Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: WHO ARE WE?
Reply #30 - 05/25/05 at 16:41:16

I'm 51 and getting ready to move to Florida in eight days. Worked in the medical field as a biomedical tech on dialysis machines for almost 25 years. Got tired of the rat race after three buyouts in four years and being on call 24/7, all the administration was interested in was cost containment not the welfare of the patient. Would like to retire but can't yet, will look for a job in Florida but want to be an indian not a chief. Own two bikes, a '02 Savage and a '69 Ducati 250. Pets include six parrots, and two dogs, also am a hobby beekeeper with one or two bee hives. Only been riding for a couple of years but love it which is one of the reasons I'm moving to Florida where the weather is more rider friendly. Ride Safe, Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 05/25/05 at 17:53:52

I'm 41.  I've been married to my husband for 16 years.  We have one 14 year old son and I have a 25 year old stepson.

I've been a systems coordinator in a mental health hospital, physician's assistant and office manager for a surgeon, social assistant and office manager for a psychiatrist, ballistics tester for an armored car company (cool job!) and I'm currently the office manager for the local telephone company.

I have a bit of free time at work, and spend most of my non-riding/non-work time on the computer.  When I'm not rding, working, or surfing the forums, I play "The Sims 2".

I just started riding in September of last year and have only about 2000 miles under my belt.  I love it and regret that I didn't start riding 20 years ago.  I'm a bit of any anomoly in that my husband doesn't ride, nor has he ever...I didn't grow up riding, and no one I know rides.  It's just something I wanted to do for me.

And that's me...

IP Logged
surplusguy
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 05/25/05 at 18:20:25

Let me get my 2-cents in also. Bought my first bike (Savage 650) at age 60. Took MSF course in March and been having a blast every day I ride. Will "retire" at 62 officially from my day job. Also have a home restoration biz. Wil not ever stop working.  Bad thing to do. But plan to ride more, kick back some, and travel more.
OK, that's ME.

IP Logged
ghostrider
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 05/25/05 at 18:45:23

I'm 46 and a stay-at-home dad. Married with a 3yo daughter and another on the way. by the time the younguns grow up I'll be ready to retire. Grin I just started riding a few months ago. Sold my '47' Chevy and '59' Stude and bought a bike. The bike is way more fun and a lot cheaper to play with.

Ghostrider

IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #34 - 05/25/05 at 20:19:56

I'm retired. Worked for "big oil" for 27 years (got paid for 29  Grin) and volunteered for the "package/buyout" when Phillips and Conoco merged. I worked as an accountant, auditor and analyst. Raised two younguns, one lives in New Zealand now. I rode for about 25 years, was without a bike for about 10 years, and got the Savage about a year ago. I have about 2800 miles on it now. Haven't been able to make a trip on it yet but am planning on one the last part of June, possibly to include the Talimena Drive ride with some of the others here. My "job" now is fixing up the "pearl in the rough" we bought. Finishing up what the builder didn't do and cleaning up the 40 acres with it.

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #35 - 05/26/05 at 03:28:38

Sometimes employed automotive PLC/conveyor/goon.
Late 40s, -wanna know what happened to the 60s corporate propaganda- GM flyin cars & IBM 4-day work week ?
Now anticipate Soc. Sec. "B" plan, retirement=death.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Dingo_Jones
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 05/26/05 at 07:46:47

Hello all.
At 24, it looks like I'm a young'n here, but hey, we all have Savages right?
I'm a single guy and I live on Vashon Island in the Seattle area, a sweet little place to call home. It's accessible only by ferry, and has some of the best riding around.
I bought my '95 Savage a few months ago. It's my first bike, and I just love it. I'm racking up a little over a thousand miles a month, and starting to feel pretty comfortable and confident riding.
For work, I'm a technology support person(read: please fix my computer mr. Tech guy!!!) and webmaster for a local school district during the school year, and a sailing instructor for a junior learn-to-sail program in the summer months, it makes for a nice balance, and keeps me from getting bored.
For hobbies, I'm a rock climber and hiker, but my real passion is inline marathon racing. I usually skate in 4-6 races a year, and consider myself fairly competetive. It might not be the speed rush of a Motorcycle, but hitting 45 on a good downhill strech with nothing but 10 wheels and a few inches between you and the pavement can make for a good bit of adrenaline. Fruit-bootin isn't all bad
Wink

Anyhow, nice to meet all of you, and thanks for the great board.
-DJ

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #37 - 05/26/05 at 07:55:40

gandalph40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
HOLY CARP!  6 fish!  jk!  (but I am stumped on the math...your profile says you're not old enough to have 4 grown kids unless there are some twins or trips or something in there...haha)

46, work in IT (DBA), so I have some down-time between crises too, and I have an understanding employer.  2 teenagers.  2 cars, 2 trucks, one bike.  I thought about retiring at 55 once...thought didn't last very long.

Tom

actually only the two oldest are adults. the next two are now living with the dad( i call him other things not printable here) and driving HIM crazy(as if he wasn't already), so i am left with the four youngest.
and THEY are going to spend the summer with him this year. so i finally get a break.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
ethan

Reply #38 - 05/26/05 at 11:29:01

database administrator and part-time faculty at an art college.
underground video artist.

found this site before i bought my bike in july of last year. this info helped me decide on a savage.
first time and daily rider.

check it during the work day or at lunch time.

currently residing in santa fe, nm looking to move to chicago for grad school.

IP Logged
Deb
2005 No Login

02 silver savage :)
In the mountains of
East Tenn.

Tennessee
Reply #39 - 05/26/05 at 12:00:57

Bluejeanz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I'm 41.  I've been married to my husband for 16 years.  We have one 14 year old son and I have a 25 year old stepson.

I've been a systems coordinator in a mental health hospital, physician's assistant and office manager for a surgeon, social assistant and office manager for a psychiatrist, ballistics tester for an armored car company (cool job!) and I'm currently the office manager for the local telephone company.

I have a bit of free time at work, and spend most of my non-riding/non-work time on the computer.  When I'm not rding, working, or surfing the forums, I play "The Sims 2".

I just started riding in September of last year and have only about 2000 miles under my belt.  I love it and regret that I didn't start riding 20 years ago.  I'm a bit of any anomoly in that my husband doesn't ride, nor has he ever...I didn't grow up riding, and no one I know rides.  It's just something I wanted to do for me.

And that's me...

You go Girlfriend!  It is your time now go for it!  8)

YaBBCJunior
Littled200056   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #40 - 05/26/05 at 16:07:02

How much space am I allowed for this?

I am 55, been riding since 1966, and I am an electro-mechanical technician (automation).  My kids, from a former life, are grown and I am free to enjoy doing whatever I want with my present spouse of 5 years.

What matters is that I love bikes.  My past is a  collection that hardly follows any pattern.  They were a Honda Sport 50, a Honda CB360, a Honda XL350, a Yam DT400, 2 Yam DT175s, a Yam IT250, and a Yam XS850 triple.

Currently, I have a green 2000 Savage that I have been compelled to disassemble several times, modify as much as my facilities and finances allow, and if I can ever get past my dilemma with the springer seat installation and the requisition of proper Oregon registration, I'll be riding the darn thing on the Ash Run next month.

I am also guilty of mentoring my spouse in the "way of the force", and therefore purchase a 2001 Savage, as well  8)

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #41 - 05/27/05 at 01:56:56

I'm 61, married for more than 25 years and have 2 kids age 24 and 17 and 2 cats.
Been in civil aviation aviation maintenace for 40 years and made redundant 2 years ago. Due to the decrease in income I was forced to sell  my Audi 80 cabrio.
So I bought the Savage and ride it whenever I can ( wished I had done that long ago). Do my own wrenching.
I do 3 half days work for the community ( not payed) doing small jobs and fixing thing for the elderly people and disabled persons.
The rest of my time is filled with: housekeeping Angry, riding my bike Cheesy, fixing the house Sad, riding my bike Cheesy, my hobbies Roll Eyes and riding my bike Cheesy.
Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #42 - 05/27/05 at 07:36:05

Dingo_Jones wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Hello all.
At 24, it looks like I'm a young'n here, but hey, we all have Savages right?
I'm a single guy and I live on Vashon Island in the Seattle area, a sweet little place to call home. It's accessible only by ferry, and has some of the best riding around.
I bought my '95 Savage a few months ago. It's my first bike, and I just love it. I'm racking up a little over a thousand miles a month, and starting to feel pretty comfortable and confident riding.
For work, I'm a technology support person(read: please fix my computer mr. Tech guy!!!) and webmaster for a local school district during the school year, and a sailing instructor for a junior learn-to-sail program in the summer months, it makes for a nice balance, and keeps me from getting bored.
For hobbies, I'm a rock climber and hiker, but my real passion is inline marathon racing. I usually skate in 4-6 races a year, and consider myself fairly competetive. It might not be the speed rush of a Motorcycle, but hitting 45 on a good downhill strech with nothing but 10 wheels and a few inches between you and the pavement can make for a good bit of adrenaline. Fruit-bootin isn't all bad
Wink

Anyhow, nice to meet all of you, and thanks for the great board.
-DJ

Dingo,

So, how are the confines of the island?  I mean how large is it and are there enough miles to ride that it does not get repetitive or boring?  I do not remember  much of your island...the name is familiar but I cannot recall anything else about it.  I was stationed on Whidbey Island from 84-87 and often wanted to just go for a drive and get off the island.  Anyway, it is good to hear your story.
Ride well.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #43 - 05/27/05 at 09:15:04

I'm 62, have been riding off & on all my life, usually as a passenger. Sold my bikes 15 years ago when health problems looked like I would never be able to ride again. Have 2 daughters (42 & 41)& 2 step-daughters, 6 grandkids, 2 cats & 2 longhorn cows. Outlived my dogs. Am in semi-remission from lupus ,decided to live while I could, first bought a V-Star but gave it to son-in-law & bought the Savage. Love my Savage. My husband, a non-rider, is a great guy, if I have to ride alone will offer to follow me in the pickup in case I have a problem, nix that idea. He calls my bike "garage Art" and has offered to build a frame for it when I go days without riding. Both of my daughters ride, one a 2005 Honda Shadow, the other a 2004 Savage. All my grandkids ride and one of them spent several years on the local Motocross circuit. I am a retired Real Estate Broker, my husband is a building contractor & Master carpenter/cabinetmaker.He was a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne. We live West of Weatherford, Texas on a small acreage.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #44 - 05/27/05 at 14:54:42

Max is a retired auto technology teacher, 62,USN EN2 60-64,  had motorcycles since HS. 4 hp step through Cushman, in college Honda S-65, CA 125 (twin my wife and I rode back and forth from home to college in), pair of ZA-50s. More Hondas post college, CL70, CL100, SL125 (modified for an amatuer trials bike), while in Europe a 250 Triumph in a BSA Frame and a European SL175 twin. Retirement present to myself in 98 was a Yellow 96 Savage. After 1 yr. of retirement my wife expressed a desire to retire early and asked me if I "wanted to move where I could ride more often"? Silly question so in 99 we moved from Anchorage, AK to Moses Lake, WA (that's on the dry side of the state - high irrigated desert). I help my BIL with fixing his farm equipment and drive it during harvest. Just finished cutting 750 acres of Alfalfa hay. Start baling tonight. Have had a series of farm irrigator thumpers I've fixed and sold here at "Thumper Acres". Yamaha BW200, TW200, Honda TLR200. Have a CT-110 to fix now but shop is full of another BIL's ATV, and a Kawasaki Mule that need finishing. Wife doesn't ride but encourages me to. I did most of the shopping and brought it home in saddlebags and a GIVI trunk on my Savage. Also parts runs for the farmer BIL. Been off mine over 2 months as I recover from a ruptured diverticulitis in my colon and resulting septosis and 25 day Hospital stay. Hope to see how I do over the weekend on my Savage. Battery is getting charged as we speak. Life is getting better everyday.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 05:13:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › WHO ARE WE?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.