Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Ressurecting an 87 LS650PH (Read 17 times)
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Re: Ressurecting an 87 LS650PH
Reply #60 - 05/20/05 at 11:40:06

Thanks guys, just ignore the oil bit for now, I'll have to check into it some more.

As for the other, yeah I've got the carb cleaner stuff just have to find the time. This weekend is booked, from tonight till Sunday.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/setral/87savage/
100% Stock, needs a little work and another bath
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #61 - 05/20/05 at 12:21:43

Setral wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
This weekend is booked, from tonight till Sunday.

I know how that is.  Mine too. Tongue

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #62 - 05/23/05 at 07:53:28

HAH!

I snuck in 2 hours to tear apart and clean the carb.

And guess what I found? Well the bowl had a little bit of sediment, which wasn't a huge deal but I cleaned it all up, even one of the floats was a little dirty.

As I'm taking apart the carb, I'm finding a little bit of sediment here and there. But I pulled out the main jet, and holy sh*t the thing was packed full of crap. Quite litteraly the entire jet was full of rust/sediment. Sprayed it out, cleaned it up. Put all back together. And she idles perfectly on a full choke. With no choke she almost doesn't want to idle, idles but almost sounds like she's going to die. But the most important part.... I can actually give her throttle now without her dieing!

Nothing like scaring the crap out of the children with the bike roaring to life then giving a lovely BANG!

A few more things and she'll be ready to be inspected/licensed again.

I still noticed the oil leak, where oil is getting on the bottom of the muffler clamp and then burning up. But, I haven't found out if there is still a leak or not. The problem is NOT from the spedo cable though, that entire area was cleaned before I fired her up, and running a clean white cloth across that area, picked nothing up before and after starting her for about 5 minutes.

WWW   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #63 - 05/23/05 at 10:02:52

Cool Smiley
Did you say the oil has been changed?

With no choke she almost doesn't want to idle, idles but almost sounds like she's going to die. But the most important part.... I can actually give her throttle now without her dieing!

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #64 - 05/23/05 at 12:50:08

Yep, the oil was changed a week or two ago. After doing the ATF through the sparkplug hole, letting it set a few days, then drained the entire bike. Then added new oil, replaced filter.

WWW   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #65 - 05/23/05 at 13:11:24

Suppose some ATF was still in the head cylinder, not to mention that some might have gotten by the exhaust valve when you soaked 'er and made it's way down the header. Is the oil black?
I know the tires are old, but if  they held air and the brakes work, would have to do a slow cruise around the block a few times, put on a mile or so them come home and do an overall inspect/check for obvious stuff like loose bolts.  Grin
Might inspire you to replace the old rubber, speakin of which the vacuum hose from the carb over to the petc0ck is in that catagory now.

Have you pulled the plug from the idle screw and adjusted that? I am optomistic and hope the carb will tune-up.

I hope  the "rehab" is nearly over and hope the patient is released on the open road soon. Smiley

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #66 - 05/23/05 at 13:15:14

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I know the tires are old, but if  they held air and the brakes work, would have to do a slow cruise around the block a few times, put on a mile or so them come home and do an overall inspect/check for obvious stuff like loose bolts.

For the tires, yeah the old ones are still on her, holding air for now. But I do have a new set of Dunlop 404s to put on when I get around to it.

I think I'll take the advice, air up the tires and take her out a bit. Sitting in this basement and running only 10 minutes tops standing still isn't showing me anything.

I hope the patient is fully recovered and work ready soon too, the beast (86 bronco 2) is starting to eat oil now.

WWW   IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #67 - 05/23/05 at 13:24:15

Work numbing my mind... where is the idle screw again?

WWW   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #68 - 05/25/05 at 06:23:14

Ok Setral, but last time I wandered in here I got "Truncated".
If this blows up this time it's your fault.
I am putting my helmet and leathers on prior to posting.

Here is the Bobo photo of the Idle screw:

..whew I'm still here. Tongue
But 1st you have to drill a little hole in this brass plug,  the folks at Mikuni have already center punched it fo' ya:

(Durandal's photo w/ throttle pointer, thanks)
and screw in a small sheet metal screw to make a handle, then grab the new " handle" w/ your pliers and yank the bugger out. Please DON"T drill into the adjuster screw underneath though.

Work numbing my mind... where is the idle screw again?

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #69 - 05/25/05 at 10:38:04

Okay, let's be sure this is straight here.  The idle mixture screw is the one indicated in the photo with the RED arrow.  DO NOT drill at the point indicated by the green arrow.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #70 - 05/26/05 at 07:00:39

I think when I looked at it the other day, my 87 I could see the screw already. But I didn't pay a lot of attention when I was cleaning out my carb. I'll check tonight, thanks Rob Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
lordzamize
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 05/31/05 at 07:12:08

Setral, how's it coming?  We haven't had any new information for a while now. ???

IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #72 - 06/01/05 at 10:48:34

Sorry, lol... been busy with family stuff this past week. I fired it up again last night just to be sure its still running ok.

WWW   IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #73 - 06/16/05 at 19:22:34

Holy hell, its been over two weeks since I was here last!!!

Well, I took her out onto the driveway today, got her running for about 15 minutes. The only problem is once she warmed up, all I got was whitish smoke coming from the exhaust.

The good thing to note, is even after running for 15 minutes, I didn't notice any oil dripping off of the bike, that was a problem previously. And after she warmed up the idling problem actually cleared up.

Still have to fix the turn signals and have the tires swapped, but more curious to this white smoke issue.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #74 - 06/16/05 at 20:05:31

It's been a while but if I remember correctly, white smoke is burning oil.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 14:52:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ressurecting an 87 LS650PH

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.