Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Drinkin' & thinkn' (Read 1149 times)
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Drinkin' & thinkn'
Reply #30 - 05/28/07 at 04:17:22

Some comments on mounting an oversized tire.  

You may try to reuse your old tube, but you may find that it has residual damage from being removed/installed that causes you to have a air leak.  If you get a new tube, get a 150/90-15 sized tube (largest one).

Since you are deflecting the sides of a larger tire "inwards" to go down to a small rim width (changing the bead engagement angle of the sidewall to the thread) expect to have to put a lot of extra pressure in the tire to get the bead to seat properly.  

Note: my tire actually reduced its outside diameter slightly during mounting -- it is now exactly 25" in diameter at 35 psi mounted on the rim.  See how small the deflated IRC is now (of course it is completely worn out and lost nearly an inch of diameter off the crown in doing that).

Use lots of extra slick bead slickum to aid in the bead going to the fully seated position, this will reduce the pressure needed to get a full bead seat.  

90-100 psi was what the 165-15 Nanchung VW tire required originally to go to fully seated on the bead.  I deflated pressure while the bead soap was still nice and gooshy to see what would happen and at 10 psi the bead popped down the shoulder again.  Reseating the bead only took 70 pounds, so I might theorize the bead stretches a bit to go into a fully seated position but retains part of that stretch once it has done it the first time.

I used straight dishwashing soap as my bead lube the second time around.  It was heavy enough and slick enough to get the job done and it will eventually dry and be partially absorbed by the bead rubber itself (soaps and waxes are actually components of rubber, BTW)

I intend to use the full 35 psi "max rated" pressure during fit up to  make sure a max bulged tire gets the correct amount of clearance to bolt heads inside the fender well.

Don't forget to balance your now slightly heavier wheel assembly.  

Also, take a stiff brush and scrub & rinse the soap residues off the sides of your newly mounted tire (it will rain sometime when you are riding and that's SOAP caked on the sides of your tire)

We shall now see how it fits in the hole.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #31 - 05/28/07 at 20:17:23

When you look under your fender you see that the available real estate has been encroached by some large protruding fasteners.  You can remove some of them and replace them with stainless steel flat head and pan head socket type fasteners from:

www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=25&cs=82&cm=19&cd=1318

The list of possible replacement fasteners goes like this:

Item # C
 Product #6698
 Metric socket flat head screws, Stainless A-2,   8mm x 1.25 x 16mm
 Quantity: 4 pieces
 Price: $0.54
 Subtotal: $2.16

Item # B
 Product #6702
 Metric socket flat head screws, Stainless A-2,   8mm x 1.25 x 35mm
 Price: $0.73
 Subtotal: $2.92

Item #A
 Product #6657
 Metric socket button head screws, Stainless A-2,  8mm x 1.25 x 25mm
 Price: $0.96
 Subtotal: $3.84

Item #D  Welded Nut
 Shorten slightly with 4" grinder
 Overmold (blend a hump) with JB Weld Epoxy
 Paint with silver touch up paint

Item #E  (not shown) Mounting bolt for Right Buddy Peg
 Shorten slightly with 4" grinder
 Paint with black touch up paint

You will need to buy a HSS countersink to countersink the flat headed screws to be nearly flush to the sheet metal that they will retain.  Close to flush, but not completely flush.  You do want some metal there to clamp up to, right?

Go slowly here == making the countersink too deep & large means you won't hold the sheet metal in place and that is a classic "bad thing" when trying to hold stuff together with flat headed fasteners.

The main fender mounting bolts get replaced with shallow pan head fasteners instead of flat heads.  Why pan heads?  You got these protector bumps in the sheet metal and all you really need to do is get shorter than the bumps.  Pan heads are stronger than flat heads and the fender is a structural element that sees strong vertical vibrational forces and potential tire/fender impact forces.  It needs more fastener strength than the horizontal mounted gingerbread stuff that we flat headed for width clearance.  

Note that the item #A fender mounting holes here aren't simple holes, they are slots.  If you need to shift the fender a bit to avoid a rub this is the time to do it.

Now, do you REALLY need to do all this removal and replacement of fasteners?  It depends on how big your oversize tire is and where it runs when installed on your rim.  

If you were rational and picked a 150/80 bike tire you likely won't have to do much at all.  If you were moderate and picked a 145-15 VW tire you wouldn't have to do near as much.  If you plan to put a 175/65R15 Continental on as your next experimental tire after you do yourself a chain conversion -- heck, you may need to flush mount everything you can possibly flush mount.

As always, this information is for theoretical discussion only -- nobody is actually ever going to do any of this silly stuff.  We all got better sense that that, naturally.   Roll Eyes

Oldfeller

PS   Buy the type of countersink with a single straight cutting edge that is easily resharpened with a standard bench grinder -- you will likely have to resharpen your countersink edge at least once while removing all that metal.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #32 - 05/29/07 at 00:26:02

Grin Oldfellar, this is GREAT stuff!! Keep 'er comin' ... can't wait to see the finished product! Of course this is all theoretical  Wink

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #33 - 05/30/07 at 22:18:38

Hay
These dard side tires or nothing new. what do you think the original bikes had?  
I have  VW. tire on the back of mine now and love it.  its a Mitchelin 145xr/15 from Coker Tire.  I'll send a picture if i can put it together.  The first thing I did was lay the bike down in the grass all the way to the crash bar.  Its imposible to make it get onto the sidewall.  I've got about 1,000 miles on it now and the rearend drift is so predicable and sweet I cant help do curves faster than i should, its plain FUN.
Has anybody else done this yet  get back me

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #34 - 05/31/07 at 20:57:24

"Nothing new is under the sun" said Solomon back some 3,000 years or so ago.   History does repeat itself, you know.

Since 15" VW tires have been pretty commonly available (and fairly cheaply too) since the 1950's I'd be pretty durn surprised if one hadn't crept on to the back end of a bike before now.

MMRanch, how wide does your 145-15 Michelin sit on your rim, how tall is it diameter-wise after mounting and how does it track for clearance to the bolt heads inside your Savage's fender well?  How about clearance to the belt guard?

I'm curious because I opted for a size bigger at the 165-15 tire size and am now having to provide the bolt head running clearance space for it and may find me having a bit of a belt guard clearance issue too.  

How many pounds of air pressure do you currently run in your 145-15 Michelin and how does your wear pattern out at the radius corners do at that air pressure?  Do you see any center wear compared to the rest of the surface yet at  1,000 miles on your tire?

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #35 - 06/03/07 at 14:19:31

Here is a fully functional 165-15 FAT TIRE mounted on a stock Savage bagger using the standard drive belt arrangement.  Extra clearance for the big tire was created in the fender well by removing the protruding bolt heads that Suzuki uses to clutter up the fender well on both sides.

There is ample clearance to the top.  There is lots of clearance to the left side.  There is clearance to the belt (but not much).  There is clearance to the belt guard (which is easily told to move over using a flat crowbar,  BTW).

Clearance to the right is very slim to none and needs some more work.  I will be changing the axle spacers to shift the tire over to the left to become more centered in the fender well.  The rear pulley (and the small belt clearance) will move along with the tire as the tire shifts, but the belt guard will likely require more adjusting with the flat crowbar after the shift is made.

So far handling on the fatter tire is not drastically different.  You can still drag a peg if you want to and braking ability in the wet has not declined to any noticeable degree.  You can skid the back tire if you get on the brakes really really hard (but you could do that with the stock IRC tire, too).

Best running pressure seems to be between 22 and 27 pounds of air.  Below 22 and things begin to feel mushy.  Get up to 27 and hard edges begin to be felt when leaning the bike over in a turn.

Does it feel different?   Yes, there is a whole lot more tire back there now and I am still learning how to use it to best advantage.  Taking a steep bank turn and hitting the gas as you exit the turn seems to make the tire want to dig in deeper which is new to me.  

Since I am managing my air pressure in the sweet zone I don't have the hard edges that so many have complained about.  I keep adjusting the pressure but the sweet zone is becoming more defined for me and seems to be heading towards 24-25 pounds.

I would say this mod is certainly doable, but I would also say is not for a beginner rider as you have to use good judgment as you make any modifications to the handling characteristics of your ride.

Your butt is 100% riding on your good judgment here, you know.  There is serious experimentation going on at the adjusting/riding stages now and I won't take the bike out into heavy street traffic until I get more miles on her and know more about how the new tire reacts to various hard braking and harsh movement scenarios.  

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #36 - 06/04/07 at 12:51:06

That close-up looks good. More pictures to follow I hope. Maybe from a step or two back? Interesting stuff Oldfeller...

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #37 - 06/04/07 at 13:52:36

Now, how do you adjust the centering of a wheel assembly inside a fender well?   Especially if you need to shift the tire from right of center (Suzuki standard location) over to the left to get more room for a good bit bigger tire?

Answer, get 3 each of a 17mm I.D. plated steel washer and stack them all up and measure them as a total.  Cut the same total amount off the left side axle spacer (the fat one with the bearing seal riding on it that goes on the outside of the drive pulley).

Now you can move your wheel assembly around by a single washer's distance as you put the varying count of washers on the side that needs to be "thicker" to make the position of the tire be where you want it to be.  The total width of spacers and all 3 washers always remains the same, but the tire assembly moves back and forth at will by "one washer" increments.

That's how you fine tune your rear end "left to right" to make it perfect for whatever fat tire you have mounted on her this time around.

A point to be aware of if you have to get extreme with the tire lateral motion --- as you move left you decrease the amount of the female engagement of the brake drum assembly slot on to the male portion on the swing arm rib.  You can only go so far before you promote a divorce on these critical parts, so if you see the engagement getting a mite slim you might want to back off some on your tire shift.  

Your choices to go further left will need to include an extender plate on the brake drum assembly to reach out the slot to find the rib on the swing arm.  When you go to make such a thing, be aware that a 10-24 flat head socket screw will just span the gap on the inside of the hollow part of the casting such that the threads will sink in on both sides giving you more length of engagement.  The head of a 10-24 flat head just fits flush to the edge of the slot too.

So now you have all the tricks needed to fit a 165-15 OR BIGGER tire.  You can center your tire in the cleaned out fender well and you have just a tiny bit of clearance on all sides.  And what is neat is you didn't have to put a chain drive conversion on your Savage to do the mod either.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #38 - 06/04/07 at 18:54:26

Riding the Howling Squirrel

====================

Ok, I admit to having an off the wall sense of humor.  I have been known to do the outrageous simply because it is fun.

I have a $34.95 Chungfooie throwaway VW tire on the back of my bike that could theoretically last me 15,000-20,000 miles of somewhat sane usage.  I have flogged it real good now and know what it will do in most situations.  I find I am not using the tire conservatively at all as it is dirt cheap and I'm simply having too much fun with it.

This is what it will do well (very well).  It will change drift in fine increments (make minute upright inside lane shifts with small inputs of body english).  It will bite and accelerate ferociously when you wick the throttle hard.  It will stop ferociously when you mash the brake petal hard.  

And, glory of all glories, it will intimidate the pure tee living sh-t out of a cager if you chose to break it free with a hard jab of the rear brake petal and lock her up a bit on purpose.  The sound the tire makes when you abuse it is the terrible full bore tire screeching howl of a cager getting ready to plow into someone.   Really loud, too -- that big ol' tire is a sound magnifying acoustical chamber I guess.

The sound is reverberating and is possibly louder than the horn -- certainly gets more attention than the horn does.

(hee hee hee)

Hey cut me off will you -- where's that mack truck that you just though was going to plow into the back of your mini-van you coke drinking cell phone chatting inattentive soccer mom you.  What, poor baby -- you dropped your phone on the floor and spilled your coke all over your lap grabbing on to your steering wheel for dear life like that -- well now, if you spent your driving time driving instead of chatting and drinking you'd probably do a better job of it.

The temptation is just too much for me.  Socially acceptable comeuppance on the bike killer soccer moms at last.

(hee hee hee)

Things I still don't like.  What used to be seamless roll over into a turn now has 3 little mini parts and I am simply not used to that yet.  It still seems strange to have a 3 part change in feel when making a curve but it makes sense if you think about it some.  

This is the squirrely part of the howling squirrel nick-name, the three part harmony of making a hard lean turn.

Funny part is that I still have little abraded rubber thingies sticking out all over the tire -- I thought they'd all be gone by now.  

Oldfeller

P.S.  if you feel tempted to get a howling squirrel of your very own please do get the 145-15 size tire.  It is slightly shorter/narrower in the places that shorter and narrower are nice to have.  It's gotta be a lot less trouble than fitting the wider-fatter-taller 165 size VW tire.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #39 - 06/05/07 at 02:11:17

8) Oldfellar ... I'm really diggin your Darkside Tire mod on the LS! Gutsy, rebellious and slightly obnoxious! Way cool on all counts!  8)

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #40 - 06/05/07 at 04:01:16

Nice one Oldfeller, you've got balls that's for sure.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #41 - 06/05/07 at 06:17:28

Oldfeller - when are you going to add the little golden eyed, sabre clawed banshee to the mix?

What good is a squirrel bike without a mascot!?  Grin

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #42 - 06/05/07 at 15:29:58

Hey, you don't think I'd get away with all this stuff without the shung-fuie spirit riding pillion behind me keeping all the evil soccer mom demons at bay do you?

Grin

Oldfeller

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #43 - 06/06/07 at 16:03:11

Hey Oldfeller2, I'll be trying the 135 x 15 when the time comes.  I have a 17/43 chain conversion and don't need the extra height or the extra width on the already too skinny rim.  The strange thing is, I've got 3500 miles on the stock IRC and it's showing no signs of wear yet...

Perplexing!

Oh well, guess I'll have to rack up miles faster!   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #44 - 06/06/07 at 21:36:57

Yeah, rear tire wear is a function of wheel alignment, correct air pressure and your right wrist and foot habits.

Sluggo kills tires quicker than just about anybody -- just ask him what he does to the poor things to get just a summer a tire out of them.

Me, I brake hard and often.  Unfortunately, I now do even worst things than Suggo does, sometimes on purpose even.

Some quantity of folks have gotten 8,000 miles out of their IRC rear tire, I think one dude laid claim to over 10,000 miles on his IRC rear.  I got 5,369 miles out of mine.  My bad braking habits showing themselves, no doubt.

Watch out for them 135-15 tires, some of the ones out there are 145 carcasses with a smaller tread section plopped on top.   These would be of no advantage to you, you'd still have to deal with the 145 body size.

I don't think you'd have problems with a 145 body size, but you will likely still have to lose your bolt heads inside the right side of your fender well no matter what fatter tire size you fit.

Some hassle does come with the turf, you just don't have to sign up for a heaping plate full of it with a 165-15.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 14:13:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drinkin' & thinkn'

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.