Send Topic Print
Which air filter? (Read 110 times)
sidny4
YaBB Newbies

Thumping since May

Fargo, ND
Which air filter?
04/08/09 at 07:16:59

I want to replace the stock air intake with a performance cone air filter. Does anyone have a recommendation for a filter? I don't want a filter I would have to oil.

There was a performance filter sold on the site here that you didn't have to oil, anyone know what happened to that? Last I heard Lancer was working with the manufacturer to figure out why the connector has a tendency to tear.

'08 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Re: Which air filter?
Reply #1 - 04/08/09 at 07:25:58

I actually went down to the only stealership in town (yamaha) and they had a huge selection of cone air filters for about $12. No oil required. I don't recall which brand they were. Definately not K & N!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 04/08/09 at 08:09:00

I always understood the stock air box was tuned to the engine which is why it has so much torque.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #3 - 04/08/09 at 08:51:35

I just installed a KN model RC1250 on my savage. I can feel a difference in the performance. I also did the Carb up grade. These make a different
power package that the standard equipment. Good luck with your bike.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/08/09 at 08:59:29

One of the reasons you oil the air filters is because it protects the element from airborne petroleum and chemical contaminants, as are found in automobile exhaust and industrial pollution.  These type contaminants cannot be blown out with an air hose, any more than you can blow out oil stains from your clothes.  Either you buy a filter that you oil with a special water soluble oil and then when its dirty, wash it out with the appropriate soap solution, or you throw it away like any other paper filter element.

Do not be fooled by claims of more power just because you change to a aftermarket filter.  Suzuzki designed the stock filter to be adequate for the engine in its stock configuration.  Unless you change the jets or make some other mods to the engine, you don't need more air and may get less power due to turbulence issues.  In any case, test links  demonstrate that more airflow means more dirt goes into the engine:

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

IP Logged
sidny4
YaBB Newbies

Thumping since May

Fargo, ND
Reply #5 - 04/08/09 at 14:50:15

I have replaced the jets and put on a free flowing exhaust.

The main reason I don't want an air filter that you oil is because of some of the stories I've heard about the oil you use on the filters ends up gumming up your carb/injectors.

'08 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/08/09 at 15:41:16

I've not heard that before.  I can tell you that I use the filter oil that K&N sells, and never had any problem with it on my Savage or various cars that have used a K&N filter.  Maybe someone else has had a different experience?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 14:39:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Which air filter?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.