Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
pics of S40 upgrades (Read 2789 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
pics of S40 upgrades
01/26/09 at 12:13:14

New pics of bike and mods.  I sold my M50 and my wife gave me her stock S40.  I thought I'd ride the S40 til I eventually sold it and got another bike.  However, after riding it for a little while, I realized how awesome this bike is.  I will add another bike to the stable in the future but I'm certainly hanging on the thumper.  I figured I'd make it mine though.  I wanted to clean the bike up and give it a unique personality while maintaining total usability and function.  

Here's where I'm at so far:

Seat:

Rear fender/brakelight/saddlebag mounts:

Close up of saddlebag mounts:

Bar mod with are-end mirror:

IP Logged
I once had a mohawk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: pics of S40 upgrades
Reply #1 - 01/26/09 at 12:29:51

Your bike looks awsome. I was just talking to a friend lastnight about what I want to do to my 04 Savage and what I see today in your bike is just what I explained yesterday. Very nice bike.

Just a few questions.
1. Are the saddle bag supports from suzuki or are they custom?
2. What year is your S40?
3. Is that the stock seat and did you trim it down?
4. Where did you get the tail light and rear turn signals and were they hard to install?

P.S. I don't know if you forgot but you also have a set of Ed L.'s forward controls.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 01/26/09 at 12:33:32

Nice bike. I'm looking to do something similar with my brake and turn signals... Just, not really sure how I want to accomplish it yet. :-P

I like the look with the belt guard off too... But, with the girlfriend riding along, I'd be afraid of having her pants get caught.

Anyone who had the belt guard removed... Do you ever ride with a passenger? Any problems?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 01/26/09 at 14:04:17

Crap!  Sorry Ed!  I forgot a close-up of your awesome FC.  

Mohawk, it's an '06.  I trimmed the seat down.  I removed the cover and foam.  The plastic seat pan has many valleys and humps- just flip the seat over and you'll see what I mean.  I squirted expanding foam over the seat pan.  It expanded and filled in all of the valleys.  Once dry, I took a hacksaw blade and simply cut through the foam, letting the blade ride across the humps.  In doing so I also cut the indention in the seat pan that accomodates the space for the rectifier (i had already moved the rectifier).  The result is a super flat, solid seat pan.  I covered this with thin but very dense foam and reused the stock seat cover.  I love it cause I feel like I'm riding in the bike and not on the bike.  On the stock seat I felt like I might flip over the handlebars were I to hit the front brake too hard.  

The saddlebag supports were left over from my M50 and include only the vertical sections.  The spacers from the fender to the supports and the bolts in them came from a local Lowe's store.  The rear fender is more than solid enough to support bags.  

Regarding the tail light, when you remove all of the stock stuff you'll find a wonderfully solid bracket inside and towards the back of the fender.  It can be used to mount any kind of custom bracket.  I made a custom bracket that holds the tail light, turn signals and tag.  Taking that big light off of the rear fender really cleans it up.  I had the all the holes from the stock light and fender supports welded closed and the fender reapinted.  I lowered the rear fender by using 3/4 inch spacers between the fender and where the frame.  It's about a 1 1/4 drop at the very back tip of the fender.  It gives the illusion of the bike being lowered without sacrificing any suspension.

Simon, I rarley ride with a passenger- maybe 3 times in the last 3 years.      

IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #4 - 01/26/09 at 14:10:38

You wouldn't want to go into any detail about your fender lowering mod would you?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 01/26/09 at 14:14:13

bluesavage218 wrote on 01/26/09 at 14:10:38:
You wouldn't want to go into any detail about your fender lowering mod would you?

I just went back and added some of the detail to the previous post.  When I get home I'll write up a more detailed version.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 01/26/09 at 15:18:22

Very nice,... smooth lines....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 01/26/09 at 16:03:47

bluesavage218 wrote on 01/26/09 at 14:10:38:

Maybe this will help:

If you have small hands and some patience, you could probably do this mod without removing the wheel.  I did it one time like that.  Remove the seat.  Jack the bike up til the rear tire is off of the ground.  Look inside the fender and find the four bolts that hold the fender to the frame.  Reach in with a 12mm wrench and remove one of the top bolts.  Take that bolt to a hardware store and find another similar metric bolt that is 3/4 to 1 inch longer.  Get 2 of them along with spacers that the bolt will go through.  When back at the bike remove the other top bolt.  Next, loosen the two bottom bolts a little but don't remove them.  Back them out maybe a half inch.  Now, reach in between the fender and upper frame support and put the spacer in between the fender and frame, sliding one of the new longer bolts through the inside fender hole, the spacer and into the frame threads.  Screw the bolt into the frame just enough til the threads catch.  Do the same with the other space and new longer bolt.  Tighten all four fender bolts and you're done.  It's pretty tough to get in there like that but it can be done.  

The other time I did it was when I removed the rear tire.  Then it's a breeze.  Also, if you ride a passenger a lot and want to be sure the bolt is correctly torqued, you need do it with the tire removed.  I simply tightened them as tight as they were when I removed them.  

The seat/seat pan will flex enough to still get the allen bolt screw in where it secures the seat to the frame.  It's a tight fit the first time you do it.  I wouldn't go with a 1" spacer.  

This mod gives a similar look of a bike that has been lowered some without losing function.  There's a pretty good bit of space inside the fender above the back tire than the suspension will allow the tire to move.  You could probably do even a 1" spacer.  However, if you are concerned about this, maybe because you ride a passenger, try the 3/4" or even the 1/2 inch if it makes you feel better.

Total cost- about $3.

« Last Edit: 01/26/09 at 21:07:11 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
Gamma742
YaBB Newbies

2003 Suzuki Savage
LS650

San Diego, CA
Reply #8 - 01/26/09 at 17:46:12

Nice work Jim  Wink

I sent you a PM

Was supposed to be for the wife, but was it???
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #9 - 01/26/09 at 17:51:51

very sweet.  Nice clean lines..the way a bike should be!   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #10 - 01/26/09 at 18:14:54

Thanks man, I may give it a try

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 01/26/09 at 19:08:05

Oh, one other nice side effect to the rear fender mod if you use saddlebags connected with a yoke like mine.  By lowering the fender it makes the area where the saddlebag's yoke lays across the rear fender more horizontal so it's easier to install bags straighter if thats how you prefer them.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #12 - 01/26/09 at 20:59:39

I borrowed KwakNut's picks of his before & after rear shock lowering for some comparison.

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #13 - 01/26/09 at 21:04:05

Diamond Jim,

That bike looks awesome, real nice job man.

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #14 - 01/26/09 at 21:10:48

Thanks.  I had originally started to try lowering the rear shocks.  I couldn't get the first shock apart unless I did something that would ultimately ruin them.  So I figured there's gotta be a different way to accomplish what I was looking for.  The rear fender lowering mod worked for me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 16:22:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › pics of S40 upgrades

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.