Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1533 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #30 - 12/16/23 at 14:18:33

Photo of a couple big pieces of the clutch cover gasket.  It did not come out cleanly and neatly in one piece.  It seems to be made of plastic or neoprene.  It was pretty brittle, seemed "toasty", and I had to gently scrape a few areas where I believe it was tacked into place with RTV.  Specifically around the bolts at the bottom of the cover and around the guide dowels.

My understanding is that the gasket shouldn't need RTV (it could cause an uneven seal of the mating surfaces), but I've read that some people use it (making it non-reusable and requiring extra clean-up).  

This seems like a hybrid approach of putting a dab in the areas around the bottom cover bolts and guide dowels.

I'll ask about this again later when it's time to install the gasket and cover.  I've been known to use a thin butter smooth smear of grease on gaskets to lightly tack it in place.

Clutch_Cover_Gasket.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #31 - 12/16/23 at 14:23:50

Probably a meaningless measurement, but the entire clutch fiber and plate stack is 26.9mm when everything is still buttoned up and packed together.

Clutch_Pack_MM.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #32 - 12/16/23 at 14:40:17

Close up.  How lazy or newbie scared am I if I don't want to completely take apart the clutch and clean and measure all the friction discs?  

They are likely glazed from gas getting in the crankcase. My previous Savage had short-term clutch slippage after gas got in the crankcase.  It resolved itself with a few rides and some fresh Rotella T4 got to working around in there.

I just want to remove the release plate and swap in the Barnett clutch springs.   Shocked   Roll Eyes

Clutch_Basket.jpeg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 12/16/23 at 17:42:29

ThumperPaul wrote on 12/16/23 at 12:55:24:
What is this oily thingy in the side of the clutch cover.  It appears to have some decayed RTV around the edge.  What should I think about this and the RTV?  Or is that some kind of gasket/o-ring I need to replace?

Oil level window and viewing plate.
Mine was looking just as sketchy so I pulled it out and redid it.
no gasket or o-ring, just rtv.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 12/16/23 at 17:46:29

ThumperPaul wrote on 12/16/23 at 12:47:43:
Cam Chain Tensioner at 18mm extended.  Time for a Verslavy CCT 2.0 installed at Hole #2.  Confirmation of Hole #2 requested.  Hole #1 would be a waste of time and effort, and risky.

2nd hole acceptable.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 12/16/23 at 17:48:44

verslagen1 wrote on 12/16/23 at 17:42:29:
ThumperPaul wrote on 12/16/23 at 12:55:24:
What is this oily thingy in the side of the clutch cover.  It appears to have some decayed RTV around the edge.  What should I think about this and the RTV?  Or is that some kind of gasket/o-ring I need to replace?

Oil level window and viewing plate.
Mine was looking just as sketchy so I pulled it out and redid it.
no gasket or o-ring, just rtv.

Yep...same for my bike when it only had 1,200 miles on it.  I removed the loose white sealant, cleaned the area to remove the oil, then applied Suzukibond RTV.

I would use Simple Green or Purple Power or a similar degreaser to clean the oi window and remove the oil prior to applying the RTV.  I would not spray the area with Brake Clean or acetone - I don't know if the window is glass or plastic.....acetone could damage plastic.

« Last Edit: 12/17/23 at 01:51:30 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 12/16/23 at 17:53:23

Personally, I would put a barnette clutch pack in there since you're already in -- the clutch is a wear item, and I feel justified in replacing it instead of rehabbing the old plates but I know that may be an unpopular opinion.

The clutch really isn't as intimidating as it seems -- I've been in there a fair amount of times over the last year due to a pretty strange issue with the hub and face plate being worn.

In any event -- if you do decide to just do the springs, everything can stay in, you don't even need to remove the clutch nut (although you may want to check the torque just because you'll be looking at it.) You just pull the 4 bolts on the pressure plate and pop the new springs in -- just be careful with those bolts, they take less than 10 ft lbs off the top of my head and I have snapped one in the past being foolish.

If you do decide to do the clutch, be very mindful of that dowel pin behind the basket that drives the oil pump gear. A recent YouTuber actually made a video about this that explains it: https://youtu.be/ZRYXRQUP9pg?si=XiGkqPBkKQhxhtcC

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #37 - 12/16/23 at 19:33:24

Thanks guys.  Dave, I was goofing when I said oily thing!  It is sketchy with the rtv looking like a broken rubber band.  Does it push in from the outside or vise versa?  Looks like it needs a refresher, but hey it ain’t leakin’!

SurvivingPhilly - you make a good point about just replacing friction discs and plates instead of cleaning.  I’ll think about it.  You’re making me think I should do something and not just be lazy and scared.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 12/16/23 at 20:44:55

ThumperPaul wrote on 12/16/23 at 19:33:24:
Thanks guys.  Dave, I was goofing when I said oily thing!  It is sketchy with the rtv looking like a broken rubber band.  Does it push in from the outside or vise versa?  Looks like it needs a refresher, but hey it ain’t leakin’!

if it aint broke, don't fix it.

push on it from the outside, if it don't move, it might not leak.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #39 - 12/17/23 at 00:09:49

Greetings Paul.  Thanks for the update and the cool pics.  Progress.

I want to start by saying that IMO you do not have your engine at TDC.  Your pictures in replies 24 thru 26 show the reference mark for the cam drive sprocket at the 1 o’clock position.  When the crank is positioned at TDC, the drive sprocket reference should be at the bottom (6 o’clock position).

As I recall, you have never had this bike running.  If your timing marks on the alternator rotor indicate TDC, but the cam drive sprocket reference indicates close to BDC, something is wrong.  Either you have made a mistake identifying the timing marks on the alternator rotor, or possibly the drive key for the alternator rotor is missing or sheared.  If the drive key is sheared, it would explain why your engine didn’t run.

Can you double check your timing marks.  Take a picture so we can see what you have.  Illuminate the area with a flashlight and snap a pic.

See how the dimple for the cam drive sprocket reference is at 6 o’clock when the crank is at the TDC position.

Timing_Mark_6_oclock__TDC.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #40 - 12/17/23 at 00:10:34

There are several openings in the bottom of your primary case.  You want to put some cleanliness barriers over those openings, so you don’t drop anything into the crankcase.  Don’t be a babooz like me and forget to take the paper towels back out when you are finished.  Sometimes I get a bit loopy

Cleanliness.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 12/17/23 at 00:11:26

Regarding your clutch cover gasket, you obviously need a new one.  I suggest you buy the OEM gasket.  It is a steel gasket with some sort of polymer coating.  It’s a great gasket, and it can be used over & over.  It’s well worth the OEM price tag.  Never mind all that gooing things up with gasket dressing.

IMG_2104_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #42 - 12/17/23 at 00:12:18

This is a picture of the OEM gasket suspended by a magnet.  That’s how I know it’s steel.  I have no idea what the black coating is, but it holds up very well.

Gasket_is_Magnetic_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #43 - 12/17/23 at 00:12:53

The sealing surface for your oil filter cover O-ring looks like it might be pitted.  I suggest you clean up that surface with a mild abrasive (like a green Skotchbrite pad) and inspect it for pits.  You also want to do the same for the o-ring groove in the cover.  Any serious defects can probably be repaired with epoxy.

Oil_Filter_Cvr_Sealing_Surface.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #44 - 12/17/23 at 00:13:25

You might as well remove the cotter pin (red arrow) in the release arm shaft and pull the release arm out of the clutch cover.  Pay close attention to how the return spring (yellow arrow) is oriented.  Take a bunch of pictures so you will know how it goes when you reinstall the shaft.  Note that there is a thrust shim (green arrow) below the release cam.  Don’t lose it.

Release_Shaft_Cotter_Pin__Shim.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 17:38:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.