Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Drinkin' & thinkn'
Reply #90 - 01/14/08 at 13:34:02

Nope, the old VW nomeclature was simplistic -- 145 is the width, the height was set by VW and should be relational to the width.  All VW tires are silent 80s so it is 145/80-15 if you wanted it stated in new-speak.

You will also note that xx/75R15 tires would also fit the envelope if you can find them thin enough on the width.  Your fender gets tight at 7.0 inches so you really can't go swinging past a very few 175 tires that spec out at 6.9" wide (Pirelli 3000 series is about it).  All the rest spec out at 7.2 inches wide which would be real iffy to go inside the fender.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #91 - 01/14/08 at 15:14:57

Yon:bike tires also have three numbers.Lets say 145/65/15
145 width in mm.
65 (aspect ratio)means the tire is 65% tall as it is wide.In terms if you had a 5"wide tire it should have a 3.25" tall sidewall.
15 means the rim diameter.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #92 - 01/14/08 at 17:37:22

I've been looking on-line for a tire and the biggest diameter they have is for a 10 inch wheel. I KNOW they make them for a 15 because after all, y'all have them.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #93 - 01/14/08 at 20:17:48

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 01/14/08 at 17:37:22:
I've been looking on-line for a tire and the biggest diameter they have is for a 10 inch wheel. I KNOW they make them for a 15 because after all, y'all have them.

I went to Les Schwab for mine.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #94 - 01/15/08 at 04:06:49

These folks were a lot cheaper when I did it, but they still have and will ship you a tire.  Any car tire place will order you one, just ask them.

http://www.bfyobsoleteparts.com/Tires-c-338.html

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #95 - 01/21/08 at 10:07:04

And if you want the MAXIMUM width tire that will go in your 7.0" fender well (will require full hardware replacement with flush mounted bevel headed screws as listed up thread) this is the one.  Size is 175/65R15,  costs $90 (twice as much as a VW tire from the cheapie place).

Note it has rounded corners so you won't have bump steer issues to the same degree as a square shouldered tire would have.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P3000E&veh...

Go here for the Tire Rack listing -- you will have to tell Tire Rack you own a Mini Cooper Convertible when they ask you what sort of car you plan to mount the tire on.  Tell them your girl friend wants a full size spare for her car and you have bought a stock Mini Cooper rim from a junkyard to put it on.  Tire Rack is VERY tiresome about all their questions to make sure the tire they sell you is a legal match to the vehicle ...

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #96 - 05/04/08 at 14:27:15

155/80-15 is a more common size than 145R-15 and can be order just about anywhere including tirerack and walmart last time I checked.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #97 - 05/05/08 at 13:36:47

Here is the BF Goodrich 155/80R-15 from Tire Rack.  This $69 tire gets pretty good reviews (80,000 mile tire life reported on larger versions of the same tire) and it would be easier to install in a Savage fender well than the wider Perelli tire shown above.  This will likely be my next tire in a few years when I need to replace the $34.99 Ching-Fooie that is on there now.

Wal-Mart will order this tire for you for $79 -- this is actually cheaper than Tire Rack as Wal-Mart does not charge you for shipping as it comes on their standard weekly truck shipment.

This tire is "best fit" for what you can get easily from a local store -- you will still have to do some of the width mods listed above on both sides of your fender well.    The 145-15 tire size would likely require the bolt head mod on the left side only.  

Phelonius gives us the 135-15 tire size (same as stock tire) which does not require any fender bolt mods at all.  You pick the level of complexity you want to deal with when you pick your tire size, just remember we are seeing tire life on the order of 2-3 years out of these tires so you certainly won't have to mess with picking tires very often.

(addendum "we are seeing tire life on the order of 4-6 years out of these tires .... once broken in they don't wear as fast")

Oldfeller

« Last Edit: 08/19/08 at 06:38:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #98 - 05/06/08 at 14:42:30

Good lookin' tread pattern, too!   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #99 - 09/09/08 at 15:52:53

DO NOT PUT A CAR TIRE ON A BIKE RIM.  IT IS TOO DANGEROUS.

============================================

barry68v10 PUT A TA 155/80r15 ON THE BACK OF HIS BIKE, DROVE IT A COUPLE OF MILES TO A SERVICE STATION AND BLEW IT UP (that's exploded it for you who haven't heard yet) AT 175 PSI TRYING TO GET THE BEAD TO SEAT.  HE HAD SPRAYED TRUCK BED LINER ON HIS SPOKES TO SEAL THEM AND GOT SOME ON THE BEAD AREA.

HE DID DAMAGE TO HIS HEARING AND SHREDDED HIS SADDLE BAGS.

DO NOT TRY THIS MOD.

IT IS FORMALLY UNAPPROVED FOR LIST MEMBERS TO DO.

I FORMALLY RECANT THIS MOD AS IT IS TOO DANGEROUS TO YOU AND YOUR EARS AND YOUR HANDS AND YOUR EYES (AND TO YOUR SADDLE BAGS).

(signed)

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #100 - 09/09/08 at 15:54:46

Now, there is some debate as to if Barry68v10 is pulling our collective legs since he magically threw away his saddle bags and stripped his shredded tire off his rim within the first hour of posting about his adventure and he cannot/won't provide a picture of either the shredded tire or the eat up saddle bags.  

Personally, I think he really blew it up like he said -- but you believe what you want to.

But his story jives with some interesting points which are available which cause me not to want to recommend that Joe Ordinary List member be messing with high air pressures when mounting tires.

This is from a legal reference source:

============================

"BEAD FAILURES:

Tire bead failure explosions usually occur during the tire mounting process as a result of a latent design defect present in passenger and light truck tires. Most light truck and passenger tires employ a .037 inch weftless bead configuration which is subject to failure at pressures as low as 38 pounds per square inch. Low pressure explosions most often occur if the splice of the bead wire becomes impeded during inflation of the tire. This is commonly referred to as bead hang-up and has been documented in the patent literature, industry documents, and litigation since the mid 1950s."

============================

You will note that Barry REALLY REALLY hung his bead up with too low a pressure at initial mounting, then let it sit overnight to firmly cement that hung up condition in place then actually put the tire on his bike and rode it several miles to find a place with 125-175 pound air pressure available outside to users (kinda dangerous, don't you think to give Joe Ordinary access to 175 psi air when tires really can blow up at those pressures -- what were THEY thinking ??)

Barry's tire certainly meets the bead hang up requirement for a low pressure bead failure as he didn't unseat the bead, relubricate it and try afresh to pressure seat it in one continuous motion with sufficient volume & pressure.

===========================

Next, Alcoa Aluminum builds mag wheels and offers us some mounting hints to AVOID EXPLOSIONS.

"Do not use flammable solutions for tire and bead grease. Flammable grease could cause the tire to explode during inflation or driving, causing possible death or serious injury. Use proper tire mounting and inflation equipment.

An inflated tire can separate from the wheel and explode, resulting in death or serious injury. Use a safety cage for inflating tires."

===========================

Remember, Barry says he sprayed truck bed liner compound all over the the spoke heads on the inside of his rim trying to air seal them.  He admits some sticky bed liner overspray may have gotten involved in the rim area.

Not only did he cement his mis-seated hung up bead in place with an adhesive, he provided it with a volatile flammable gas source as well.  The solvent used in spray bed liner stuff uses propane and other very flammable items that are supposed to cure out in the open air.  Barry trapped this stuff inside his partially seated tire and gave it some time to migrate out of the solid black goo and intermix with the high pressure air trapped in his spoke sealed rim.  Then he jacked the pressure up and up and up and up and up and up and up.

Pop goes the weasel ....

Now, why do I no longer recommend anything about tires to anybody?

Folks like Barry is why I don't make recommendations any more.

Even if Barry really is kidding us, there really are folks like "Barry" out there.

How dumb are people?  There are documented cases of people shooting ethyl either (starting fluid) into big truck tires that had lost their bead seal and flipping a match at them.  

Pop goes the weasel ....

Don't play with them nasty tire irons, folks -- you could hurty yourself.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #101 - 09/09/08 at 16:30:49

I've seen them on TV, with a Biggo wheel & tire, squirt the ether in it & flip a match & Whammo, tire is on the rim. I've also heard of people messing with 18 wheeler wheels using the split rims & getting killed, because they didnt put it in a cage to air it up.
Every time my tire fails to climb the rim & seat fully, I let it sit a while, remove the Schrader valve, unseat the bead thats on & lube it up & try again. I start getting pretty worried at 60 PSI..I really dont like that much pressure.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #102 - 09/10/08 at 03:29:58

The darkside guys follow a similar pattern on a tight tire, they air it up no more than 80-90 and if it won't go on they relax it by pulling the schrader valve (center valve in the air stem) and busting the bead seating connection all the way around the tire on both sides and relubing it grossly.  Then they try again.

The intent for the breaking free and relubing is that the slack that does exist in the bead fit-up has to be able to move around freely as the tire tries to seat the entire circumference of the bead -- if the bead seizes tight in any one location prematurely then the slack is not free to move and the tire won't seat.

This is the "hung bead" referred to in the post above.

It is not unusual for several air up/down, break bead, relube and try again cycles to be required as some tires are "tight" due to mgf variances simply stacking up the wrong way.  The bead stretches and conforms a little more each time until it finally slips on.

DO NOT PUT A CAR TIRE ON A BIKE RIM.  IT IS TOO DANGEROUS.

============================================

barry68v10 PUT A TA 155/80r15 ON THE BACK OF HIS BIKE, DROVE IT A COUPLE OF MILES TO A SERVICE STATION AND BLEW IT UP (that's exploded it for you who haven't heard yet) AT 175 PSI TRYING TO GET THE BEAD TO SEAT.  HE HAD SPRAYED TRUCK BED LINER ON HIS SPOKES TO SEAL THEM AND GOT SOME ON THE BEAD AREA.

HE DID DAMAGE TO HIS HEARING AND SHREDDED HIS SADDLE BAGS.

DO NOT TRY THIS MOD.

IT IS FORMALLY UNAPPROVED FOR LIST MEMBERS TO DO.

I FORMALLY RECANT THIS MOD AS IT IS TOO DANGEROUS TO YOU AND YOUR EARS AND YOUR HANDS AND YOUR EYES (AND TO YOUR SADDLE BAGS).

(signed)

Oldfeller

« Last Edit: 09/10/08 at 15:21:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #103 - 09/10/08 at 14:47:59

now if you could get some MC spoked rims on a bug i would be IMPRESSED! just for cruising at the hot rod shows of course.

bobber style with no front brakes and drums on the back! (abunai!)

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #104 - 12/07/08 at 00:11:38

(for historical preservation since it will likely get trashed having been posted in the tech section and all)

MMRanch
YaBB Newbies

EVIL FLOURISHES IF
GOOD MEN DO NOTHING

LYNCHBURG TN

Tire goodrich 155/80-15
12/03/08 at 04:03:10 Alert Board Moderator about this Post! Quote
It's posible !  I just put a 155/80-15 GOODRICH  RADIAL TA   on the back of my savage.  No mods nessary...It seated at 76 psi  with half and half dishwashing soap, water.  I did bring it up to 50 psi to day befor and left it sit overnight to stretch a little.  If it were any bigger it would catch the bolt heads holding the crome things on the side of the fender.  There is about a half inch clearence on the belt side and three fourths on the high side,  there is almost an inch to the middle of the swing arm.  The only delima is "what about one side being raised white letter and the other side black letters?"
Though ya'll might use this information.  

The mitchlin 145r-15 I replaced needed over a 100 psi (guage only goes to 100) to seat and latter developed a BUBBLE  in the side wall.

ALL IT TAKES FOR EVIL TO FLURISH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING
Email Personal Message MMRanch MMRanch Add to My Buddy List   IP Logged
Oldfeller
Serious Thumper

Not too old to ride,
thank God !!

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Tire goodrich 155/80-15
Reply #1 - Yesterday at 22:08:08 Alert Board Moderator about this Post! Quote Modify Remove
Gasp!  Oh my goodness!

That's a car tire!  On the back of a motorcycle no less!  

Don't you know that isn't safe, that you will slide over on that thing just as soon as you try to go around a corner?

Grin   Grin   Grin

===========

Give us a ride report, oh you young fledgling Darksider you.  You must tell the story of "getting your hindbrain used to it" and the story of what a full lock emergency sliding stop sounds like.

Leaving your pressure jacked up over 35 psi can do some internal damage to a tire if it is left that way for very long.  50 lbs it certainly too much to leave that way for very long.

Don't forget to write down the date and your odometer mileage on the inside of your fender with a sharpie pen so you can eventually report how long and how many miles you got.

And for the rest of you, you who are going to put yet another expensive bike tire on the back of your Savage this summer, I have a special message for you from the founding father of the Darkside Boys

yeah, ol' dangerous Freddy's singing to you again ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMenB9Ywh2Q&feature=PlayList&p=4BF32CB8D7FA620...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 03:04:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drinkin' & thinkn'

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.