Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Issues (Read 174 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Cam Chain Issues
Reply #15 - 05/15/07 at 06:45:04

After a short chat with one of the really educated among us I have just a bit more info. I won't quote him, not because i dont want to give credit, but to make sure I dont misrepresent what he meant. He can make a complete statement when he is ready. Awwright, this is what I got from it all & it may be revised after more variables are considered, BUT, as it stands, lets give the vertical change between the centers of the cam & crank a .015" deflection.

The rest is from me, don't blame him!!
Now, If the tensioner catches a new "slot" in the ratchet when the engine cools & then ya go for a ride & the cam & crank move away from each other by .015 inches, what stresses are involved? Will the rear guide deflect enough to protect the chain from excessive stresses?NOt if it's straight, it won't( My opinion) An idea I've just had that might help a bit would be a spring installed between the Rear Guide & Tensioner. I wonder if a spring there would keep the tensioner from grabbing another slot until the chain is loose enough to allow it to happen without the thermal expansion of the engine stretching on the chain so hard. I know I am not making that point clear. I hope someone can finish it out. Surely someone will understand.
This spring needs to be stronger than the one in the tensioner.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #16 - 05/15/07 at 06:55:37

i dont think the issue is chain stretch, it seems to be adjuster wear, an inferior nylon/plastic(poor friction qualities) regardless of oil choice. i haven't seen anybody report a chain that was stretched/worn beyond MFR specs. i just took the cover off the 8000mile '97 engine i bought from bikemom28(thanks again!) and the tensioner was extended 20mm. i've got a new tension guide on order from  http://crotchrocket.com/ i'll measure the chain length and report back on it soon.
i recently took the 2.9l v6 out of my '87 broncoII, it uses the same arrangement, it was fine, and it has 200,000 miles on it.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #17 - 05/15/07 at 07:05:02

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
After a short chat with one of the really educated among us I have just a bit more info. I won't quote him, not because i dont want to give credit, but to make sure I dont misrepresent what he meant. He can make a complete statement when he is ready. Awwright, this is what I got from it all & it may be revised after more variables are considered, BUT, as it stands, lets give the vertical change between the centers of the cam & crank a .015" deflection.

You mean that the distance between the camshaft gear and the crankshaft gear will change by that amount during the normal heat-cold cycle and with other normal engine stresses?

Quote:
The rest is from me, don't blame him!!
Now, If the tensioner catches a new "slot" in the ratchet when the engine cools & then ya go for a ride & the cam & crank move away from each other by .015 inches, what stresses are involved? Will the rear guide deflect enough to protect the chain from excessive stresses?NOt if it's straight, it won't( My opinion) An idea I've just had that might help a bit would be a spring installed between the Rear Guide & Tensioner. I wonder if a spring there would keep the tensioner from grabbing another slot until the chain is loose enough to allow it to happen without the thermal expansion of the engine stretching on the chain so hard. I know I am not making that point clear. I hope someone can finish it out. Surely someone will understand.
This spring needs to be stronger than the one in the tensioner.

I think I understand you. If the vertical movement is more than the guides can compensate for, then the adjuster will pop out to the next ratchet notch. When the engine stresses cause the chain to get stretched again, the adjuster is keeping it too tight and adding to the speed of the chain wear?

If you add another spring to prevent this wouldn't that also prevent the adjuster from doing the job it was designed to do?

Ken

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/15/07 at 07:24:57

You did get what I was so miserably trying to say! cool,, & thanks. Maybe try to look at it like this. You have a self adjusting tensioner that seems to be taking up slack that it really shouldn't, so, stick a short throw, stout spring in series with it, so that when it does grab a new notch, it will be compressing the other, ( the new, short, stout spring) instead of just mercilessly tugging at the cam chain. It wouldnt keep the tensioner form adjusting, just keep it from adjusting too soon.

Yea, the thermal expansion of aluminum at the operating temp of the engine would appear to be enough to cause the engine to "grow" .015" between the center of the crank & cam. Easy enough to visualize, about 1/2 of an old spark plug gap. If the tensioner has the chain pulled tight & then the thing gets taller by .015", that's a pretty brutal strain on the chain. Something must be giving some, or I dont see how it would last as long as it does. Maybe the rear guides are supposed to have a curved profile from the factory? Odd, the book says nothing, or have I overlooked that?

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #19 - 05/15/07 at 07:57:28

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
i dont think the issue is chain stretch

Someone here thought the same thing and replaced only the "tensioner" (what we normally think of as the rear guide). His adjuster was still too far extended after reassembly so he replaced the chain (even though it was still in spec) and that brought the adjuster back to where it should be for long life.

Even though the chain stretch doesn't cause it to be out of spec, replacing the chain seems to bring the adjuster back to a normal setting.

Ken

IP Logged
Peter-the-blacksmith
YaBB Newbies

Choppers for life !

Finland
Reply #20 - 05/15/07 at 07:57:55

The cam chain for a Kawasaki ZZR 600 fits the Savage, and is MUCH cheaper, at least here in Europe. Wink
Don't know if it maybe lasts better than the Savage's original one... Anyone who can make a comment on that out of experience ? 8)

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
  IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 05/15/07 at 08:12:20

Good point Justin_o_guy, BUT...the timing chain has a driven side, and a slack side. I believe the flexability of the rear tensioner would compensate for engine growth, and if anything, the cam would advance on a heat cycle....not by much, but you would still have some cam timing advance.

If the cam chain was set with no slack, IE; small block chevy, then there would be a problem with an overly tight chain, bearing failure et al.

The design of the Suzuki chain is a 'silent' running style, a roller chain would not be so prone to stretch, but would be noisier. My CBX has 2 roller style chains driving the cams, they are noisy, but I love the mechanical sounds produced by them...after about 50,000 miles on them, no sign of wear at all, not the chains, nor the guides.

The LS650 was designed as an entry level beginner bike that looks good and suits a range of riders that are 'slight' of build.

Perfect bike for shorter inseams, and for folks that want the riding experience at a low cost....you can buy a brand new on for 4 grand...that's pretty cheap for a new bike !

Too bad they are so cheaply built tho...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 05/15/07 at 08:16:20

I have a new tensioner guide, it was straight as supplied by factory.  The backbone is spring steel.  I doubt that it was bent in transit.  SSM doesn't mension curve, in pictures it looks straight.

Justin you're right.  Assuming everything is 200°F, there's a .014" difference in the growth between the cylinder and chain.  There will be more if the cylinder is hot and the chain cool.

Ken, I agree with you, it's not only chain stretch.  It's chain teeth wear.

WWW   IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 05/15/07 at 09:42:21

I put in a new rear guide, new adjuster, and still the plunger was protruding out 18MM. The chain measured very close to being new. So I did the welded tab mod, 5/8" center to center, and now the plunger comes out 3 clics.

Bike runs great, and I can forsee no problems with the fix.

The simpler, the better !

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #24 - 05/15/07 at 10:01:09

Peter_the_blacksmith wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
The cam chain for a Kawasaki ZZR 600 fits the Savage, and is MUCH cheaper, at least here in Europe. Wink

I just checked at BikeBandit.com and the Savage chain is actually less money by a little bit. (2002 LS650 vs 2004 ZZR 600)

Ken

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #25 - 05/15/07 at 10:38:50

Does anyone remember any cam chain... failures from the heise forum?  from what I gather, no.

if anyone wants to take the time to go through it all, I have the first 19k messages in a zip file.

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #26 - 05/15/07 at 13:03:20

I'll search that zip. Send it to me at

kenglong at comcast dot net

Ken

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #27 - 05/15/07 at 13:10:42

sent.  hasn't bounced back yet.

IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #28 - 05/15/07 at 13:51:07

Here is something I found on the net;

gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=32055.msg354283

Looks like someone did the same as Reelthing,
If I understand it correct???
And some other stuff about the camchain
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #29 - 05/15/07 at 18:51:02

From Bert's forum, Max remembers one from a San Diego commuter who went about 90K miles before it was a problem. Last I remember he fixed it and his wife was riding it after he got a sportster. I do not recollect any others. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 03:23:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.