Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speedometer drive gear replacement (Read 112 times)
LuRod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Orleans, Louisiana
Speedometer drive gear replacement
12/13/18 at 22:43:38

I pulled the right side cover to do the verslavy mod.  Inside, I found some broken gear teeth at the bottom of the casing that resemble the worm gear flutes on the speedometer drive.  My speedometer does not work.  I bought the bike used, as is, so I’m not sure if the speedometer ever did work.  

How difficult is it to replace the speedometer drive gear.  I couldn’t see much of it because the clutch was in the way.  I’m assuming the clutch would have to be removed.  Are there any alternatives?   I don’t want to pull the cover just to investigate and remove something I can’t put back together.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Speedometer drive gear replacement
Reply #1 - 12/14/18 at 01:03:44

I see you're new here. Welcome to the forum. I've been here since 05 and have never seen your question. There are some really savvy guys here who will know that answer, I hope, and will get you a response soon. Don't give up on us.
Ohhh MuhGawd, I've had so much fun in the French Quarter.

73 & 74,, daaang..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/14/18 at 04:27:38

Refer to https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d32fb7f8700232d0b3d923/transmission

I believe you can remove the speedo shaft (#41/42) just by taking out bolt #44.  The bolt is on the outside of the engine by the starter.

If the gear on #41 looks ok, then the gear on #15 is messed up.  Complete tear down to replace.
Just put a bicycle digital speedo or similiar on the handle bars.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 12/14/18 at 07:16:08

What Youzguyz said, and if your forced /decide to go to a different speedo , be sure to retain the nut and O-ring from the bottom of the speedo cable ,  add a blank[ a filed down penny would do] inside the nut , above the O-ring ,to install over the opening ,to retain the oil in the motor.(when ever you disconnect the speedo cable it's a good idea to place and seal a plastic bag around the bottom of the cable because the O-ring has a habit of falling out and getting lost)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LuRod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reply #4 - 12/14/18 at 09:33:50

youzguyz wrote on 12/14/18 at 04:27:38:
I believe you can remove the speedo shaft (#41/42) just by taking out bolt #44.  The bolt is on the outside of the engine by the starter.

Do you have to remove the starter to access the bolt?  Is it in the starter cavity?  I am currently away from the bike for another week or so, so I'm not able to tinker.  I'm trying to look at images online to locate the bolt location, but Its a bit difficult.  I've definitely had a good time or 2 at the French Quarter.  lol

Nevermind, I see it now.  I looked a little further from some pics on my phone from when I took the starter off to paint it.  It looks like the bolt is on the backside of the mount that the speedo cable screws on to.  Hopefully once I unscrew it I can reach around the clutch and remove the drive gear to inspect it.  

The community here is great.  I might not have a lot of posts, but I have been reading this forum and troubleshooting for a few months now, using past threads to fix all kinds of problems.  I've done both the raptor petcock and the oem petcock mod (while I waited for the raptor to get shipped to me).  I'm sure there have been thousands of fixes that people just search on google and find a fix to from here!! I've pretty much moved every component from one frame to another, all using instructions from here.  No Clymers, no owners manual, no service manual, no nothin'!!!!  Once I get a few more posts under my belt, I can start putting pictures, which make things easier!!  

Thanks to all!!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 12/16/18 at 08:39:35

Lurod ,   A Clymer 's manual is only about 25-30 bucks and contains a wealth of info, I'd get one ,it's well worth the money .the  most common problems ,tend to be electrical , and the Clymer provides info on testing, and wiring diagrams, both are very helpful .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 12/19/18 at 14:36:05

LuRod wrote on 12/13/18 at 22:43:38:
I pulled the right side cover to do the verslavy mod.  Inside, I found some broken gear teeth at the bottom of the casing that resemble the worm gear flutes on the speedometer drive.  My speedometer does not work.  I bought the bike used, as is, so I’m not sure if the speedometer ever did work.  

How difficult is it to replace the speedometer drive gear.  I couldn’t see much of it because the clutch was in the way.  I’m assuming the clutch would have to be removed.  Are there any alternatives?   I don’t want to pull the cover just to investigate and remove something I can’t put back together.

https://www.banggood.com/it/200-KMH-GPS-Speedometer-Waterproof-Digital-Gauges...

I apologize for the huge picture, but at $55 it's a steal.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 08:04:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speedometer drive gear replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.