Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Who here has taken the Motorcycle Safety Course? (Read 1016 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Who here has taken the Motorcycle Safety Cours
Reply #60 - 08/08/10 at 11:21:55

photojoe FSO wrote on 08/08/10 at 11:10:43:
I roll throttle through the twisties most of the time, however, if I'm heading into a tight turn at a somewhat high speed, I do brake before I enter it.

Yesterday I was entering a very tight turn (twisting right) at about 35 mph when a car pulled out from the left without stopping at the stop sign. I was able to avoid it and had enough time to flip them the bird when after I straightened out  Cool

I'm guessin' this would have been a bad time to straighten up in a turn then stop.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #61 - 08/08/10 at 11:24:24

Charon wrote on 08/06/10 at 09:41:45:
Unless you have taken the course, Bill, you do not know. Only AFTER you take the course are you even qualified to speak about it. Now perhaps you need to quit dissuading those who, unlike you, are actually willing to learn.

Unless you have used Sea Foam,Charlie,You do not know.Only AFTER you try it are you qualified to speak about it.Now perhaps you need to quit dissuading those who,unlike you,are actually willing to learn.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #62 - 08/08/10 at 11:32:03

verslagen1 wrote on 08/08/10 at 11:21:55:
I roll throttle through the twisties most of the time, however, if I'm heading into a tight turn at a somewhat high speed, I do brake before I enter it.

Yesterday I was entering a very tight turn (twisting right) at about 35 mph when a car pulled out from the left without stopping at the stop sign. I was able to avoid it and had enough time to flip them the bird when after I straightened out  Cool

I'm guessin' this would have been a bad time to straighten up in a turn then stop.

I wouldn't have done anything different. It's funny how our natural instincts kick in when we get into certain situations. We hear all of the talk about how to ride into turns, counter steering etc. but we're already doing these things, because the bike and our bodies let us know Wink

FSO
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #63 - 08/08/10 at 11:40:30

I never flip anyone the bird I just smile and wavy to them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #64 - 08/08/10 at 18:30:57

Bill, Sea Foam is not the topic of discussion. Get back on topic.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #65 - 08/08/10 at 18:32:46

How often do we stay on the topic of discussion.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Fuschia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #66 - 08/08/10 at 20:02:12

So how was your day,guys?  Grin

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #67 - 08/08/10 at 20:59:14

I am mellowing.  A Metro Bus was pulling out from the stop . . .  and I ALLOWED him out.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #68 - 08/09/10 at 08:12:55

Hey Jive, where are you taking the course?  I noticed in another post you said you rode from Princeton to Beckley, WV.  Where are you from?  I'm from St. Albans.  I took the course in Poca.  Almost went to Beckley, but lucked out and had a cancellation in Poca.  Actually, one of my instructors said she normally does classes in Beckley.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #69 - 08/09/10 at 09:15:56

I took it in '06 since it had been such a long time since I'd owned a bike.
It gave me a wider perspective than I had on identifying potential hazards and some practical experience on things like panic stops - something I'd never practiced since, as a youth, I'd always relied on my reflexes. As we get older, having a few extra "tricks up our sleeve" to keep us out of trouble seemed like a good idea! Lots of good information. As with a lot of things, take what is useful and build from there.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #70 - 08/09/10 at 09:47:31

Southpaw wrote on 08/09/10 at 09:15:56:
I took it in '06 since it had been such a long time since I'd owned a bike.
It gave me a wider perspective than I had on identifying potential hazards and some practical experience on things like panic stops - something I'd never practiced since, as a youth, I'd always relied on my reflexes. As we get older, having a few extra "tricks up our sleeve" to keep us out of trouble seemed like a good idea! Lots of good information. As with a lot of things, take what is useful and build from there.

As you get older the tricks up your sleeve is common sense.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #71 - 08/09/10 at 10:23:09

babyhog wrote on 08/09/10 at 08:12:55:
Hey Jive, where are you taking the course?  I noticed in another post you said you rode from Princeton to Beckley, WV.  Where are you from?  I'm from St. Albans.  I took the course in Poca.  Almost went to Beckley, but lucked out and had a cancellation in Poca.  Actually, one of my instructors said she normally does classes in Beckley.

I am taking the course in Beckley.  I actually live in Beckley, and my family is mostly in Princeton.    I'm too scared of 77 right now, so I went rt 19.  Lovely ride!

Jive

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #72 - 08/10/10 at 03:06:18

Once again I find myself agreeing with Bill ... do not under estimate the value of common sense. Sadly though, it is a commodity that seems to be somewhat lacking with far too many folk these days ... Sad

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #73 - 08/10/10 at 05:06:42

Charon wrote on 08/06/10 at 09:41:45:
Unless you have taken the course, Bill, you do not know. Only AFTER you take the course are you even qualified to speak about it. Now perhaps you need to quit dissuading those who, unlike you, are actually willing to learn.

Everyone has a right to their own opinon.  Im not saying I agree with Bill, but he can think anything he pleases.

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 08/10/10 at 11:04:32

common sense partnered with education is a great great thing, common sense alone is pretty good too.  Education alone is pretty good too. I"m not sure Bill believes much in education though. . .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 11:45:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Who here has taken the Motorcycle Safety Course?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.