill.  You aren't gonna win this one.  You CAN'T say it is a waste of money because you haven't been there.  

Yes, people learned to do things without training courses before, but training courses are taught by people who learned things the hard way.  They pass their experience along to inexperienced folks to save them the possibility of problems.  How did you learn not to brake in a curve?  A wreck?  I'm glad an instructor told me and I didn't have to experience such a wreck myself!!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #39 - 08/06/10 at 11:22:27

I guess I learned things the hard way,I have no problem braking in a curve,See that more BS they tell you.39 years over 150000 miles and never been down. Those miles were all pleasure never used a bike to ride to work or to go shopping.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #40 - 08/06/10 at 12:06:45

I took the advanced rider course here in PA.  Actually I really think it's called the Experienced rider course.  

You take it on your own bike in PA.  I was the only one with a Savage.  I was the only one who max'd the course, no points deducted.  

I already had my license and took it as a refresher.  Yea Bill,  I knew most of the stuff  , but........  

The Panic stop stuff was a "oh yeah, I forgot about that" on the stopping but also getting it into first gear at the same time.   And the Panic stop on a turn was another one.    Locking it up correctly in a turn, and getting it to 1st so you can get out of there is a hurry took several tries to get it right.  

Knew most of it, but it was good to jog the memory. Since it's Free in PA, it was really good practice.

The figure eight (actually a partial figure eight) was super easy on the Savage.  But an old, old guy on a BMW cruising Boat of a bike dropped it.  Odd thing was the bike didn't get a scratch on it because it's designed to be dropped.  It has these rocking chair runner type things on the sides.  The bike just sat there rocking and the guy got off.  4 guys to get it up right.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #41 - 08/06/10 at 12:21:09

Wow Bill, that's harsh.   I'm sorry but why in the world would you be so against something that could save lives?   Also, I'm quite certain some people could jump into and airplane and fly it,  but how many people would die trying?   Information, especially on a subject that can easily kill you, is never a bad thing.  I know I'm new here, but those comments are insane.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #42 - 08/06/10 at 12:31:51

These schools should get their sh!t together one says don't brake in a curve the others tell you how to lock your brakes in a curve,I'll to it my way brake in a curve but not lockup brakes in a curve.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #43 - 08/06/10 at 12:43:30

I started riding 1964, all self taught.  I have never had a cop try to pull me over, I have never crashed.  Took the BRC in 2004, found it interesting.  Disagreed with my riding with a finger on the levers, learned a little.  Anyone who claim they know everything is an idiot.  

As for the MSF in general.  Statistics in the 1960's - 1970's, with the MSF starting in the 1980's, more statistics in the 1990's+.  Compared with the majority having taken the MSF course, they have one third many as accidents as those who were self-taught.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #44 - 08/06/10 at 12:50:10

Cars and motorcycles today handle a lot better than they did in the 60s,And the newer tires help that a lot.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 01:46:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Who here has taken the Motorcycle Safety Course?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.