Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Adjuster Life (Read 4457 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cam Chain Adjuster Life
Reply #45 - 10/26/08 at 13:47:16

chart updated   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
revsin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #46 - 10/27/08 at 16:29:13

Some questions that are rather noobish, but that's me in a nutshell.

My bike has 24,500 miles on it now... I trust the info I've read on here over the months of my ownership that I should check the cam chain and tensioner.

Some questions as I'm as novice of a mechanic as I am of a rider:

I'll start with my dumbest questions first:

1) I assume I should drain the oil first?

2) If the cam chain tensioner/adjuster are extended past a safe level, do I replace just the chain? Or do I replace the tensioner/adjuster as well?

3) If replacing the tensioner/adjuster is recommended, why? What makes it wear out or requires its replacement?

4) Is there a gasket or seal that has to be replaced when inspecting the cam chain?

5) Is the cam chain something that can be replaced without removing the head?

Thanks for your tolerance!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #47 - 10/27/08 at 18:09:55

My bike has 24,500 miles on it now... I should check the cam chain and tensioner.  yes, most definitely

1) I assume I should drain the oil first? don't have to but easier

2) If the cam chain tensioner/adjuster are extended past a safe level, do I replace just the chain? Or do I replace the tensioner/adjuster as well?  I'd check the stretch on the chain by measuring as recomended in the manuals

3) If replacing the tensioner/adjuster is recommended, why? You only need to replace if ovaled out

4) Is there a gasket or seal that has to be replaced when inspecting the cam chain?  yes clutch cover $10

5) Is the cam chain something that can be replaced without removing the head?  yes but need to remove head cover

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #48 - 01/04/09 at 12:40:23

I have a '88 with 19885 miles on it.  And the plunger was about 18mm out.
The PO burnt the piston, so I took the chain out.
Before I removed it, I marked the bottom center pin while at TDC.
And I measured the chain stretch all the way around.
5.021 to 5.022 everywhere, ctc

Then I measured over half the distance, 2.510 or thereabouts.
Gonna have to work out a better tensioning jig before I get more accurate results though.

This half measurement can be made with the primary removed and all other parts of the cam drive in place.

WWW   IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #49 - 01/19/09 at 12:32:54

Year:  1997
Miles:  21,086
Extension:  17.5 mm
Indication:  Inspection
Repair Action:  VS2
Oil:  Dino, mostly 20W-50 motorcycle specific
Riding Style:  Moderate, mostly secondary roads or around town, some highway
Owners:  2

IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #50 - 02/25/09 at 19:44:01

So I have to repair the oil cap leak and have had my bike up on a jack putting on saddle bag supports and looking at the chain tensioner.  I have had clutch cover off before repairing an oil leak about 2,000 miles ago, present mileage is 15,559 miles.  Previous chain tensioner seemed OK.  The plunger is now about 20mm, and I don't know if the chain is stretched since I haven't got down to repair oil plug cap.  ( I imagine that is where I can measure chain?)  I have not had any indications, no noticeable noise.  I use 10W40 motorcycle oil and change filter every other oil change.  I am a moderate rider, cruise on the highway about 60 to 65mph.  I am the 3rd owner bought bike at 11,000 miles. the bike is a 1986 and I am interested in getting the updated tensioner.
DocNeedles

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #51 - 02/25/09 at 19:55:57

Doc, the way I see it, you got a 20 year old bike.  The plastic is about to crap out on you.  The critical plastic I would replace when you get a chance.  That being the front and rear chain guides.  One would have to ask yourself, are you going to put another 40k on the bike?  If so, I'd put another chain on.  After 40k, I'm putting a new one on.  Not cause it's stretched, but because why take chances.  I've gotten double the life out of it with my adjuster mod, why take chances?

WWW   IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #52 - 02/27/09 at 11:33:56

verslagen1 wrote on 02/25/09 at 19:55:57:
Doc, the way I see it, you got a 20 year old bike.  The plastic is about to crap out on you.  The critical plastic I would replace when you get a chance.  That being the front and rear chain guides.  One would have to ask yourself, are you going to put another 40k on the bike?  If so, I'd put another chain on.  After 40k, I'm putting a new one on.  Not cause it's stretched, but because why take chances.  I've gotten double the life out of it with my adjuster mod, why take chances?

I don't believe this!!  I just contacted my local Suzuki dealership to get a price on the cam chain tensioner guides. The price quoted for part # 12771-24B01 was $51.49 and part # 12811-24B00 was $87.44, while from Ron Ayers the first tensioner guide was $28.16 and the second was $53.03!!!  Even with the lower Canadian $ this seems amazing since the Canadian parts are shipped from Toronto.
I will have to think about this one!!
DocNeedles

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #53 - 02/27/09 at 12:24:25

2000 year model bought with 600 miles on it, 1 year old.  Ran it over 50,000 miles and never did anything except change oil, replace tires and brakes, replace oil seal at front pulley, and replace oil plug in head.  Tore it down to rebore and rebuild, never could get it running right.  Looking back it had to be the tensioner.  I now have a good salvage replacement motor in it.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #54 - 02/27/09 at 17:22:20

Sorry about the priced Doc, I just looked at the cost of the clutch cover gasket, I wish I bought a hundred of the them when they were $8 a piece a year ago.  Now they're $18  Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #55 - 02/27/09 at 18:33:54

chart updated

Doc, looks like you got another 20k left in that chain.
This is an estimation based on plunger extention alone.
The real life can only be estimated from the chain stretch.

WWW   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
My cam chain tensioner at 20,000 miles
Reply #56 - 02/28/09 at 16:56:00

3rd owner bought at 7800 miles.
Use Amsoil 20w-50 synthetic
mostly commute 35 - 50
Some highway 60-65 (had it up to 85 once until I couldn't feel my scrotum anymore.)
Stock except fishtail muffler and rejet.

Reason:20,000 mile inspection. No problems or other indications.
Approx. 22/32" or 17.4625mm out from housing to plunger shoulder.
I don't know chain stretch.
Verslagen1, what do you recommend at this point?
Also, how strong is that spring in the housing, I can't seem to push it in by hand.

http://w4.bikepics.com/pics/2009/02/28/bikepics-1585881-full.jpg

http://w4.bikepics.com/pics/2009/02/28/bikepics-1585884-full.jpg

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #57 - 03/01/09 at 23:21:59

Hmmm, thought I answered, must have gotten up there.   Grin

I have no regrets having done what I've done.  I put in a verslavy at 22k, I'm now at 40k.  I'm figuring that's the life of the chain.  That worked well for my mostly stock bike.  And I also put in a new rear guide.  Now if you're down for a month or 2, I'd get it modified for the 2 hole.  Either me or someone else.  

Do you have insurance on your bike?  betcha you don't have insurance on your engine.  The plunger falling out of the adjuster can be the most singlely devestating event your bike will ever know.  Yet only a handfull have installed my verslagen1 adjuster.  I've pinned the plunger to the housing to prevent this.  Now if I can get my ginnea pig over here, I be able to hear this for myself.  Instead of the plunger falling out, the chain rattles.  Giving you a clear indication... knock knock knock hey! time for maitenance idiot!  Roll Eyes wake up call.

That spring is not that strong, what you're pushing against is a racket and pawl.  reach underneath, push the little lever in and you'll be able to push the plunger in.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #58 - 03/02/09 at 13:33:08

verslagen1 wrote on 02/27/09 at 18:33:54:
chart updated

The real life can only be estimated from the chain stretch.

On thinking it over I am going to purchase the chain tensioner guides now from the US and replace the chain at 20,000 miles if when I measure it it is within reason.  I have ordered from you the chain tensioner guide and will replace that while I have the clutch casing off.  Just hope the weather here is going to keep rainy while I have the bike down.
DocNeedles

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #59 - 06/30/09 at 20:35:01

verslagen1 wrote on 02/27/09 at 18:33:54:
chart updated

Ver,

How are you estimating chain life based on plunger extension alone?  i.e., what are your assumptions?

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 10:27:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Adjuster Life

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.