SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: pics of S40 upgrades
Reply #45 - 01/29/09 at 16:57:53

I've got a pod filter to install too... Will probably de-snorkel at the same time. I'll toss it in there when I go that route. Thanks again for the info!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #46 - 01/29/09 at 20:18:04

There is so much great info here. We really need to preserve this thread.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #47 - 01/31/09 at 03:20:35

That is one nice looking savage ! ! !
could you describe in more detail how you did the seat ?
where/how do you move the rectifier.
I put a one piece seat from a 2007 on my 98 and i agree with you that i'm up way too high. i would love to do this mod
thanks

IP Logged
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
Reply #48 - 03/28/09 at 09:28:07

Just got done doing my "saddle" seat mod.  I was really impressed with 1)how easy it was and 2)how cheap it was (cheap is always good)  Haven't rode with it yet because i'm still layed up and now have a big air cast on my left foot.  And also because it's been raining for a week straight.  But I just wanted to interject my  $.02 on the whole thing.  I completed the whole thing for eaily under $10 pry almost under $5.  The Spray foam I got was for windows so it expands the same but stays some what springy.  And went to local carpet store and got a huge piece of carpet padding, (I could eaisly do atleast 4 or 5 more seats) for $4.  And it looks great

Courage is being scared, but still sadeling up and riding out.
Big Nix   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #49 - 03/28/09 at 09:40:33

Awesome.  Pretty easy to do with the only challenging part being the bump in the seat pan for the rectifier.  Either you leave the bump and account for it with the cushion or you vut it out.  I cut mine out.

It really feels like a different bike.  I've always liked cruisers with a sort of out of balance seat/handlebar setup whereas the seat is lower than normal and the bars are higher than normal. When I'm on my bike and see myself in the reflection of a window, my arms look to be about an inch away from being parallel to the ground.  That is my favorite riding position.  It's more like riding in the bike rather than on the bike.

You know you gotta post some pics now.

IP Logged
Scottler

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saratoga County, NY
Reply #50 - 03/28/09 at 13:38:52

One of the sharpest looking Savages I've ever seen.  Well done, my friend!

Do you need directions to my house to do that to mine, or would Google Maps be sufficient??   Grin

IP Logged
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
Reply #51 - 03/29/09 at 16:21:12

diamond jim wrote on 03/28/09 at 09:40:33:
Awesome.  Pretty easy to do with the only challenging part being the bump in the seat pan for the rectifier.  Either you leave the bump and account for it with the cushion or you vut it out.  I cut mine out.

It really feels like a different bike.  I've always liked cruisers with a sort of out of balance seat/handlebar setup whereas the seat is lower than normal and the bars are higher than normal. When I'm on my bike and see myself in the reflection of a window, my arms look to be about an inch away from being parallel to the ground.  That is my favorite riding position.  It's more like riding in the bike rather than on the bike.

You know you gotta post some pics now.

Okay well here's a couple of pics the back seat was still a little screwed up but i re-did it, and in the first attempt of putting it on i droped the screw in the air box so now i gotta take that off  Shocked

here it is don't look to bad for under $10

and here's a close up like i said before you can see the wrinkles in the back seat but i re-streched it and it looks alot better now just gotta take the airbox apart to dig the screw out.  It's cool though i was gonna do that anyway to do the kamkazi intake mod.  But just hit me up if yah like what yah see.  Cool

Big Nix   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #52 - 03/29/09 at 17:09:53

The front seat looks great!  Awesome job.  It really makes the bike look more custom.   

You said you've redone the back pillon. If it doesn't look as good as the front seat yet, play around with some more cotton batting.  Cut a long strip that's maybe 3" wide, wrap it around the sides to fill it.  Wrap it so the top edge is even with the top part of the seat and the bottom rolls under the pillon pan.  Then add another layer of batting on top of it all, wrapping underneath to hide the top edge of the extra side batting and staple.  That should fill it out nicely.  The back corners you may have to fold like military sheets to get a good fit.

How's the ride now? Does it feel better?  How about when braking?

IP Logged
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
Reply #53 - 03/29/09 at 17:52:43

Managed to get the back redone good just stuck the cover in the dryer for like half an hour, then streched the crap out of it and stapled it looks a hell of alot better.  And as far as the ride won't be doing that for atleast another 3 weeks had surgery on my left foot about 3 weeks ago, so no riding but did sit on it and it is alot more comfortable.  It is kinda funny thought you'd think more padding would equal more comfort but it's actually the complete opposite.
will most some more pics of the whole thing after i take the air box apart to find my other screw.

Big Nix   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #54 - 03/29/09 at 17:58:29

Big Nix wrote on 03/29/09 at 17:52:43:
... It is kinda funny though you'd think more padding would equal more comfort but it's actually the complete opposite...

Exactly!  It's the saddle thing I mentioned on another post.  Shape and support are more important than padding.  Glad to hear you got the back done.  

Now get healed up so you can ride!  

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #55 - 03/29/09 at 19:58:58

Big Nix, that seat looks real sharp. I'm tearing into mine tommorrow. Can't wait. I've got a nice long ride from Fort Worth to Lubbock coming up, and I'm looking forward to doing it on the reshaped seat.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #56 - 03/29/09 at 20:40:00

More padding does make a more comfortable seat,wider is better too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #57 - 04/03/09 at 14:42:27

I got one of them evil K&N filters today.  I thought I'd try it out since it's the closest K&N I've found that had some of the characteristics of the Kamikaze intake.  Funny story- the first few stops signs by the house I thought my clutch was slipping.  One stop sign is on a medium incline.  Crap!  The bike had never done that before.  Yet it rode fine going down the road and showed no other signs of clutch problems.  Then it dawned on me- the other intake gave me tons of low end torque and I had gotten used to it.  When I got back I put the other one back and tried it just for peace of mind. Yep, that's what it was. And that really sucks big time because I like the look of the K&N more but I like the power of the Kamikaze.  I want my cake and eat it too, dang it! 

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #58 - 04/03/09 at 14:50:46

Needs the stock rubber ducky and the DJ turbulator.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #59 - 04/03/09 at 15:09:36

I got worried there for a minute.  Well, I was worried and pissed. It was like I had no power on take off.  I was just glad to figure out it wasn't the clutch.  A side problem is that my cam chain suddenly started rattling about a week ago.  I've only got 1100 miles on the bike.  I'm thinking the torque has started to stretch the chain sooner than normal.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 18:44:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › pics of S40 upgrades

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.