the salt flats (Read 201 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
the salt flats
08/26/10 at 23:27:57

Ok guys this is one thing on my bucket list that I will forfill next year 2011 in August.
I am at this time asking anyone who wants to come along,I am not going to organize the whole thing ,if you want to go just book a room in Wendover Nevada,I have stayed there before and it's a very nice little place.
I'm asking anyone who feels like going,and - or might be retired ,like Midnightrider,Serowbot,I will call Gort and invite him, I have e mailed the guy that runs things and asked if I can race a buddy who has a 250 Ninja, I will tell you his response when I get one.
It's pretty thrilling to know we are racing on hallowed ground,can you guys emagen ,we will actually be riding and driving the same sand that Burt Munroe raced on.
I WILL be going next year come hell or high water,please join me.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: the salt flats
Reply #1 - 08/26/10 at 23:33:49

please do not respond by saying "Oh I would love to go but we worked it out and my wife is having her period that week" or I would love to come but it is not convenient etc etc .
If you think you can make it say so,remember it's next August 2011.
I would love to see some other members .

mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/27/10 at 03:20:09

I hope you see records broken & have a great time. It would be EXREMELY cool to be allowed to run on the salt flats! Thats Hallowed Ground right there. I'd love to go, but ( Fill in with whatever you find to be an irritating excuse).

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/27/10 at 03:51:13

Mick,

It is better for those that wimp out to post it so YOU KNOW THEY AREN'T COMING rather than for them to go silent on you and then not show up on the day (leaving someone holding their cabin/room/apartment advance cost as has happened just this past year).

In any internet forum there are those whose only connection to riding reality is the fingerprints they leave on their keyboards.  

Such will disappoint you every time ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/27/10 at 07:48:40

Allrite! Worst I can do is disappoint 90% of the time!  Im missing a finger..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #5 - 08/27/10 at 15:06:25

Ok guys,let me put it this way. I am going to to the salt flats next year .if anyone goes I will see you there.If you don't go I don't give a tinkers cuss.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/27/10 at 21:12:14

Mick, go down there driving a Zamboni.
You could set the world land speed record for Zamboni and help repair the divots caused by past racers at the same time.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/28/10 at 03:02:00

JohnBoy wrote on 08/27/10 at 21:12:14:
Mick, go down there driving a Zamboni.
You could set the world land speed record for Zamboni and help repair the divots caused by past racers at the same time.

Now that's thinkin'!... Grin Grin Wink....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #8 - 08/28/10 at 06:36:45

Mick its a great idea. I'll start saving some money   Smiley

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #9 - 08/28/10 at 16:50:51

Midnightrider wrote on 08/28/10 at 06:36:45:
Mick its a great idea. I'll start saving some money   Smiley

the zamboni thing might just be our speed ,I bet no one has raced one before,so a record woul be a shoe in. I wonder what the top speed is
20 -30 hardly enough to blow your hair back, ooops do we have to wear a helmet ?
We can carrie a big ice chest for our cocktails,and beer.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #10 - 08/28/10 at 18:22:40

What the Hell is a Zamboni? Does it have 2 wheels or four? Does it have a Carb? Will we need Lancer? I still have my racing leathers, I might be able to get into em. Dont have to worry about blowin my hair back  Grin Grin Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #11 - 08/28/10 at 18:37:09

Some friends from another site are at Bonneville right now.

That would have been an cool run to watch. Tyler from Lowbrow did 121.675 mph on his second run on it (2mph short of the record) but when Wes (from Four Aces Cycles) got on it for a run coz he's 35lbs lighter......"Unfortunately one of the Amal GP carbs pulled out of the manifold just a mile or so down the track and on top of it the mag gear spun off, killing the spark."
The gremlins have been playing hell with them out there but it seems they're starting to get the upper hand on it.
The Salt Ghost

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #12 - 08/28/10 at 19:13:34

Very nice lookin triumphs,nice pictures ,Midniderider as far as I know a Zamboni is a machine that goes around a ice skating rink cleaning and resurficing the ice,to make it smooth for the second half.
This is the time of year when all the crazy's come out and try there hand at breaking world records,both 4 wheels and 2. the Famous
Burt Monroe did his thing on "The worlds fastest Indian"
Lots of history ,I did drive by a few times when I was trucking.
Wendover is just over the Utah / Nevada line,and a nice place for a few drinks and a little gambling.
I did speak to Gort and he said he couldn't make it ,had some peronel issues to take care off,he has been there a few times ,and says it would be a fun trip.
Still it's a year away, they also have stuff going on in Utah I'm not sure of the name of the place ,but they have vintage bike racing ,
I would give my left nut to hear a Manx Norton with an open megaphone and burning "Castrol R" , I don't even know if they sell that any more ?,if they do I'm going to get a quart and drop it on my Bar-B-Q a teaspoon at a time,Ah music to my nose.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #13 - 08/28/10 at 19:14:49

mick wrote on 08/27/10 at 15:06:25:
Ok guys,let me put it this way. I am going to to the salt flats next year .if anyone goes I will see you there.If you don't go I don't give a tinkers cuss.

Actually the phrase is "not worth a tinker's dam" spelled like the engineering, not the theological, variety.

A tinker's dam is a little mound of mud put on a pot or kettle being repaired to control the flow of  the molten solder going into a crack or pit.  I learned this from the Mormon dental students, who would loudly shout out "This project's not worth a tinker's DAM!" while the rest of us would have used saltier, and briefer, language.  When I inquired, the above is the explanation I received.

However, even though they acknowledged that "half fast" is a nautical term*, they could never bring themselves to use it in the lab!   Grin

*  A line (or rope to you landlubbers) is half fast when a single turn is taken around a cleat or bollard.  It's not "fast" (fastened), so it must be tended or you may be swimming after the bitter end!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #14 - 08/28/10 at 19:35:37

Interesting Doc,I wonder if Tinkers cuss is diferent from a tinkers dam ? I asked my Mum what it meant many years ago, we lived in Oxford England there were many Gypsies around ,they would go and knock on doors trying to sell odds and ends mostly pots and pans,clothes pins (wooden) ,generally they were nice people with very bright clothing ,however if you did not buy the smallest thing like a box of matches for a penny ,they would put a curse on you and your family, these curses were concidered quite lethal and to ignore them was taking a big risk, they would go so far as to put secret markings on your fence that only other gypsies could read,the to would ad to the curse .
So if you really did not care a tinkers cuss ,you put your self way out on a limb.And you really really did not give a sh1t..

Ps, A tinker is a door to door salesman,usually selling household items.
usually Gypsies.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 09:13:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › the salt flats

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!