Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Kamikaze air intake for the LS650 (Read 2136 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Kamikaze air intake for the LS650
03/11/09 at 09:24:43

Kamikaze (translated as divine wind)- hey, it sounded cool!  Anyhow, it's actually a DIY air intake that I feel maximizes airflow to the carb similar to a velocity stack.  I did this mod because I noticed that the pod filter has a siginifcant narrowing of the inside rubber, relative to the mounting flange, that sits right over the carb air inlet- at least on mine.  I imagine this narrowing doesn't help air volume and certianly induces some turbulence.  I wanted something better, something to maximize the dimension for airlfow  while minimizing air turbulence.  I feel nothing does this job better by design than the stock snorkel.

Here's what you need:
- Small piece of air filter material (HEPA vacuum cleaner filter, interior HVAC HEPA filter)
- A sturdy container with diameter the size of the ID of the stock air snorkel and a sturdy screw on lid
- Dremel tool
- Razor blade
- Cooking spray

A container like this works great.  

1.  Cut the container so that it fits in the snorkel.
2.  Cut, grind and open up the top of the lid leaving a shoulder
    around the top.
3. Cut a 5" cricle of air filter material and fit it over the container
    opening.
4.  Screw cap on the container.
5.  Use razor blade to trip excess from the bottom of the lid.
6.  Instert the new air filter into the snorkel.
7.  Spray air filter material with a light coat of cooking spray.
8.  Attatch snorkel to carb.
9.  Start bike.
10. Get on bike and ride!

Other options are adding a thin metal screen behind the filter.    

When your filter gets dirty just unscrew the top, replace filter, screw the top back on and trim the excess.    

« Last Edit: 03/11/09 at 18:25:54 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Re: Kamikaze air intake for the LS650
Reply #1 - 03/11/09 at 10:00:10

Mr Jim
How has the new filter system worked out. I was looking for a way to get rid of the air filter box. Let me know.Thanks for the good pictures and info on your filter up grade.
                                                          Jimmer
Isn't Jim a good,maybe a great name.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/11/09 at 10:55:51

and,...
any remnants of the Glycerin Suppositories, should only increase combustion!.....
Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/11/09 at 11:26:15

I think you need the metal screen.  Last thing you need is to suck up some trash and pull the whole thing in.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 03/11/09 at 12:00:07

I agree on the metal screen.  I got some a little bit ago as an option.  I'm ditching the polyfill material though.  I was looking at the bottom of the bag and I saw lots of little loose fibers gathered there.  Obvioulsy it's from the collective total of the bulk of polyfill and a small section itself will have very few fibers.   I'm sure that blowing it out before install would remove any loose fibers as well but I'm going a different route now.    

I also found what looks to be a simple drop in filter- it's a HEPA filter for a portable vacuum cleaner.  I'll take pics later and post.  

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 03/11/09 at 13:59:47

Here's with the new filter.  The filter is for a portable vacuum cleaner.  It's built impressively sturdy. Thirty second of trimming and viola! I've bot a metal screen I'm gonna put over the opening.

Now for the eval-  the snorkel really sucks some air.  It's got vacuum cleaner pulling power.  Just try it.  If you've got a pod filter on and the snorkel laying around, swap it out for a sec and start it up.  You'll see what I mean.  I can see now how the snorkel vacuum helps the carb work the way it was designed.  It creates a true vacuum with velocity as compared to the pod.   I've put my hands around most of the the pod filter while idleing and felt minimal vacuum.  With this if I get my hand near the opening I can hear the motor instantly start to struggle and die. It's not initially because of lack of air but rather the sudden spike in vacuum, which is already strong with the snorkel, pulls significantly more gas through the jets which quickly makes an overly rich mixture.  With no obstruction it revs nicely and strongly but already seems a little rich my jets that worked fine with the pod filter.  A word of caution- if you do this mod, be prepared to mess with the jets because it changes the dynamics of the carb substantially.  When tuned correctly, I think it will be a significant change in performance.  Got rain this evening.  I'll take the bike out with the new changes and post updates.  

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 03/11/09 at 14:17:50

my thoughts.....  looks nice ...  should work for a while.

But.... as the filter material gets dirty I'm thinking that it will start restricting the flow.    

One of the reasons they use the pleated material in cone filters.  More surface area so that the dirt doesn't clog it as soon.

But... you could try for a while and see .....   then report back...

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 03/11/09 at 17:20:52

WOW!!!! Somebody else out there has got to try this!  Some of you out there will likely wonder if what you are about to read is an exaggeration.  I'm human and I know how humans think.  Please, take 5 minutes and try this mod on your bike.  Heck, pop the pod off, grab the snorkel, throw a nylon stocking on the end and slap it on for a short trip down the road and back just to see how it works.  Now, I don't know how much of a difference it will make on a stock bike or one with the only upgrade being a HD muffler.  But, if you've got a free flowing or fairly free flowing muffler and your carb is tuned pretty good and you're running with a pod filter, PLEASE try it.  

Here's my observations thus far:

BIG difference in riding.  It pulls like my M50 did after I had done exhaust mods, intake mods and fuel processor (FI).  This mod made the biggest noticeable difference than any other single mod I've done.  No doubt the prior carb rejetting and exhaust mods helped this mod to make such a significant difference.  

Noticeably more power on take off.  I could certainly feel more torque when leaving from a stop.  It was very obvious.  Here's a funny thing- I have an 800 foot gravel driveway that I have to travel across 2x anytime I ride the bike.  I know exactly where to feather the clutch, where to stay in first, what section to ride in 2nd gear and so on.  I've done it so many times I could do it blindfolded.  I ride it textbook style and very safely.  I've had a buddy go down on it last summer.  I respect gravel!  When I took the bike out for a test ride, the rear tire kept breaking loose (spinning) on the gravel.  I never do this when I ride the driveway.  The difference in torque on take off or very slow cruising and easing out the clutch made the tire break loose several times.  It scared me the first few times cause I was riding the gravel the way I always do but the bike wasn't handling like I was used to.  

Acceleration on the pavement from a stopped position was noticeably stronger and consistent from low rpm to high rpm.  It felt like the motor progressively got stronger as I went faster.  There was no feeling of the torque leveling off that I'm used to feeling just before shifting up.

Steady speed then acceleration- really BIG difference here.  When riding steady at 40-60mph and rolling on the accelerator, the front end decompresses (raises) and the bike truly accelerates.  What a sweet feeling!  I haven't felt it like that on a bike in a while.  I love that feeling.  The higher the RPM the more power it seems the motor has.  The motor at no time felt stressed or that I was using the majority of its power.  

Again, please try it.  For many of you it won't cost a dime, just a few minutes of wrenching and a ride.  I want to know others experience with this.  

Versy and T Mack, I went with the metal screen and material from a HEPA filter with a 700 rating, which means the carb won't have problems with allergies either.  I got a 2'x2' piece for $6.  When it gets dirty it'll take about 2 minutes to replace it.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #8 - 03/11/09 at 17:30:14

Thanks for the tip, I might have to look into something of the sort.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 03/11/09 at 18:52:57

guess im just spoiled
did the k&n drop in
the de snorkel
3" hard krome slash cut muff
and a turbolator (?) instert on the engine side of the carb
have had the ability to pull the front off the oil in second since
1st is too easy a pull up, last year the local brew pub had a batch of barley wine
that i had tooooo many of...1 gear wheel stand out of the P lot (70 ft?)
this ol fart dont need to be doin that...
paddys day comin up better leave suzi in the carrriage house!!!

BTW
when they re badaged the    "SAVAGE"
they named it the S 40
S for sport ,40 for cid

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #10 - 03/11/09 at 19:28:03

Thumper, I'd imagine with that setup you are getting some of the performance similar to this setup.  That's probably why, when all combined, you are popping wheelies so easily.  After riding it this evening I can now see why it would be easy.     

Here are pics of the metal screen that is glued on to the rim.  Obviously this is without the filter material or retainer cap.  

From inside.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 03/12/09 at 06:58:40

Very nice job; simple and easy to do, inexpensive and effective

Looks like a candidate for the "mod of the year" category.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #12 - 03/12/09 at 11:51:57

If you use the auto industry's standard calculation of air required for "nil" vacuum restriction within the air intake system, you should have at least 130% of engine capacity in available air volume between the throttle butterflies and the air filter element.  

I'm not sure if the same applies for motorcycle but I bet it is similarly 130% or around that number.  The Kamikaze tube has a volume of about 30 cubic inches or 75% of engine capacity.  That falls short of the 130% recommended above but is improved over the pod filter.  In addition, it creates a better, more uniform vacuum as compared to a pod filter and it has no narrowing or other obstruction to airflow at the point where the air enters the carb mouth.   My math may be a little rusty but I think I got it right.  

I think my tube needs about 25% more air filter surface area for pulling air in.  I'm working on some ideas to solve this.    

IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #13 - 03/12/09 at 12:28:14

Wow, I like that a lot. It's cheap and easy...

I'm currently re-packing my stock filter frame with Poly-Fil as described at http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1183640744. However, it will have virtually no resistance, so I'm concerned with running lean since I'm at sea level, have my idle screw 3 turns out and have a #155 main and going up to a #50 pilot. Would I really be able to completely ditch the metal frame filter and enrich my mix in the process?

How long have you been running it this way? How's the effect on mileage? Does the filter stay clean enough long enough, or will I be replacing the innards every other week?

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #14 - 03/12/09 at 13:51:19

meck wrote on 03/12/09 at 12:28:14:
Wow, I like that a lot. It's cheap and easy...

I'm currently re-packing my stock filter frame with Poly-Fil as described at http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1183640744. However, it will have virtually no resistance, so I'm concerned with running lean since I'm at sea level, have my idle screw 3 turns out and have a #155 main and going up to a #50 pilot. Would I really be able to completely ditch the metal frame filter and enrich my mix in the process?

How long have you been running it this way? How's the effect on mileage? Does the filter stay clean enough long enough, or will I be replacing the innards every other week?

Meck, I've done about 15 miles with it so far.  There were a few stretches of steady rpm riding in there but most was intentional starting, stopping, hard accels and roll-ons in various gears.  I'm thinking that the combo of free air + vacuum creates a better environment for pulling the gas thru the jets and then emulsifiying the mixture before it enters the cylinder.  Throttle response felt improved.  I think it allows the pilot jet air-correction jet to work better IMO.  I don't know nearly as much about carbs as many folk on here do and I might have some of the stuff mixed up.  I'm sure they will correct me soon enough!

Here's an exerpt from an article about the pilot air correction jet:
"The Pilot Circuit (also called the primary, low speed or idle circuit) consists of a brass fuel jet- called the pilot jet (in the float bowl), the pilot mixture screw (outside of, but adjacent to the float chamber), and the pilot air-correction jet (in perimeter of the “mouth” of the carb). The Pilot circuit delivers it’s air/fuel mixture through a small hole in the floor of the carb outlet, downstream of the throttle plate. It regulates the fuel mixture at idle and small throttle openings, typically under one-quarter throttle. The pilot air correction jet admits air to the pilot system, through a channel above the pilot jet, as a fuel/air ratio modifier and emulsion improver."

I don't know about other's pod filters but mine had a narrowing inside that appeared, when on the carb, would cause some obstruction to the pilot air correction jet circuit.  It may not cover it up but the air certainly had to quickly bend 90 degrees up and again 90 degrees towards the carb.  I think with the pod filter setup I had, I had some rich spots and some lean spots throught the rpm range.  Some of that may have been the jetting/mixture screw setup as well.  Testing yesterday seemed to show a smoothing out of these spots.  I've got a #55 pilot with bleed holes.  My testing included some adjustments with the idle mixture screw.  With the pod filter it idled and ran best 1 full turn out.  With this mod it seems to run best all the way in.  I think the vacuum more efficiently pulls fuel through the pilot jet whereas with the pod filter the vacuum was less so opening it up a turn helped to compensate.  

I'm not saying this is a sure fire improvement for everyone.  I sure made a difference on my bike.  Probably using the K&N and filter in the airbox and and desnorkeling the top probably gets you closer to this setup than the pod filter.  I would love for a few others out there to try it and see how it works for there bikes.  This setup like I've got pictured is pretty sensitive to the material used for filtering.  The material has to be as free flowing as possible due to the narrow inlet area to get the true benefit.  I've tried several things and the best two so far have been 4 washed and dried dryer sheets (the little square ones you throw in the dryer with the wet clothes), and a piece of filter from an indoor HVAC filter rated at 700 (long explanation on the rating).  as far as how long it stays clean? I don't know.    I do know the I live on a long gravel road that gets very dusty.  I've had my pod filter on since October.  I cut it open and removed the material last night.  It looked amazingly clean to me.  I guess if I have to screw on a new 10 cent cloth once every 3-4 months it will be worth it to me.  

BTW, here's the whole carb article.  It's a great read.
http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/56/96/  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 06:22:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kamikaze air intake for the LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.