Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Ressurecting an 87 LS650PH (Read 17 times)
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Ressurecting an 87 LS650PH
04/13/05 at 11:52:06

I have a 87 LS650PH, that has some history to it. It originally belonged to my mother, it was bought for her as it is lower to the ground.

It was ridden for maybe 1500 miles before parked for 6 years. There it sat, with a half a tank of gas  Angry . I cleaned it up as best I could, replaced the back turn signals as they had fallen off their mounts, the tank had rusted on the inside a bit, and the mesh filter on the petcock was torn up a little. At the time, except to clean it and replace fluids, and turn signals no other funds were available.

A year after she was ressurected the first time, the bike and I took a spill in some gravel. Due to me attempting to avoid two young girls in a car, that almost jumped a stop sign as I was turning.... Which torqued the left side handle bar down, the left foot peg, the shifter peg, and put a gouge in the tank.

Yet she still ran for a few weeks, then she had to goto the shop, no longer wanting to shift. apparently a bolt broke when I dropped it, and it finally worked loose as I was sitting at a stop light.

After that was fixed, a month or so later I noticed she would no longer keep the battery charged as I drove her. I had to keep charging the battery, that was even replaced with a new one, and the problem continued. So she was parked, couldn't afford repairs and couldn't stand driving with the handlebar bent like it was anymore.

And now, almost 8 years later, I'm planning on bringing her back to life.

I'm rather new to researching what parts fit what years, etc. So I have a few questions.

1) Is a stock tank interchangable on all years 86-2004?
2) Is the mesh filter on the petcock a big enough worry I should replace the entire unit, or just put in an in-line filter?
3) Is a stock pullback handlebar interchangable on all years?
4) With the draining the battery, should I be looking at the wiring or the stator first? Or something else?
5) Any things specifically I should look out for, for a bike that has been sitting this long?

I've already posted some pictures of her, she's sitting in my basement, with a few years of dust, and another one of the turn signals coming off again.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/setral/87savage/

100% Stock, needs a little work and another bath
WWW   IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Re: Ressurecting an 87 LS650PH
Reply #1 - 04/13/05 at 12:01:49

darnit, that some bi#ch is dusty  Grin. Nice bike.

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #2 - 04/13/05 at 12:14:54

Setral,

My answer to your questions are:
1) I would guess they are, Savages have used the same tank from the start.
2) I would go with the in-line filter, if the mesh is trash, the in-line will certainly help.
3) yes, 1" bars from the start.
4) I'd check the wiring, then the stator, then the regulator.
5) I'd take a close look at the tires, maybe the rubber is not in good condition, even if the grooves are deep; brakes are also to be checked, as well as fluids, spark plug and filters.

If you do this, and your engine is fine, it should fire up at first button push.

Welcome aboard and happy riding!!!!!  Grin

RW

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 04/13/05 at 12:23:49

Any LS tank is a direct swap. Test the wiring, then the stator, then the voltage regulator (get the book for it, I can't walk you thru the tests). Put new tires, tubes, and rim strips on it. Wire in a set of aftermarket rear turn signals, the stockers are alright, but the aftermarket look better. Any non-dimpled HD handlebar will fit, if you decide not to use the stock style buckhorns. New plug, new battery, new oil and filter. Change the fork oil for fresh stuff, two weights heavier than stock really improves the handling (no front end dive under braking). Run about 4 ounces of ATF into the cylinder via the spark plug hole, let it sit 2 or 3 days, and then change the oil. Will free the rings, if they have corroded they can stick to the cylinder liner and break when you hit the starter.

Add fresh gas and cross your fingers... should fire right off once the above steps are taken care of. Did the above to a Honda that sat from 1976 to 2000, it fired off on the 3rd kick.

Put in the time to ressurect it properly, and the bike won't let you down.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #4 - 04/13/05 at 12:55:55

LOL.. yes Nightrain.. at least 4 years if not more of dust, though it was moved within the past year to the basement it sits in right now.

Red_Wine and WD, thank you both for all the information. Right now, I'm holding off on everything until I get a tank, which hopefully I'll have within the next two weeks.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 04/13/05 at 13:00:21

Setral wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
LOL.. yes Nightrain.. at least 4 years if not more of dust, though it was moved within the past year to the basement it sits in right now.

Red_Wine and WD, thank you both for all the information. Right now, I'm holding off on everything until I get a tank, which hopefully I'll have within the next two weeks.

i got some pull backs. cheep

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 04/13/05 at 17:52:35

Looks like you bent the bolt that holds the handlebar riser instead of the handlebar. I did the same thing when I dropped my Savage last year, thought the handle bar was bent but when It was taken apart all that was needed was a new bolt. I like your custom dust paint job, must of taken years Wink. Don't trust the rubber, tires get hard and slippery when they sit for years. Luck on you project. Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #7 - 04/13/05 at 18:44:51

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Looks like you bent the bolt that holds the handlebar riser instead of the handlebar. I did the same thing when I dropped my Savage last year, thought the handle bar was bent but when It was taken apart all that was needed was a new bolt. I like your custom dust paint job, must of taken years Wink. Don't trust the rubber, tires get hard and slippery when they sit for years. Luck on you project. Ed L.

Thanks Ed_L, you are right about the riser bolt being bent, it is bent and the riser is bent back/up about 1/4" of an inch, but I know the bar itself is bent as well. Definately going to be getting new tires, since to be honest the tires on it are the originals from 18 years ago.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 04/13/05 at 22:58:14

If you can't find an LS tank, a VN500 Kawasaki tank is supposed to fit beautifully. That is per Peter the Blacksmith on another Savage forum, and he knows his stuff with the Savage. As a bonus, the VN tank holds more fuel than the LS tank. Sometimes they are easier to get hold of as well.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #9 - 04/14/05 at 06:34:24

Hi Setral,

I agree with other people's advice...
just post a few pics after the bike is resurrected, we all LOVE to look pics of other people's rides (mine are still in the camera's film)  Grin

RW

IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #10 - 04/14/05 at 07:28:16

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Run about 4 ounces of ATF into the cylinder via the spark plug hole, let it sit 2 or 3 days, and then change the oil.

I just re-read it all, and pardon me but I feel a little stupid 4 ounces of ATF? I keep thinking AntiFreeze.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #11 - 04/14/05 at 08:07:22

ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid? Am I right?
WD, you psted awhile back about adding 2-stroke oil to the gas every coupla tanks? How much and would anything else do?
Thanks!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #12 - 04/15/05 at 06:45:17

Even though I don't have the tank in my posession yet, I went ahead and started taking her apart.

And I found a pleasant surprise at the same time a minor annoyance.

The pleasant surprise is, I'm almost positive I have the entire original tool kit, plus a mini-maglight.

The annoyance, I found I'm missing two bolts (or a bolt and a screw). One of the main seat bolts is missing, and the top screw/bolt on the battery box, that holds the plate to hold the battery in the box (also which the toolkit rests on) is missing.

And I read the odometer..... "3,635.1"

WWW   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #13 - 04/15/05 at 07:25:58

If this is the only thing the bike is missing- You are very lucky. And only 3000 mi on the bike is absolutely nothing if the bike has been maintained half way decently.
While You are doing all the repairs, don't forget to change the rubber head  plug. If You don't do it now, You will have to do it latter- 100% guaranteed.
 About the gas tanks- they are direct swap, but there is a slight diff. in the opening for the speedo, so if You want to have 100% direct swap either stay with a  "pre 1995"  tank, either swap the tank with the speedo.
One more thing- the tires will have to be replaced - 90% sure and not because of the wear, but because of the sitting . Almost sure there wil be a "hop"- flat spot and You will be not happy to ride a grasshopper.
Have all the fun You can.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #14 - 04/15/05 at 07:50:40

Yep, tires are being swapped I've already commited to it. For the rubber head plug, I read about that, and I'm actually starting a checklist so I don't forget anything.

Another thing I forgot to mention, the petcock is plugged, I'm going to look into it tonight. No matter what position, nothing will flow through it.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 20:44:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ressurecting an 87 LS650PH

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.