Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Adjuster Life (Read 4458 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Cam Chain Adjuster Life
Reply #60 - 06/30/09 at 20:53:29

Ver,

One more question (sorry!):

I'm the lazy type.  I'd like to measure the wear in my cam chain, but I don't want to remove anything out of the ordinary to do it.

I'll be removing the head cover to torque the head bolts soon.  Can I measure cam chain stretch where the chain will be exposed adjacent to the camshaft?

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #61 - 06/30/09 at 23:23:17

Digger wrote on 06/30/09 at 20:35:01:
How are you estimating chain life based on plunger extension alone?  i.e., what are your assumptions?

In doc's case, it's an estimate from a similar case.

"I'll be removing the head cover to torque the head bolts soon.  Can I measure cam chain stretch where the chain will be exposed adjacent to the camshaft?"

Only half the required length is exposed, but you can count out 11 pins and measure that if you're accurate.  i.e. use a caliper not a yard stick.  Then just half the requirement.

WWW   IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #62 - 07/01/09 at 06:09:08

Just one more data point. I'm (finally) replacing the cam chain, adjuster and guides in my 2002. I bought the bike with about 12k and it has a bit over 22k now. I think I'm the second owner but not sure. I've always used dino oil and have no idea what the PO did.

The old chain measures 127.6mm as per the SSM (128.9 is the service limit). I'll be installing a verslavy adjuster.

(Verslagen: I'll be sending you my old adjuster. It was out pretty far when I disassembled but I'm not sure if the plunger had beveled out the opening yet. If you can re-use it, great.)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #63 - 07/01/09 at 06:35:11

Great Ken, I need those spares.  If nothing else I can get ahead on plungers, as they take the most time.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #64 - 07/09/09 at 20:57:24

Here are my data:

Year:  2001

Mileage:  10,100 miles

Old or new adjuster:  The original adjuster was in there when I first opened it up.  I replaced it with a Verslavy 2-holer.

The original adjuster that was in the bike was the new-style adjuster, not the old-style adjuster.

Plunger extension:  14.5 mm

Chain stretch:  Not inspected

Indications:  None.  I opened it up to inspect the adjuster.

Repair action:  There was no damage.  I replaced the adjuster with a Verslavy

Type of Oil:  Dino (Mobil Clean 5000, 10W-40)

Rider Type:  Conservative to Moderate

Where do you ride the most:  Around town exclusively, with short spurts on the freeway or other fast roads around town

Number of previous owners:  I bought the bike from the original owner when it had 50 miles on it.  So, for all intents and purposes, I'm the original owner.

Both tensioner guides looked fine, as far as I could tell, I left them in there.  Both were original.

I set the Verslavy to the first hole, I could not quite reach the second hole yet.  There is about 3.5 mm of pin travel before the pin reaches the edge of the adjuster body cut-out.

I left the original cam chain in there.

Ver, if you need any more info, plz let me know!

Here is what the old adjuster looked like when I removed the clutch cover:

14.5 mm of plunger extension.

« Last Edit: 12/12/10 at 21:54:17 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #65 - 07/10/09 at 08:51:46

Digger wrote on 07/09/09 at 20:57:24:
Type of Oil:  Dino (Mobil Clean 5000, 10W-40)

I suggest you consider using a more robust oil for reduced wear of your engine parts.  If you're in moderate summer temperatures and don't have a lot of idling or very slow running with poor airflow over the engine, among 40 wt oils are:
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40
Mobil 1 Motorcycle 10W-40

If you do ride in very hot conditions, consider a 50 wt:
Mobil 1 Motorcycle 20W-50

I listed Mobil's oils because that's what you are presently using; all major brands are just about equally good.  I don't like any automotive 10W-40.  Among "racing" oils we must be sure the oil is labeled for motorcycles, and Mobil's are proscribed for wet clutches.  Dual-rated diesel & gasoline engine oils are widely used in motorcycles with good results.  While ExxonMobil's line up is as good as any, my current preference is the new 15W-40 from Conoco/Phillips/76/Kendall with their "Liquid Titanium" additive which does seem to be something new and useful.  The oil is probably only available in gallon jugs from truck supply stores and truck stops.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #66 - 07/10/09 at 09:14:38

I'm guessing that newer bikes are shipping with 9 or 10 mm plunger extention.  The 1st couple of mm's of wear will be fast due to high spot removal on the guides.  Leaving around 3 mm of wear for the 1st 10k miles.  Not bad.  You'll be switching to the second hole around 20k miles.  Dino or syn, that's good mileage.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #67 - 07/10/09 at 10:46:00

verslagen1 wrote on 07/10/09 at 09:14:38:

I'm guessing that newer bikes are shipping with 9 or 10 mm plunger extention.  The 1st couple of mm's of wear will be fast due to high spot removal on the guides.  Leaving around 3 mm of wear for the 1st 10k miles.  Not bad.  You'll be switching to the second hole around 20k miles.  Dino or syn, that's good mileage.

Ver,

I forgot to mention that I was quite impressed with the quality of the Verslavy adjuster....nice work!  Thanks again for making these available.

Question:  About how much pin travel do you figure I will have left on the first hole when I'm first able to switch to the second hole (I've currently got 3.5 mm of pin travel left on the first hole and could not make the second hole work yet)?

TIA!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #68 - 07/10/09 at 11:42:38

Digger wrote on 07/10/09 at 10:46:00:
I forgot to mention that I was quite impressed with the quality of the Verslavy adjuster....nice work!  Thanks again for making these available.

Question:  About how much pin travel do you figure I will have left on the first hole when I'm first able to switch to the second hole (I've currently got 3.5 mm of pin travel left on the first hole and could not make the second hole work yet)?

Thanks

Answer... don't worry about it.  You have the worry free version.  When the plunger hits the end of travel it will stop and your chain will begin to rattle.  A loose chain isn't a problem.  It will take tens of thousands of miles to wear the guides to the point that the chain will jump.  

If you look at the FSSNOC site, there's a thumper that they replace the auto cam chain adjuster with a manual one, externally accessable.  Adjustment procedure is to take it up tight and back off a little.  They advise this to get the max mileage out of the chain.

So having the chain a little loose for awhile should not be an issue.  I wouldn't change it untill it hits end of travel because it will increase spring tension which causes acceleration wear.  You'll note that one of the things that was changed with the latest adjuster is increased spring tension.  And we are experiencing accelerated wear over the old style spring.  Some feel it's low quality chains, others it's the oil.  All contribute.

To answer your question directly, about 10k miles.  Also note that in the adjuster check post, I recommend checking every 5k miles.  If you record the plunger extention at these inspection points, you'll be able to calculate when it will hit the end of travel.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #69 - 03/17/10 at 22:29:59

the chart on page 1 is now updated.

WWW   IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #70 - 03/18/10 at 00:56:59

12.5k miles
old
18mm
did not check chain
noisy sound
replaced rear guide
synth
moderate
ride everywhere
11 previous owners  Shocked (yer i kno)

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Reply #71 - 04/03/10 at 13:07:30

Verslagen
Here's My data if we are still tracking:

Year:  2002
Mileage:  9,643 miles
Old or new adjuster:  Original adjuster (probably new style) just got replaced with a Verslavy with extended tab.
Plunger extension:  16 mm
Chain stretch:  Didn't remove
Indications:  Some Noise - Opened it up to inspect the adjuster.
Repair action:  No damage.  I replaced the adjuster with a Verslavy
Type of Oil:  Synthetic after breakin
Rider Type:  Moderate
Where do you ride the most:  50/50 mix of town and superslab.
Number of previous owners:  1st PO had it for 1500 miles.
Tensioner guides original and looked good.
Installed Verslavy to the second hole, fit fine without forcing the tensioner.

If we are starting with about 9 mm extension from the factory, then it looks like we get ( on the safe side) approx 1200 - 1500 miles per mm of plunger. Does that sound about what everyone else is getting?

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #72 - 05/31/10 at 21:52:34

mark_k wrote on 04/03/10 at 13:07:30:
....If we are starting with about 9 mm extension from the factory, then it looks like we get ( on the safe side) approx 1200 - 1500 miles per mm of plunger. Does that sound about what everyone else is getting?

I had 14.5 mm of extension with 10,100 miles showing on the clock.  That comes to just over 1800 miles/mm.

Two questions:

1. Where did the "9 mm from the factory" figure come from?

2. Is linear wear over the miles a valid assumption?

TIA!   Smiley

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #73 - 05/31/10 at 22:26:21

My current thinking is large amount of wear is caused by over tensioning during the thermal cycle.  The pawl will click over during the hottest (or coldest) part of the cycle, when it cools down (or heats up) wear will occur until it's at a medium tension.  So, regardless of the tensioner tension wear will occur nearly linear through the miles.

6 to 9mm is my guess how it comes from the factory.  When I did the 1st conversion, it was 9mm out.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #74 - 06/22/10 at 21:16:37

chart updated, thanks for the info guys.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 03:12:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Adjuster Life

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.