Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Who here has taken the Motorcycle Safety Course? (Read 1016 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Who here has taken the Motorcycle Safety Cours
Reply #75 - 08/10/10 at 11:36:04

Do you have to have a teacher follow you around today to learn something today?By accident you might learn something today on your own.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #76 - 08/10/10 at 12:02:21

Thanks for everyones info!  But if we could steer back on topic for a bit, id like to know what type of bikes they have at the course?  Be interesting to try different bikes methinks.

Jive

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #77 - 08/10/10 at 12:21:39

According to the WV DMV website (I just looked this up for a co-worker whose son-in-law is wanting to take the course):

Training motorcycles are provided and include: Honda CM250 Custom, CM200T, Nighthawk 250, CB125S, CB125TT, Rebel 250, NX125; Suzuki GN125, GN250, GZ250, DR125; Kawasaki KE100, Eliminator 125; and Yamaha Route 66 250.

I claimed a GZ250, thought it was as close to my S40 as possible.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #78 - 08/10/10 at 12:45:23

The course I took had all Suzuki and Honda Rebel 250s

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #79 - 08/10/10 at 16:44:26

In 2005, when I did my MSC (M1 Exit Course), they had a variety of smaller cc bikes:  Can't recall all of the makes, but they had a few dirtbikes, a yahama cruiser, some sportbikes, etc.  Probably about 30 bikes lined up for the students to pick and ride.  

This past weekend when I did my Advanced M2 Exit Course at a different college, I noticed that the new students in the MSC all rode identical dirtbikes.  (They were at the far end of the same parking lot)

So, I guess different places have different equipment to use.

As for the value of taking a MSC or advanced motorcycle courses, I learned a lot, and did get a discount on my insurance.  I'm still a relatively new rider, and I learned things about riding that I might not have picked up on my own.  So for me, the courses were well worth it.
(I'd only riden dirtbikes and minibikes as a kid - not real motorcycles).

Having said that, I never did take a car driving course, except for a defensive driving course as part of my military training.  

To each his own....

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #80 - 08/13/10 at 02:03:46

We had a little variety.  Mostly Honda CB250's (I think), 1 dual-sport, 1 Ninja 250, and one Rebel type bike.  I rode the CB for most of the training, but took the test on the Rebel, since it sat more like the Savage which I'd been practicing on between day 1 and day 2.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #81 - 08/13/10 at 03:43:34

Our local "Gearing Up" Motorcycle Training Progam has a fleet of 38 or so Bikes, made up of CMX250 Rebels, GZ250 Marauders, DR200 Dual Sports, older CB150T's and a handful of Brazilian spec Honda Titan 150's (very well balanced!) ... we had a few GN125's (now retired) and a new Honda CBR125R (Nice Bike!) that was on loan from our local Honda dealer but has now been returned ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #82 - 08/26/10 at 16:29:00

Well I start the course tomorrow @ 5:45.  I will post updates here throughout the weekend, and hopefully some pics if they will allow me to snap some.

Jive

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #83 - 08/26/10 at 17:07:25

Jive--FSO wrote on 08/26/10 at 16:29:00:
Well I start the course tomorrow @ 5:45.  I will post updates here throughout the weekend, and hopefully some pics if they will allow me to snap some.

Jive

Good luck, relax, and have fun!   Smiley

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #84 - 08/28/10 at 19:04:39

Went to the class last night, and did all the bookwork.  Most of the stuff was the same stuff I had read about from the Idiot's Guide, so I didn't have much problem with the written test.  Today, we had to be at the range @ 6:30am.  Started riding @ 7am.  They had 4 Suzuki GZ250's and 2 Honda Nighthawk 250's.  I must say, I somehow got the GZ250 that was pretty banged up.  Huge dent in the tank, and paint scrapes on the other side. Iit did not like to go into neutral, and was very jerky on the throttle.  I dunno if it was the chain drive or what, but it was hard to hold a slow speed with it.  None of the bikes had mirror's, as they said they got tired of replacing them.  Rode till around 11 or so.  Most of it was basic stuff, but the slow speed slaloms and panic stops really helped me, as that were the two areas I was nervous about.  Test tomorrow!

Jive

http://bikepics.com/pictures/2049298/
http://bikepics.com/pictures/2049300/
http://bikepics.com/pictures/2049303/

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #85 - 08/28/10 at 19:19:27

Ok Jive,so so pics,we like pictures with beans in them, When I say beans I mean humanbeans,bikes are nice but they look lonely.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #86 - 08/29/10 at 13:04:09

So, y'all want an instructor to follow you around and show you how to ride your bike?

Jest come on up to the Dragon this upcoming June 26th through July 2 and the crew of special instructors will educate you in twists and turns and Hurley passing done all safely and discreetly.

Then when you think you are ready to graduate, CF the head instructor will take you out on the Skyway to see if you've really gotten it all right in your heads or not.

He may even bring you back, too

Wink

My God, where are all the students???

They did WHAT ??!!  

Right off the side of the mountain !!!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #87 - 08/29/10 at 13:38:11

Of put your clothes back on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #88 - 08/29/10 at 14:22:12

Hey, they wanted pictures of peeple

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #89 - 08/29/10 at 18:05:30

Sorry guys, got no pics with the guys/gals in them.  For some reason I didn't even think to take any of us!  Good news is I, along with the other 5 people, all passed.  Our groups included 2 gals, one that had not ridden anything but a bicycle, and the other that had ridden dirt bikes 25 or so years ago, but nothing since.  Us guys had some riding experience, but not a lot.  It was amazing watching the one gal start out very shaky, and slowly start doing better, and gaining confidence.  From what I could tell, she did very well on the test.  IMHO, the course was well worth the time and money, and the other students agreed.  

The main thing I learned from the course was how to panic stop, and not skid the tires.  It's a good feeling to be able to really romp on the brakes, and be in control at the same time!  Also, learning how to panic brake in a curve was good as well, because that always scared me.  Here is WV, there are a ton of deer, and I've always been afraid I would find some in a corner!

All in all, a very fun weekend!!  BTW, I checked the trip meter on my bike, we rode 18 miles total!!!

Jive

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 04:02:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Who here has taken the Motorcycle Safety Course?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.