Send Topic Print
Drinkin' & thinkn' (Read 1149 times)
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Drinkin' & thinkn'
Reply #60 - 06/15/07 at 15:00:58

Let's have a little fun.

Here is a pic with me holding the bike over at an angle and pushing down on the pillion seat to make the tire conform like it will do when leaned over at an angle.

Notice the white paint stick marks -- if you blow up on the picture you can see that the edge of the pavement wear never leaves the flat part of the tire even after a week of hard use.  This is because the tire does keep the tread relatively flat on the road even when cornering hard.  

Notice how the sidewall flexes to make it work, not you rolling the contact patch around the circumference of a rounded motorcycle tire like on a Dunlop.

======================================

Now this next picture is a puzzlement quizz for the newcomers and an answer to an older mod that I said I'd hold off on saying it worked until I had confirmation that it continued to work properly over time.  

Hint: it isn't a custom wrench holder.

Now that's what I call still working strong.

Grin

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #61 - 06/15/07 at 15:27:54

Oldfeller2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Now this next picture is a puzzlement quizz for the newcomers and an answer to an older mod that I said I'd hold off on saying it worked until I had confirmation that it continued to work properly over time.  

Hint: it isn't a custom wrench holder.

http://photos.gunloads.com/images/Oldfeller/customwrenchholder.jpg

Now that's what I call still working strong.

Grin

Oldfeller

Cool!  You got the rare earth installed!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #62 - 06/15/07 at 18:29:44

Yeah, she's been in place for nearly 1,000 miles now and seems to have lost nothing significant in her magnetic strength due to the engine heat.  I snapped this pic at first oil change after putting her in several months ago.  

We know it didn't come apart because it isn't on the oil plug magnet (nothing was on the oil plug magnet, absolutely nothing at all -- not even sludge).  The oil was remarkably clean looking for dingy dark oil, probably because there are no micro-bits of metal in it at all.

This is the big honker magnet, I still have one of the small ones sitting on the refrigerator agravating my wife (she knows its a refrigerator magnet but her fingers aren't strong enough to pull it off to put a note under it).

I'll post a "How to" with pics when I take it down for the filter change this fall.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #63 - 06/18/07 at 19:50:18

New types of Bump Steer

Old Interstate wagon rut wallow
================

When they have paved over some old concrete and the asphalt gives a little where all the car and truck tires run making a small depression or rut in the asphalt pavement.

Get in that rut and you wallow from one side to the other with your micro bump steer sending you "down the sides" from one side to the other and back again.

Solution = get out of the stupid wagon rut and run on the crown area in the middle between the two ruts.

Wink

Oldfeller

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #64 - 06/18/07 at 21:43:00

Quote:
Cool!  You got the rare earth installed!

Where do you get the thing?
How much are they?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #65 - 06/19/07 at 05:44:26

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #66 - 06/19/07 at 16:03:40

Quote:
Get in that rut and you wallow from one side to the other with your micro bump steer sending you "down the sides" from one side to the other and back again.

But that would let you kick back and read a book while you ride assuming you have cruise control!   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #67 - 06/19/07 at 17:40:30

I ain't that laid back, really, plus if it did the wallow long enough you'd get all sea-sick from the rolling road.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #68 - 06/19/07 at 18:16:46

LOL!  Roger that!  Just checking to see the level of your "laid backedness."  As I said before, as soon as I wear out this tire (I'm cheap) I'll let you know how the smaller darkside tire thing goes...with the agreement that this is all just "theoretical" anyhow!

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #69 - 06/21/07 at 17:20:46

Ok, I got 500 miles on the VW 165-15 rear tire now.  It is tuned in as good as can be using the standard belt drive and it is good to go now for a total wear-out run.  

I've reprogrammed my hindbrain now and don't notice the small bump steer event stuff any more.  High speed bump steer stuff still gets my attention, but I just move over some to get it to stop.

The tire size change caused a "full speed" 5 mph shift compared to the calibrated Sigma 506 electronic speedo.  Some of that 5 mph is due to the standard Suzuki speedo error we all know we have, but you simply can't quantify until you get yourself a calibrated digtal speedo.

I struggle to break 90 mph now where I used to struggle to break 85 mph -- big deal.   I am running 28-29 pounds of air pressure and I find it funny that this air pressure is what Suzuki recommends for the rear tire anyway.  

(at least I think it's funny - ain't much standard about the rear end of the bike anymore but it still likes the OEM recommended air pressure)

Had a cager slam on her brakes in front of me tonight to keep from running a camera watched yellow light (it was a woman in a Honda Civic).  I had to do a full panic stop, screaming howling squirrel sounds and all.  I stopped easily shorter than she did despite her getting a jump on her braking and I was going faster than she was too.  

Braking is OK.  Noisy, but OK.

I had me a white smoke throwing rubber stinking rear tire though (been a while since I really smoked a tire braking it, generally the IRC eraser just abraded away quietly with no smoke and no noise).   I also did me a nice little butt end squiggle and I had to manage the front brake to keep from going sideways -- with these car tires you go back all the way to controlling braking skids which is something the youngsters amongst us may have never have had to do before.

Tire has finally worn off the nubbies but has not completely worn away the mold parting-line mark in the middle of the tire.  At 500 miles the tire is just now "broken in" good.

You got 0.2665" of tread depth available at the dead center of the tire and to be on line to wear out like the IRC did at 5,536 miles I would have to have scrubbed off around 1/32" of tread depth by now.  

I haven't got nearly that much wear yet despite all the howling squirrels I've pulled.

How I hold the caliper is vital for me to say I have any real wear at all at this stage of things -- so the VW tire at least looks to have potential to last a good bit longer than the IRC rear tire did.

I will dig this up to post if I come up with any more unique rolling antics that the squirrel shows to me, otherwise I'm done here.  

It ain't news any more.   Old hat stuff now.

Good riding to you all,

Oldfeller

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #70 - 06/22/07 at 01:13:18

8) Splendid Oldfellar! You are a definite credit to your species!  Grin 8)
Happy Riding!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #71 - 07/10/07 at 18:31:11

any cool, high performance tires in those sizes?  i'm going to be running a kenda k761 enduro tire up front and i want something really nifty in the way of a super high performance street tire.  dunno if i'll get close at all with vw tires.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #72 - 07/11/07 at 16:39:06

just for the record, the Michilin, or however that is spelled, has been on for more than 1500 miles now. T'werks real good. Bigger contact patch for braking, steers good, and milage went up by 5 mpg.
Outside circumference went from 76 and 3/8ths to 75 and 3/8ths inches. That is only about one and one half percent smaller, or in other words, about a one mile per hour difference at Highway speeds and one mile per gallon error in distance computations.

I expect it wil last a lot longer than the original tire too.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #73 - 07/11/07 at 16:41:58

Oldfeller2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Yeah, she's been in place for nearly 1,000 miles now and seems to have lost nothing significant in her magnetic strength due to the engine heat.  I snapped this pic at first oil change after putting her in several months ago.  

We know it didn't come apart because it isn't on the oil plug magnet (nothing was on the oil plug magnet, absolutely nothing at all -- not even sludge).  The oil was remarkably clean looking for dingy dark oil, probably because there are no micro-bits of metal in it at all.

This is the big honker magnet, I still have one of the small ones sitting on the refrigerator agravating my wife (she knows its a refrigerator magnet but her fingers aren't strong enough to pull it off to put a note under it).

I'll post a "How to" with pics when I take it down for the filter change this fall.

Oldfeller

I can see that it makes for a handy way to carry the thing you throw at tailgaters!

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #74 - 07/14/07 at 11:04:06

MATH QUIZZ

Original depth of thread at 5,350 miles was .2665" when I put on the VW tire.  I've put 1,301 miles on the rear tire since I put it on.  It has worn .009" off the center of the tire.

Tread depth of the legal wear bar is .062".   The total tread height to bottom of center groove is .2580" right now.  

I tend to wear tires until they are bald in the center.  How many miles do I have until my tire is bald?  

How many miles will I be riding around breaking the wear limit law?

If you put a brand new IRC on your bike at the same instant my wear bars showed on the VW tire, which one of us would go bald in the center first?

Makes you think, doesn't it?

<grin>

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 05:07:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drinkin' & thinkn'

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!