Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Issues (Read 174 times)
borne2fly
Ex Member

Re: Cam Chain Issues
Reply #60 - 05/24/07 at 15:41:21

Another idea ......

How about cutting a lengthwise slot in the tensioner piston (plunger?) and drilling/tapping a hole for a set screw in the barrel? The set screw would ride in the slot and allow the plunger to move, but would prevent the plunger from falling out (the slot would not run the entire length of the plunger). You might lose the last few mm of range but at least the thing would not come apart. And I'd use red loctite for the set screw.

Actually a slot wouldn't be necessary, all you'd need is a flat spot on one side that went almost to the end of the plunger.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #61 - 05/24/07 at 17:42:39

Well, if you'd read all the cam chain post's you'd know that's what I'm talking about.

I got a few that I'm making up for other's.  After abit more miles, I'll check my mod for reliability.  After that, I'll offer to make more for others.  Soon.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #62 - 05/24/07 at 17:58:09

Cam Chain Issue Library

there's a lot here... and more to come...

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 05/25/07 at 04:18:00

Yes Born2fly....weld a tab on the end of the plunger and drill the proper size hole in it, not my idea, It is all verslagens fault (I think)....by the time the plunger is ready to pop out, the chain itself would be in contact with the driven side.

The most effective fix I've found here, and the simplest one at that !

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #64 - 05/25/07 at 07:11:17

No can't take credit for that, the welded tab was (to my knowledge) 1st presented here by slavy.  It's his fault.   Grin

My Idea is to lock the adjuster plunger and housing together with a pin and slot.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 05/26/07 at 11:21:07

Verslagen1 said ....
"My Idea is to lock the adjuster plunger and housing together with a pin and slot".

Yep, I like it. I'm getting a new TA soon and will do exactly that.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #66 - 05/26/07 at 13:22:52

I created a new plunger from some 5/8th inch screw rod. I sanded it down to just fit in the current cylinder. This allowed me to make the piston longer. I then drilled the piston on one end with a 7/16th's bit until I had a bout 3/4 of an inch of the end of the rod left. I drilled and threaded the the undrilled end of the piston to a final size of #8 metric bolt. I purchased a #8 eye bolt and threaded it into the piston.

Know it's all back together, and I have had no problems with it after at least 500 miles. I figure with this set-up I can go let the piston adjust the cam chain as normal and then when it is time to service the clutch and give things a good inspection I can reset the piston by unscrewing the eye bolt some. This should just about double the life of the cam chain.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #67 - 05/29/07 at 07:15:40

i swapped in a brand new tensioner slider into the '97 8000 mile motor i got from bikemom28, it made absolutely NO difference in the adjuster's extension, still out 20mm. so i put the origional slider back in (i'll save the new one for debby's '96 engine), and did the slavy mod to the adjuster. appearantly 50% stretch on the cam chain WILL over extend the adjuster, which certainly dispells my earlier statement about chains not being the issue  Undecided

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
flubbyhead
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 05/29/07 at 09:42:55

Hey, Hello everyone! New Savage owner here, Flubbyhead. My 96 was making noise at 6,200 miles. I thought it was loud but my other little thumper makes noise, also. Long to short, the tensioner popped out at 6,900 and I luckily limped home with no interference of valves and piston. I am waiting for the rundown on this issue.                                As Always,
                                          Uncle Flub

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #69 - 05/29/07 at 10:30:27

flubbyhead wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
  Hey, Hello everyone! New Savage owner here, Flubbyhead. My 96 was making noise at 6,200 miles. I thought it was loud but my other little thumper makes noise, also. Long to short, the tensioner popped out at 6,900 and I luckily limped home with no interference of valves and piston. I am waiting for the rundown on this issue.                                As Always,
                                          Uncle Flub

Welcome to the site!  I'd seriously wonder if the bike didn't have more miles than that odometer shows.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #70 - 06/13/07 at 06:11:33

A piece of info from vroom:

1997 bike, ~13k miles.  replaced: cam chain, both tensioners (plastic-tefllon slides), and plunger-spring-housing (these parts may still exist in massachusetts!)

4 years and ~12k miles later, I checked the plunger.  21.5 mm +- 0.5 mm extended from plunger.  front tensioner (slide) looks good.  forgot to check rear.  Almost always used Penzoil 10-40 oil, every 1k miles. definitely no sludge in oil.  going to have the tab wleded on there today.

will check the 1998 soon.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #71 - 06/29/07 at 10:48:34

had a tab welded on to plunger (versalven mod, good work guys!).  sticks out 6 mm +- 0.5 mm

will check in fall/winter.  rear slide had no grooves.  did not measure chain.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #72 - 06/29/07 at 11:14:21

to be specific, the welded tab is slavy's idea.
My mod is the pin and slot in addition to the welded tab.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #73 - 06/29/07 at 11:51:06

aha...

I actually meant to type "ver-slavy"  Tongue

none the less, great work!

feel like doing an article specifically for the tech sect?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #74 - 07/05/07 at 04:47:32

Well, I just installed the Slavy-Verslagen modded adjuster yesterday, as well as new clutch springs.  I guess it was only slightly too soon also.  Pics below of the old one in place show the extension at 9375 miles on the odometer on my bike.  Yeah, there was still some old gasket material on there when I took the pics.  In general, she was nearly fully extended but not enough to damage the adjuster yet.

To give you a better idea, I'll include the below image.  This is not from my bike.  However, at 9375 miles, this same mod was installed and I first used the left hole but that only left 1mm of space before the safety pin would hit the far right side of the slot.  I then installed it using the right hole and the Safety pin is now 1mm from the far left end of the slot.  So I figure I should get at least another 5k-6k miles before she hits the end of the slot and starts to rattle a warning.  I do feel better having the safety pin in place to allow a warning instead of the piston dropping out and grenading the engine.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 07:23:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.