Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Drinkin' & thinkn' (Read 1149 times)
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Drinkin' & thinkn'
Reply #45 - 06/08/07 at 03:54:53

Phelonius just did his rear end with a 135-15.  

============ cutscene ==========

Luke, Obiwan and Yoda

Luke, I sense a disturbance in the force --- something large and powerful is moving in the Galaxy and we must be ready to deal with it.

Gasp!  It howls!  It growls!  It is harder to kill than any other of its kind and yet it is cheap and multiplies freely.  It is everywhere and we cannot hold it off!

Master Yoda, can you sense exactly what it is?  Or where it is so we can go fight it?

No, young Paduwan -- it is not out there, it is in here -- within our Jedi ranks.  Someone has changed the order of the universe and things that were not possible are now possible.  Some of us good Jedi are seeking the extra life force that comes with this new change.

Yoda, I sense the change itself can be good or bad -- depending on how it is used.  It was said this new thing came originally from the darkside, but obviously it can be used for good.  

Master, only if you are very wise as you approach it.  Oh Master, (gasp) -- the foolish may bleed however, because they will not use it wisely.

Yes, Obiwan -- learn more about this change we must from anyone who has embraced it.   We must spread the wisdom and fight the foolishness wherever we find it.

Master, I think I too sense something -- pressure is important to this thing.  Too much makes it hard and too little makes it mushy and uncontrollable -- there is a middle path though in the center of the pressure that leads to both long life and great success.

Go, young Paduwan, and seek out the truth.

Yes Luke, go quickly -- and report back frequently.

======================================

PS

Yoda is one cheap ol' hand puppet and he doesn't believe in paying Michelin prices for a tire that isn't going to see but maybe a 20% of a rated car load during its whole motorcycle lifetime.  

How do I know Yoda's a cheapie?  Come on, he lives in a dung-heated mud hut in a stinkin' swamp -- he's that durn cheap.

Yoda recommends you check out a 145-15 (or 135 if you are totally chicken) here at BFY because they cost less'n 1/2 what a Dunlop cycle tire would cost and could last 3-4 times longer.  Yoda says that is his kind of "wise Jedi tire spending".  Stay away from the 165-15 -- it is too much durn trouble to get it to fit into the fender well.

http://www.bfyobsoleteparts.com/Tires-c-338.html

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #46 - 06/10/07 at 11:19:56

Ok, I moved the serious part of this discussion over to the Technical Page as an instruction on fitting MUCH larger tires.  Didn't say much else over there -- ain't the place for a discussion anyhow.

I referred back to this here ongoing discussion for information on cheap tire sources and tips on adjusting pressure and riding tips.  Gotta give them serious folks instructions in how to ride their Howling Squirrel once they get her all mounted up.

Now, here is an interesting statement I am going to make that is going to go counter to most of the "drink rings on the table" common knowledge that always prevails here in the Cafe.

============================

Quote:  "I haven't got any wear marks on my new tire that show I ever get up on the side of it to any degree at all."

============================

To help this little discussion along I paint stick marked the edge of my wear pattern so I can take pictures periodically to help prove/disprove this item.

You can see some roughening of the edge zone where I blended the edge a bit with a power planer (I never said I wanted any durn sharp edges, now did I?) but I don't see any pavement wear that even went that far round the edge.

Them flatsiders MAY have been telling the truth when they say they use the flat side of the tire in a corner when their air pressure is adjusted correctly.  

We shall see, won't we?   I may have wasted that nice clean sharp edge on my planer blade for nothing.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #47 - 06/10/07 at 11:44:55

For the images in the Tech Ref thread, I downloaded your images, cropped off the gunloads.com tag, and have them hosted locally.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #48 - 06/10/07 at 11:52:27

Hey, I appreciate that.  Putting pics up anywhere for a long term teaching item is iffy because you come back one day and it's all gone.

Gunloads would be slow to do that because they'd be killing things I had done for them in my previous life as a gun-nut show'n how to do it person that they might want to keep (that's why I have server space with them in the first place).

But they might trim all the motorcycle stuff (yep, I could see them doing that).

It's better that you host the cycle stuff so it won't be disappearing on you.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #49 - 06/10/07 at 17:40:26

after i wear out the tire on glenn, i'm definitely going to an automotive tire.  mainly for the looks.  partly for the economic value.

being raised as a cabinetmaker, i already have plans on a jig for the tire to run it against a vertical belt sander at various angles to remove the sharp 90 on the edges.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #50 - 06/10/07 at 17:59:39

Bump Steer Types

Mild Bump Steer =  when you are going around a turn and hit a spot where they ran a pipe across the road and then they fixed the road afterwards leaving a little dip in the pavement.  The dip makes a mild bump which briefly compresses and conforms your tire a bit more which changes your feel momentarily and that feedback is interpreted by your middle ear and brain stem hindbrain (where all your bike riding balance stuff is constantly being processed) as an "Oh Sh-t !!" sensation.  

You learn to get over the periodic mild bump steer sensations as they happen fairly frequently and actually mean very little.  Practice that same spot a bit until you understand it better (reprogram your hindbrain some).

====================================

HUGE Pot Hole Bump Steer = during a strong leaning curve when your bigger tire gets driven up into the fender strongly by a VERY BIG BUMP.  The sudden braking force and noise from the tire/fender contact does indeed give you a very real alarm sensation.  Your hindbrain instantly instructs you to soil your shorts a bit and you vow not to run over any more potholes in a turn if you can possibly avoid it.  

You get this exact same sensation with a bike tire when you do the same thing.  Your front tire doesn't like it one little bit either.

Tensing up when a bump steer event takes place is a bad thing.   When you tense up you straighten up, this causes you to tend to go straight for a bit.  This is bad news in a turn.  This is the exact same stuff that happens to new riders which causes them to go off the road (generally at Deal's Gap at the exact same place Killboy likes to snap all his "flying Ducati" pictures).

================================

VERY HIGH SPEED Bump Steer =  when you are trying to break the Ton with your new tire and the centripital forces cause the tire to grow in the middle until something rubs somewhere.  See hindbrain reaction to HUGE Pothole Bump Steer -- go home and change your underwear.  Increase the air pressure slightly before making your next attempt.

Note:  if you had put on a 145-15 you would get about the same mileage on the tire and you would get a lot more miles between your underwear changes.  That 165-15 is simply just too durn tall.

Shocked

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #51 - 06/12/07 at 04:01:37

More Sensational Fun !!!

High Speed "Swim" or "rumba" = a very high speed thing that takes place at 90 mph and up.  You are going so fast you are going over little pavement changes at an increased rate.  The tiny bump steer events that take place between the slabs on the superslab highway can strike up a beat with your bike's suspension and you start to feel like you are mounted on a rumba dancer's butt while you are going way too fast anyway.

Slow down, hit the next exit and put some more air in your rear tire.  Superslab doesn't involve a lot of curves and more air pressure equals greater stability for the high speed straight line stuff.

I have migrated up in normal pressure to 27 pounds now -- the issues associated with soft conformance are balancing out with the edge issues and I find I can tolerate more edge anyway now that I am getting used to it.  

For Superslab interstate travel I have run 30-32 pounds in the big tire with no rumba issues at any speed I can reach with my Savage.  I have not had any tire growth at the higher air pressures either (more miles between unexpected underwear changes).

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #52 - 06/12/07 at 16:29:46

One more minor refinement in the search for "fit" around a really big tall tire.  

I needed another washer thickness worth (1/8") of extra clearance on the left side to resolve some occasional rub issues between the chain guard mount arm and the outside of the big pulley.  

Problem was that the space simply didn't exist.  There was no extra space available to take from Peter to give to Paul by moving a washer.  I was out of room completely between the swingarm posts.  I was packed tight -- no room to move anything.

So I put a small scissors jack between the two parallel arms and deflected them outwards a tad (bent the "U" open a bit at the mouth in other words).

It worked to create an extra quarter inch of total installed space that didn't exist before.  Now with the extra washer the total of the parts in the location they need to be in works out with enough clearance not to rub into each other.  The tightening of the axle put the free clearance to the new stackup back to the normal amount free slop, so any extra leftovers from a bend job is reclaimed when the axle is tightened and loosened again.

Question now arises -- this dirty trick worked fairly easily, so just how far could you open your "U" up before you actually damaged something?

It's mild steel pipe.  It bends fairly easily.

Not that anyone would ever PLAN to do something like that -- we all have better sense than to modify our swingarms and change the geometric characteristics of our rides.

Roll Eyes

Oldfeller

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #53 - 06/12/07 at 16:33:18

Well, at that point a sane person MIGHT be worried about shock alignment and all....but they might also view that as a good opportunity to open up a whole new world of fat rear tires for the savage.

Conjecture, of course, but if a fatter rim could be laced up, a crazy person might think thoughts.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #54 - 06/12/07 at 16:40:24

Yeah, but only after drinking a six pack or two first .....

Oldfeller

IP Logged
cowboyupdjcarl
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 06/12/07 at 20:11:47

My 1400 Intruder on a darkside tire.

The 165R15 is the tire the local cheapo stores can order or keep in stock just for the few local VW's in the area.

Michelin has an expensive 175/15 but does not compute to fit in the swing arm.

Check out the pics...

http://www.intruderalert.com/cafe/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=102202&start=l...

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #56 - 06/13/07 at 03:42:09

What rim size do they have on a 1400 Intruder?  The Savage says it is a DOT 2.75" wide rim.

What air pressure do you run?  How many miles so far?

Same size tire on a Savage is a bit of a pain to fit, but it will go into the fender well after you empty it out and center it up.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
cowboyupdjcarl
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 06/13/07 at 19:15:00

Not sure the width of my rim right now.

The size used is because it fits the swing arm.

The ONLY 175 I found was a Michelin for about $100
THAT defeated the purpose of the cheaper tire.
Then the 175 had the possibility of rubbing the swing arm.

I have over 2,000 miles and I am running a hefty 30psi.

I am experimenting with dropping the pressure a little.

Others on the board have been through a tire or 2 and have had no problems. Sealing the rim and going tubeless is the way to go if you have the time. That makes it a $3 walmart plug kit in the saddle bag AND/OR fix-a-flat or the new slime stuff!

I am looking at doing this on the wifes Savage!
I have not found any 15" tires in a smaller width than the 165.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #58 - 06/14/07 at 02:09:44

Try looking here for inexpensive 145-15 tires.

http://www.bfyobsoleteparts.com/Tires-c-338.html

So far the quality of tire is acceptable, but then so is the price.  These folks charge you what it cost to make the shipment to you, nothing more.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #59 - 06/14/07 at 13:35:17

Master Yoda would be hard pressed to come up with a better idea that car tires on bikes.  Makes me wonder how we got  stuck with all those gum-ball tires in the first place...probley somebody won a race sometime.   Well the Gold mine of short life tires is closed as far a I"m concerned.

The width of the 145sr15 mounted is just under 5 inches and the height is real close to 23.5.

I had a hard time getting it to pop-out on the rim.  I'll use dish soap next time, this time i used Grease and never did make it pop-out.  So I made a knife blade out of an old jig saw plade and "Just took off a measured and marked 1/8 inch strip in the middle.  It is still so tight it will probley be cut off  when and if it wears out.

I'm trying the nanking next time.

Keep on Thumping!

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 00:08:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drinkin' & thinkn'

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.