Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Kamikaze air intake for the LS650 (Read 2136 times)
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Re: Kamikaze air intake for the LS650
Reply #15 - 03/12/09 at 18:57:02

Can you post a pic of how this looks on the bike?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #16 - 03/12/09 at 19:17:40

Staplebox wrote on 03/12/09 at 18:57:02:

Sure but it might look a little different on my bike than yours cause of some other mods I've done.  I'll try to get a pic tonight.  The wife and I are painting the laundry room at the moment... well, she is... I'm helping!

IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #17 - 03/12/09 at 19:38:42

I like this. I was going to buy a cone filter, but why spend the money when you can make your own and look decent? I would deff do a metal screen and glue it in place.

In gettting rid of the air box what you guys do with the "computer" or w/e the box is on the left side of the bike behind the small body piece?

Does any one know the inner diameter of the tube or the inner circumference? (so I can start looking for the proper container)

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #18 - 03/13/09 at 07:31:05

Looks like I've got the final product for my bike.  I used some PVC fittings to make this.  I tried it out a few minutes ago and it seems to provide a little more power in the upper midrange and high rpms than the previous design but that could just be placebo effect, weather or both.  This design does have about a 20-25% larger external opening than the previous containter/screw cap and, unlike the other design, has a tapered internal opening for smoother airlfow in.  The larger opening I feel is better for the higher air flow needs when riding at higher rpms.  It also gives me another 5/8" of tube length to further help with developing a good laminar flow.  

I've got a couple of different internal screens that I might experiment with to see if they make any difference.  

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #19 - 03/13/09 at 08:08:26

Staplebox wrote on 03/12/09 at 18:57:02:

For those that have removed the airbox, I imagine this would work fine with the battery in its stock position.  I'll paint it black and put some small "Kamikaze" decals on it.  

IP Logged
SavRon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #20 - 03/13/09 at 17:11:07

This mod sounds like it has great potential so far.

I'd really like to see this done to a stock bike , etc... no carb or muffler mods, and see what performance it would add.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #21 - 03/13/09 at 18:13:25

I'm pretty amazed with it.  It certainly has surprised me.  I like to do things differently, to experiment, often just because I want to or can.  In this case I wondered what an open filter + tube would do.  I surely didn't sit down and do tons of research before hand.  I just tried it.  That first ride with it was awesome.  I bet you could have seen the smile on my face a mile away!  Yesterday and today I've been searching out all kinds of stuff on the net to see if I can learn more theory behind it and figure out why it makes a big difference.  

There's a few members out there that have removed their airbox and put a pod filter on but I doubt few of them still have a stock muffler on the bike.  I wish one of them would throw some nylon stocking of the end of the tube, slap it on and go for a short ride and give some feedback.  

It seems to take the best qualities of both the airbox setup and a pod filter.  The airbox with tube is best at producing low end torque and works decently at high rpm.  The pod filter works best at high rpm but at the expense of some low end and mid range torque.  This is due to the pods inability to develop good laminar velocity at low rpm and therefore not create the kind of pressure difference needed to effectively draw gas up through the jets.  

I do believe there is a "sweet spot" in regards to tube length.  The longer the tube the more resistance which creates more vacuum which then is great for low end torque but then not so great for WOT and steady highway riding.  If the tube is too short then there's less pressure change and low rpm power suffers but high rpm is better, relative to a longer tube.  Air pressure-wise, figuring the correct length is probably not a lot different than figuring out the correct length and diameter of a woofer/subwoofer port.    

I thought about putting a pod filter on the tube instead but decided to stay with the open but linear air entry design.  I think the air not having to bend as it enters the tube has something to do with the performance realized from it.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #22 - 03/13/09 at 20:17:12

Here's why I think the Kamikaze mod works better than the airbox setup or a pod filter mounted directly to the carb.  

The first pic below shows the air pathway in stock form.  As you can see there are some serious bends the air has to make to get to the carb.  This adds resistance.  Turbulence created by this path, however, does get resolved in the tube prior to the air entering the carb mouth.  

The second pic shows air pathway with pod filter mounted as usual.  There is a small amount of turbulence as the air makes the curve from filter to the carb inlet.  Then once in the carb venturi, the air begins the pressure/velocity changes and turbulence begins to resolve as the air passes over the jets.  In this diagram I think the smoothing of the air and the vacuum effect is just getting established at the point that it should be pulling gas through the jets and being emulsified.  

The third pic shows less air turbulence as the air enters the tube due to less air bending than with a pod filter.  Then the pressure/velocity changes, which are needed for the carb to work best, as well as turbulence reduction occurs in the tube- rather than starting to occur in the carb venturi as with the pod filter mounted on the carb mouth.  When the air passes through the the tube and then carb venturi, the pressure/velocity changes have already occurred prior to entering the carb.  The air passing through the carb venturi is smooth and more effective at drawing gas up through the jets and a better emulsification of the air/gas mixture is achieved.    

Now, all you geniuses and carb gurus out there, tell me where you think my theory is wrong or questionable and how I can make it even better.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #23 - 03/14/09 at 01:06:07

looks/works like a velocity stack
now with a 180 "P" trap = ram air!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 03/14/09 at 04:49:52

Jim,

Using the stock rubber long intake stack to get the Suzuki tuned "ram boost" is a good idea.  Keeping the air resistance through the filter media very low is a good idea.  Having lots of carrying capacity and a fine dust removal rate and a nice long service life between having to mess with the filter is a good idea.   Having as many of the above as you can get makes the overall good idea even better.

Last mountain trip I put aside the idea of putting on the loud Harley muffer that is sitting over in the corner of my computer room as I type because I realized that I really didn't care all that much for all the loud snarly blatts and pops that come with that particular turf.

And I also realized that these performance maxed rejetted constantly fiddled with constantly retuned bikes I was riding with weren't leaving me behind at all.  Quite the opposite, on the way back just to prove the point to myself I set the maximum interstate pace my old stockish looking wee bagger could do.  Lancer kept up and passed me, but he was running his dual spark plug mod at the time so that wasn't surprising.  Everyone else lagged behind.  Some were miles behind.

Real world performance isn't about noise and it isn't about "maxing" this or that -- it is about balanced performance over the range you are working with.  Perhaps on that particular rain threatening day at that high mountain altitude my bike's this and that lined up in alignment with the mountain Karma forces better than the exhaust modded bikes did -- I dunno.  

But noisy and radical wasn't making any real power that exceeded quieter and more reasonable on that particular day.

As for your mod it is interesting and potentially very useful to the bobber and minimalists among us.  It looks good and it saves some of the ram-tuned performance elements they may have given up previously.  You need to run it a while and find out the rest of the story is and fix whatever that might be.  

On mine you had to sew the element lightly around the edges to keep the air box air blast from peeling it apart -- that was discovered after some use time.   You may discover your time to fill up the filter media is short and you need a certain yet to be discovered cleaning frequency.

You are using a very thin media with a small surface area.   Air velocity and rate of flow thru the media material is relatively high.  How are you stopping all the very fine dust like stuff?  If you don't trap it and hold it somehow some of it will bounce on through the thin filter and wind up in your engine oil.  

K&N uses their version of canola oil and I use Mazola frying pan spray (sticky like nobody's business) which traps the little stuff on a contact basis as the air bounces through some depth of material.  K&N tries to substitute folded surface area for depth (and that is debatable - I prefer inches of serial fiber depth for my depth)  

Both K&N and I depend on total fiber count to collide with, catch and hold a goodly total amount of trapped fine stuff (and I have a lot more material depth and fiber count available to me compared to K&N).   K&N has determined their cleaning frequency and I have mine doped out to a clean it and relube it once every 2 years when using the 2" thick Nu-foam batting.

You are proposing a very intentionally minimalist system that has some trade offs built into it -- perhaps you should stop and explain to the new folks what your filter will stop, what it won't stop and how frequently it will need attention to keep their engine healthy.

Our filter philosophy is totally different and we serve different segments of the list -- yours is bobberish and performance oriented and mine is the "we want it cheap, we want it to work well and we don't want to have to mess with it any more than we have to, preferably never".   Not much overlap in our audiences, really.  

My audience is old and radically lazy, actually.  Right cheap too.  Yoda-like old and wise and right tight with their bucks.   Yours is young and enthusiastic.  Luke Skywalker let's go toss a firecracker down the exhaust pipe and blow up the reactor enthusiastic.  That's OK, I am just jealous of their energy levels and how much they are willing to take on at a given time.

You got you a good idea -- keep after it as it looks very useful to the bobber folks who need good looks first, then bike performance as second, then fine filtration and long filter service life as a distant third.  Just  be clear for the newbies exactly what they are getting with your system and what the trade offs actually are.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #25 - 03/14/09 at 06:46:47

I had my pod filter off and noticed it had non of the restrictions that you were speaking of. Yet I am still going to see if I can tell the difference between regular cone on carb and cone on extension on carb. Which will be quite awhile from now because my gas tank doesn't get here until Tuesday.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #26 - 03/14/09 at 06:47:47

Oldfeller, those are some great points.  Thanks you so much for the  feedback.  I think this idea is an evolution of what I see and what you all see and recommend.  Your experience lets you see things in ways that I may not have seen or thought of.  That's why I value everyone's feedback.  I keep finding little ways to improve it as do all of you.  It might turn out to work great as is.  It might turn out to need a 1" larger opening plus a dust cover over the opening, a double filtration system if you will, during the hot, dry summer months for the overall best mix of performance, effectiveness and ease of use.  

I am now using the filter material that was in my cone filter.  It is double layered.  I also washed and dried a white dryer sheet and have that on top of the filter media. It introduces minimal resistance but color change will help indicate intervals needed between media changes.  I can periodically pull out the dryer sheet specimen, lay it on a clean, unused dryer sheet and observe for color change.  I'll take pics and post so you all can see as well.  It may not be the most scientific method but I feel it will be effective none the less.  There are two things I know for sure- it can continue to be improved upon some how and I know I ain't going back to the airbox or pod filter after experiencing riding with it.   

Thumper, let me fine tune this setup first. Making it ram air will give me a whole new dish of dynamics to have to solve!

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #27 - 03/14/09 at 11:57:33

Savage_Amusement wrote on 03/14/09 at 06:46:47:
I had my pod filter off and noticed it had non of the restrictions that you were speaking of. Yet I am still going to see if I can tell the difference between regular cone on carb and cone on extension on carb. Which will be quite awhile from now because my gas tank doesn't get here until Tuesday.

This is the cone filter I was using.

Here is a drawing of what mine looks like.

From looking at K&N filters I think they have a larger base and don't have the narrowing like the off brand ones do.  

« Last Edit: 03/14/09 at 15:16:21 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #28 - 03/14/09 at 14:55:57

Here's another design I threw together in about 5 minutes.  I had the rubber piece already and saw the metal cup in the house and viola.  I'll wrap it with filter material then put a unifilter over it.  The bottom is solid so I might open it up and put a screen in there as well so it will still have some direct flow benefit.  The positive thing about this is that there is more surface area for the air to pass through and, as others have pointed out, longer times between filter changes.  The negative things, in respect to the previous design, is that even with the bottom opened up some of the air still has to bend upon entry and the tube length may be a little too short for developing a good pressure change.  I did insert a piece of tapered PVC for a ventrui effect so that will help with vacuum some.  It is about the same overall length at the white capped one pictured a few posts earlier.  Anyhow, I don't know how it will work.  It's raining today, I was bored and found myself wondering what a difference a shorter tube and more airflow area would do.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 03/14/09 at 17:08:19

I like this one.

If you could leave this on the outside, it'd be pretty.

DJ, have you ever seen a wind tunnel?  They have screens x number of diameters upstream to ge steady flow conditions (high tech word warning - aka laminar) ok safe to look now.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 09:52:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kamikaze air intake for the LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.