Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Kamikaze air intake for the LS650 (Read 2136 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Kamikaze air intake for the LS650
Reply #45 - 03/17/09 at 08:10:40

I take it these are grin factor graphs and not quantifyable.   Grin
because it would be good to have a comparison with the stock filter, K&N, desnorkled, OF filter.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #46 - 03/17/09 at 08:21:37

Man Jim you sure do like to tool around with different things. I like it!

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #47 - 03/17/09 at 09:27:21

Yep, pure grin factor.  I'm pretty sure now that going to a 155 main will improve it a little more.

It made more sense to me when I drew it up.  That fact that tuning the airflow on my bike makes a noticeable difference intrigues the heck out of me.  My exhaust is probably fairly close performance-wise as some other aftermarket exhausts out there but I don't know how much of a role that plays into it.  Hey, if posting how airflow changes effect my bike helps someone else out then great.  At least it helped me keep track of the progress.   

I'll switch to a 155 main and then run a few weeks with this setup.  

IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #48 - 03/17/09 at 17:42:37

What exhaust are you running?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #49 - 03/17/09 at 20:48:41

Staplebox wrote on 03/17/09 at 17:42:37:
What exhaust are you running?

A custom made exhaust.  Probably the closest thing to it is the Raask drag pipe with mid-mounted baffle.  

Mine has a mid-mounted baffle that modifies the exhaust sound with minimal back pressure.  A small amount of back pressure is provided primarily by a small cone in the front of the baffle.  The baffle is 14" long and has 10 large triangles cut and pressed inward. Each triangle covers maybe 40% of the pipe diameter.  It looks like this:

Verslagen, I  made an amazing discovery tonight.  I was at my kids boy scout meeting tonight. It was arts and crafts night. Crap!  Well, I was there looking at all the supplies on the table.  Me, I never see things as they are but rather what they could be.  I can't help it.  My mind is always churning.  Anyhow, there was a stack of straws on the craft table.  Straws are tubes... hmmm.    I got to thinking about airflow, flow acceleration, turbulence reduction, etc.  I got and idea and utilized my sons "craft" skills to help me out.  I grabbed the scissors and handed him the glue.  I cut a bunch of 5/8" long straw pieces and he glued them together honeycomb style. I'd take a pic but I left my camera at work today. It looks like this:

Now, I've been testing airflow of different tube designs and filter material using a hair dryer set on low and some vertical clear tubing with a ping pong ball like the lottery machines with the numbered ping pong balls.   The hair dryer is not attached to the clear tube but rather about 8" below it.  I've got it set so that the air entering the tube is similar to the air entering the carb via the rubber tube during revving at mid rpms.  I also have it set up to do the reverse with a vacuum on top pulling air similar to the carb intake vacuum.  I know it's not scientific but the results I get testing seems to be consistent with what I see on the bike. Anyways, I brought the straw honeycomb thing home and tested it.  Wow!  It seems to about double the airflow velocity compared to nothing at all.

Blown away by what I saw, I took a minute to research it on the net and confirmed the hunch I had during arts and crafts time.  Let's see if I can explain it.  Each piece of straw takes a little bit of the moving air, compresses it, accelerates it and reduces turbulence by getting that little bit of air moving in a very specific direction.   The velocity and turbulence reduction is amplified by the sum total of all the little straw pieces.  This may be how the multiple screens in a wind tunnel work.  Each screen adding a little more velocity to the air coming out of the previous screen.  A significant difference was also seen when reversed by using the vacuum cleaner.  Since there is essentially no frontal surface area, there is essentially no resistance.  I made it with 5/8" long straw pieces cause I knew that would fit in Ver 5 if it worked.  Now I've got to figure out a way to incorporate it.  

Maybe something like this would benefit the stock airbox setup somehow.  Maybe putting it directly on the inflow side of the air filter to accelerate the air going through the filter therefore negating some of the resistance.  Maybe putting it after the filter say in the opening of the tube to help accelerate the filtered air through the tube and into the carb mouth.  I don't know.

I'll try it in my Ver 5 intake tomorrow and post results.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #50 - 03/17/09 at 22:10:47

Cool, I can tell you where to go to get such tubes... your local toxophilite.  He has many sizes to choose each about 4" long in 7071 or 6061.  You want the thin wall stuff.  I don't know if they recycle the stuff, but it should be easier to get than a hardly used take off muffler.

Ask for aluminum arrow cut off's.

You tell 'em you gotta a project and what you'll be using it for and he'll probably give you a bucket full with a smile no less.  If he don't let me know, I got 'em too.  For yam watta yam, a savage on a savage.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #51 - 03/17/09 at 22:38:18

I'm not saying it's a good idea,but I have pictures of bikes with no air filter at all,in fact my old rudge never had one and nether did my norton,the carb was just out there.
I supose the air filter does add to enging longevity,but as my memory serves it didn't, I know BSA and other trials bike did use air filters,but not road bikes.just a thought.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #52 - 03/18/09 at 05:32:26

mick wrote on 03/17/09 at 22:38:18:
I'm not saying it's a good idea,but I have pictures of bikes with no air filter at all,in fact my old rudge never had one and nether did my norton,the carb was just out there.
I supose the air filter does add to enging longevity,but as my memory serves it didn't, I know BSA and other trials bike did use air filters,but not road bikes.just a thought.

Mick, no filter is obviously not good for engine life.  But also not good for getting the potential power out of the LS650 engine.  There's a thing called volumetric efficiency (VE).  It is the ratio of maximum air the cylinder can hold, in this case 40 cubic inches, to the maximum air you can get into the cylinder.  Most engines run at about 75% VE.  That means, in our case, about 30 ci of air makes it into the cylinder in stock form.  The other 25% is lost to restriction and turbulence along the path from filter to intake valve.  Of that 25%, about 10% is the resistance of the filter, carb throat and intake valve.  Maximizing air filter flow is pretty easy with a K&N or equivalent to get 2-3% VE back.   A pod filter helps but the benefit is pretty much focused in the upper third of the rpm range. The intake valve and carb can be improved some to get another 2-3% but the cost to get those gains is out of my range and goal here.

Now, that leaves us with 15% VE that can be gained solely by modding the intake design.  Reaching a 90% VE translates to about a 5hp gain.  That's a lot on this little bike.  Since the bike already moves me down the road pretty good, another 5hp becomes pure grin factor power as Verslagen calls it.  What I've seen thus far is that the gain is clearly in the form of usable, around town torque.  The exhaust helps some but how much I've not got a clue.      

To know there is a way that I can pick up maybe $10 worth of stuff, spend an evening doing some modding and end up with a significant power increase really cranks my tractor!

IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #53 - 03/18/09 at 07:05:04

Looking forward to the honeycomb. Hurry up and get it right, darnit, so I don't have to test all this shiznit and just do the best mod. Smiley Smiley Smiley

As always, Jim, you're the man.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #54 - 03/18/09 at 08:25:26

i remember hangin with gearheads in the 60s, they tried all kinds of mods for better peformance
one that stands out is stainless steel screen (window screen?)between the carb and mainfold,idea was to vaporize the mix for better combustion

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #55 - 03/18/09 at 08:59:30

sakara wrote on 03/18/09 at 07:05:04:
Looking forward to the honeycomb. Hurry up and get it right, darnit, so I don't have to test all this shiznit and just do the best mod. Smiley Smiley Smiley

As always, Jim, you're the man.

Thanks.  But I'm just a bigger version of the kid who took stuff apart all the time.  Of course, it was usually my brother's or parent's stuff cause all the stuff I had was already torn apart!  I'm bettin' all of you like watching the shows "How It Works", "How It's Made", "Junkyard Wars", and my newest favorite, "Deconstructed".

BTW, I went up to a 155 main.  This is the first time I've changed out the main using the allen bolt/leave the carb on the bike method.  Wow, that mod is awesome.  

Thumper, I can see how that would help.  I figure with the downward flow, 8 different pathways and fairly long distance to each intake port, better diffusion means better combustion.  Interesting.  I didn't know that.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #56 - 03/18/09 at 09:08:51

Don't watch much anymore, "How It Works", "How It's Made", don't cover exotic stuff very often.

You forgot "master blasters", "weapon masters"
Yep "junkyard wars" good stuff  
haven't hit deconstructed yet.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #57 - 03/18/09 at 17:46:43

In researching the use of honeycomb screen accelerators used in wind tunnels, they said that they should be 6 times longer than their diameter and when this ratio is reached turbulence reduction and increased velocity are max.

These are the ones I'm using.  Size-wise they are about in the middle between coffee stirrers and the larger straws used at some fast food joints.  

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #58 - 03/18/09 at 19:16:49

Hmmmmmmm  .....  you could use a bunch of cigarette butts as filters......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #59 - 03/19/09 at 04:54:04

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/18/09 at 19:16:49:
Hmmmmmmm  .....  you could use a bunch of cigarette butts as filters......  

Hmmm.... I could make on of these:

Some say the stock carb sucks but it doesn't suck that much! Grin

Didn't get anything done with it last night.  Lost and Life On Mars was on TV last night.  

With the new main this is my current setup:
55 pilot with bleed holes
screw turned 3/4 turn out
155 main
no needle spacer

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 20:16:35