Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Kamikaze air intake for the LS650 (Read 2136 times)
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Re: Kamikaze air intake for the LS650
Reply #60 - 03/19/09 at 11:31:45

What if you used a straw that had a very slight taper? Mayby only a 64th within 1 " but taken all together represented a real constriction in total diameter. Would that extra compression show up in a more concentated faster air stream?  Would it reduce turbulance quicker resulting in a greater enhancement of flow? Or would we get a reduction in air flow, kind of counter productive? Deminishing returns?

I noticed that a sharpy pen body has such a taper, very slight but there. I can get a whole bunch for a dollar in the flea market, Humm. Man this thread is cooler than color tv.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #61 - 03/19/09 at 14:42:53

seviersavage wrote on 03/19/09 at 11:31:45:
What if you used a straw that had a very slight taper? Mayby only a 64th within 1 " but taken all together represented a real constriction in total diameter. Would that extra compression show up in a more concentated faster air stream?  Would it reduce turbulance quicker resulting in a greater enhancement of flow? Or would we get a reduction in air flow, kind of counter productive? Deminishing returns?

I noticed that a sharpy pen body has such a taper, very slight but there. I can get a whole bunch for a dollar in the flea market, Humm. Man this thread is cooler than color tv.
Seviersavage

I don't know if that would work better.  My first thought is that it would indeed accelerate the outflow more but I think once the air got to any open space, such as tube area or the mouth of the carb, it would creat more turbulence at that open spot that straight straws.  But who knows.  Maybe could try it with my tester tube setup, add some smoke and observe for turbulence. If I do that I'll take video of it for all to see.  If that concept does work, I do think that tubes of a small diameter than sharpies would work better.  But then again maybe not.  Each time I try something I learn something new either because of the results or because it makes me research something specific about it, or both.  

I do know one thing for sure.  I spent a good bit of time today on a 2008 Honda VTX 1800 and a 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100.  I rode a good bit of very curvy back roads and some highway riding on both.  It made me realize just how fast my bike is, grin factor and all.  Those were nice bikes, but I was sure glad to get back on my bike.  Sure, it ain't a sportsbike and I don't need a sportsbike squid chiming in about power and speed.  I've had I think a dozen maybe a few more bikes of all styles and I know exactly what speed and power is.  But when I twist the throttle on my bike, I get torque, speed and total grin.  The grin factor is 3x what is was on those other two bikes.  I've got a much higher appreciation for the thumper now.  Around town and with the mods, it's probably the best fun/comfort bike I've had.  

The owners rode mine as well.  I think their goal was to make me envious of their bigger, loaded, high $$$ bikes.  I think they wonder how I could like riding my bike compared to all those other head-turner bikes that can be had with some creative financing and a little financial sacrifice.  It was pretty obvious their plan backfired.  I've seen few men grin in amazement as much as those two did after riding mine.  I'm guilty of that mindset in the past.  I understand where they are coming from.  I'm glad I got past that stage.  Enough said.  

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #62 - 03/19/09 at 21:17:53

This is the honeycomb accelerator we made during arts and crafts time.  It's about 3" x 2.5".  I haven't had a chance to make one for the intake tube but will try to get to it tomorrow and test this weekend.

BTW, I don't think anyone ever caught the photoshop job done on the suppository container in the initial post of this thread.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #63 - 03/20/09 at 06:26:32

Lancer's? I caught that right away, and I LOL'RD about it.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #64 - 03/20/09 at 22:00:18

Got the new honeycomb accelerator screen done.  The straw lengths are 6x the diameter.  I'll try it out tomorrow.

From a site about honeycombs and wind tunnels:
"The lateral components of mean velocity and of the larger turbulent eddies can be reduced more effectively by a honeycomb... cell length of the honeycomb should be at least six or eight times the cell diameter."

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #65 - 03/20/09 at 23:31:16

I saw it too, all could think of was dam lancer what are you in to?

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #66 - 03/21/09 at 05:03:16

I randomly picked a name and had a little fun with it.   Smiley

Anyhow, the red straws are almost twice the diameter as the straws used in the first honeycomb prototype but produces the same result. I guess because the ratio of length to diameter was maintained.  BTW, the straws were donated by a local Krystals.  

In the other prototypes, there was some type of support needed at the opening to keep the filter material from getting sucked in but each design introduced some degree of resistance which I didn't like.  With this design not only does the filter support present the least resistance but it also helps enhance the flow.  For maximum passive air flow I'm figuring this design will be about the best it's gonna get.  

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #67 - 03/21/09 at 18:49:26

O.K.
Inquiring minds want to know, I'm ready to cut some arrows down into little pieces.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #68 - 03/21/09 at 22:09:57

seviersavage wrote on 03/21/09 at 18:49:26:
O.K.
Inquiring minds want to know, I'm ready to cut some arrows down into little pieces.
Seviersavage

Find yourself an archery shop, no need to chop up good ones to make short tubes.

Besides, I'm looking for metal honey comb.

WWW   IP Logged
jboy381
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #69 - 08/26/12 at 06:55:00

any updates on this topic???

john

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #70 - 08/26/12 at 09:33:20

WWW   IP Logged
jboy381
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 08/28/12 at 14:39:01

thanks...

john

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #72 - 08/28/12 at 15:18:00

This weekend I'm gonna start a new project myself about a cheap air filter fix. It will involve the stock filter frame utilizing pleated air filter material from residential A/C units. They should have a fairly good flow rate and also have mesh backing so that it can't collapse. I'm gonna try to find out if one layer offers enough filtration or several are required. They are fairly cheap and can be cut up to size and a size like a 24x24x1 for example will supply several fixes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 01:57:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kamikaze air intake for the LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.