azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: Cam Chain Issues
Reply #45 - 05/19/07 at 06:35:33

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I'm hoping it's the one that Debra's bike threw not long after running for a while with no oil.  That little bit of extra heat and lack of lube might help explain it a bit.

i dont have debby's engine apart yet, that is bikemom's chain @ 8000mi. i was up at dad's shop the other day, and looked down at the suzi's odometer, it shows 9500mi, debby put 4000mi on that bike in 6mos! yeah, we ride 'em!

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #46 - 05/19/07 at 19:19:55

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
2.38mm .094" longer than new... .02" over the max.

And only 8k miles?  You got this from bikemom?  

She must be one bad ass biker chic!

Hot on the throttle and no oil!  Shocked

something is wrong with the math, 128.9mm (max)- 127.4mm allows 1.5mm service length remaining.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #47 - 05/19/07 at 20:37:41

I should know better to do math with numbers I didn't quite remember and sitting at a perfectly good conversion tool.  Only defense was I was hurring to get back to my real job.   Grin

Thanks for the catch.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #48 - 05/23/07 at 16:41:31

based on the changes in oil theory:

independent scientific oil report

IP Logged
borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 05/24/07 at 00:18:21

I have to wonder what would happen if I just replaced the tensioner with a manually adjustable bolt & locknut mechanism, and figured on pulling the clutch cover every 5000 miles or so to adjust it. And possibly fabricate a small inspection window to expedite the adjustment.

No, that would never do, it would put an end to catastrophic cam chain tensioner failures and all those poor mechanics in the service dept would have nothing to do ....

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #50 - 05/24/07 at 04:04:31

Keep that "threaded thing pulling" thought and extended it out through an oil-tight fitting right out through the front side of the case (yeah, you'd have to drill and tap a hole).

An external manually adjusted "pull" that doesn't back up but is controlled by your fingers to the appropriate tension level (hot or cold, your pick).

Downside is you'd have to fiddle with it every few weeks to keep perfect tune, bi-monthly if you just wanted to make sure no noise developed.

Upside, no spring thingy to come apart and dump pieces in your gears.  Also unlimited forward adjustment until your chain literally rubbed inself on the other side of the gap.

Ponder on that thought a bit.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
trooper3
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 05/24/07 at 09:19:32

The external adjustment of the cam chain is what was used on the Honda XR 4 stroke dirt bikes I used to have for my kids. The Service Manual said when you heard "excessive" cam chain noise, you loosened an external locknut, screwed in the adjuster until the noise lessened, and  retightened the locknut. In the years my kids rode the bikes I only adjusted them once (only around 3,000 total miles on them during that time but none of the miles were "easy" if you know what I mean, ridden hard and put away wet).
Rick C.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #52 - 05/24/07 at 10:12:25

There are already several threads with a lot of duplication of effort on this topic so since this was related I moved it here to keep the info together as much as possible.

borne2fly wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
The cam chain tensioner seems to be a major source of concern, apparently this thing can ultimately extend itself so far as to come apart and drop into the gears. Lovely. I'm thinking of fabricating an old-fashioned screw type manually adjustable tensioner. Yes, it would be a pain because I'd have to pull the clutch cover ever 5K miles or so to check the adjustment, but that's better than losing my engine. Besides, Harley uses a chain between the engine and tranny and after about 10k miles it seems to have done 90% of the stretching it's going  to do.

Any feedback on this? Has anyone already done it?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #53 - 05/24/07 at 11:56:59

Thanks Rob!   Grin

If you're going to a manual adjuster, I think you need to be in there every 2-3k miles.  Worst case; 9mm project at zero miles, 18mm at 10k.  So at 1k it will be 1mm loose.  How loose can it be before adjustment is necessary?

The owners manual (Hey Greg, Shocked I read the manual) says to tighten the head bolts every 4k miles.  To do this you have pop the head cover.  And you easily take off the clutch cover at the same time.  Will converting to manual adjustment prolong the cam drive system?  

Except for replacing the tensioner adjuster, guides, chain and gasket often enough to make a jewish scotsman cry, we have a good, quiet system.  Just needs a little more attention than one that's in $10k bike.

WWW   IP Logged
borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 05/24/07 at 12:28:04

I don't know if a manually adjustable tensioner would extend the life of the chain, but I do know that having loose pieces of automatic tensioner falling into your gears will shorten the life of the engine Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #55 - 05/24/07 at 13:27:46

borne2fly wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I don't know if a manually adjustable tensioner would extend the life of the chain, but I do know that having loose pieces of automatic tensioner falling into your gears will shorten the life of the engine Smiley

Which is why the pin portion of the Slavy/Verslagen1 modified tensioner is nice.  It keeps the tensioner piston from falling out.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #56 - 05/24/07 at 13:41:36

Borne2fly,

My extended life comment was that you would be able to continue making adjustments un-abated until the chain hit itself.  The German Savage group figured out a way to do this trick and our own group figured out another way to do this same trick that cost a good bit less money.  

But both methods still mean you take off the side cover multiple times over the total possible adjustment life of the chain itself (30,000-50,000 miles).

Since I have 10,000 more miles to go before participating in this tensioner fire-drill, I am considering a one-shot alteration method that would either be externally adjusted (the pull screw system) or maybe a really long travel spring unit that would be replaced just once and would be good to go from then on until the chain hit itself.

The standard Savage cam chain tensioner unit is a joke as far as total adjustmement travel goes.  A replacement tensioning system simply has to be able to do significantly better for travel as taking the cover off multiple times is "undesireable" to me if all you are going to be doing it for is to service the short stroke of the cam chain tensioner.

I want to go in there just once at 15,000 miles and replace the sucker with something much longer lasting (along with washer shimming my clutch springs to make the clutch a more robust arrangement and perhaps replacing the friction plates with some better plates if some exist at that point in time).

I certainly don't want to do it more than once.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #57 - 05/24/07 at 14:03:14

Our home grown method will mean you need to reposition the tensioner guide to the new hole somewhere between 10 and 30k miles.  And if you do my mod, a noisey engine will tell you when.   Grin

It doesn't mean you shouldn't do required inspections in the mean time.

WWW   IP Logged
borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 05/24/07 at 15:16:39

Oldfeller,

I like the idea of a tensioner with a longer travel but it seems like a pain to build. Does anyone make one that could be modified to fit?

If I went with a manually adjusted tensioner, I would tend to adjust it a little on the loose side so the chain wouldn't get too tight when the engine warmed up. If it ran a little loose like that all the time, what would be the harm except a very slight lead/lag in the valve train? I understand that for optimal performance I would want to get in and adjust it quite often, but if I didn't care about optimal performance I might be able to let it go between adjustments for thousands of miles. Another post somewhere suggested that the existing tensioner tightened everything up even when the engine is cold, which I imagine would result in an overtightened chain when the engine warmed up, resulting in accelerated chain stretch. Running it somewhat looser might extend the life of the thing, what do you think?

IP Logged
borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 05/24/07 at 15:21:19

K1200LTryder,

> .... So I did the welded tab mod, 5/8" center to center, and now the plunger comes out 3 clics.

What is the welded tab mod? Are you adding 5/8" to the moving arm of the tensioner?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 03:02:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.