Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1533 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #405 - 01/11/24 at 12:28:23

ThumperPaul wrote on 01/11/24 at 12:17:39:
Not happy or having fun….

...but you are learning, and these types of annoyances are the best teachers. Keep at it, you're almost at the finish line.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #406 - 01/11/24 at 13:45:52

Thanks Gary.  I'm about to find out about the oil pump gear orientation.
About to remove the clutch nut and get back there and see what I did.

« Last Edit: 01/11/24 at 17:10:57 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #407 - 01/11/24 at 16:57:37

Dave was right.  I installed the oil pump gear wrong.  Here's a photo of what I found.  I can't believe I did that.  Doh!

Oil_Pump_Gear_Wrong.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #408 - 01/11/24 at 16:59:16

And the correct orientation of the gear.  I got everything put back together and the engine turns freely as it should.

OIl_Pump_Gear_Correct.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #409 - 01/11/24 at 17:01:21

Paul....You and I are now "Blood Brothers"! Cheesy

I did that once....however in my case I discovered it before I put the clutch cover back on!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #410 - 01/11/24 at 17:08:43

The wrong orientation did leave an abrasion, but the gears all looked good.  This obviously could have been much worse.  Glad I listened to Dave and Gary about bumping the starter a little bit without the plug (or gas) installed to try to move some oil around.  Ignition probably would have tore it up in there.

Tomorrow I'll finish up and cross fingers for a successful outcome!  

Thanks again!!

Gear_Abrasion.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #411 - 01/11/24 at 17:13:36

I'll take it, Blood Brother!!  Glad I caught it when I did -- before I put fire in the hole!  Thanks again, Dave!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #412 - 01/11/24 at 18:05:07

Seeing how much effort you all put into getting this done is pretty cool.  Well, almost done, but "you got this!"

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #413 - 01/12/24 at 14:14:29

Woody started right up with the first 2 second push of the starter button using the choke.  I kept the idle up around 2,200 RPM for about 10 minutes while sitting on the bike to keep upright.  Adjusted the idle to about 1,100 RPM.  

Put on my jacket, helmet, and gloves and took a short ride in the neighborhood.  The clutch is great after the clean up and Barnett springs!  New front brakes worked great.  Performance was good in the mid-range.  Good solid pull!  No missing, backfire/afterburn, or smoking exhaust.  I didn't try any WOT to test the installation of a 200 main jet the Mikuni VM36 carb.  Save that for another day.

Got home after after about a 10 minute ride and tweaked the A/F mix and idle a bit.

It has a little rocket arm/valve tick.  I set the valve lash clearance gap on the wide side of specification between .004-.005 inch.  I'd rather have a little ticking noise than have valves that aren't closing completely.

Overall, I'm really pleased.  I did see a little smoke from up top after the ride and the motor was warmed up.  I'm hoping that's just some residual oil that I didn't get cleaned up.  I looked around the head cover as best I could and I don't see oil seeping out anywhere.  No leaking around the head gasket for sure (that looks good).

Here's a short video of the bike idling.  I had to make this and share after all the work everyone put into this ordeal!!  Special thanks to DragBikeMike for guiding me through this step-by-step!  Hope you still have some hair left, Mike!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/a_DTqdYWF-k?feature=share

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #414 - 01/12/24 at 17:11:18

Woo Hoo!  Smiley

Good Job!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #415 - 01/12/24 at 19:06:15

And thanks for all your help too, Dave!!  

Hoping the smoke up top is just some residual oil burning off.  And I forgot to put some JBWeld on the stupid drilled out hole for the center head cover bolt that comes out by the spark plug (that's kinda where I think I see smoke coming from).  Maybe...hard to tell really...I had the fan running in the garage.  I need to pull the tank and glory covers and take a look.  I want to recheck and tighten up the valve lash clearance a smidge too.  I want to get a few more miles on it before I change anything though.  Give it a chance for everything to settle in through a few heat cycles.   For today, I'm happy though!!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #416 - 01/13/24 at 09:10:21

Runs good, looks good.  My compliments on a job well done.  Glad you stuck with it.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #417 - 01/13/24 at 12:57:49

Thank you for all your help and patience, Mike!!  And the encouraging words to keep me going!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #418 - 01/14/24 at 02:20:07

That bolt hole with the open bottom - I am glad DragBikeMike pointed that out.....I never paid attention to that before.

I don't believe I have ever had an engine leak there - but I can see how it would happen.  There are an awful lot of Savage engines with a layer of oil on that part of the head.

I just put together an engine (on the bench), and I tried dropping JB weld down that hole with a thin wooden Qtip stem.  It was not successful as it was just like that old game "operation" and I kept hitting the sides of the hole and getting the JBweld on the threads and not at the bottom of the hole.  I cleaned of the threads and chose to apply a small amount of sealer around the hole and a dab inside the threads.  (I use Hondabond4 on silver head covers as it blends in with the engine color better than black).

IMG_2871.JPG

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #419 - 01/14/24 at 05:58:37

Thanks Dave.  I took another slightly longer ride yesterday.  No smoke, no leak.  I suspect I dribbled some oil when I fed some oil under the cam and up top through the valve inspection covers.  Feeling relieved I sealed the head cover properly.

I do still have some dripping oil on the alternator side by the front pulley.  I replaced the oil ring on the starter before all this got started (it was a problem when I bought the bike). Och sent me a few o-rings of different sizes.  The fatter medium sized one he sent, which worked for him after tapping the starter in with a hammer, wouldn’t allow me to get the starter shoved in and I didn’t want to use a hammer.  I installed an o-ring that was the next best fit, but I think it’s still leaking a little.  They want $9 plus shipping for the OEM o-ring!  Looks like I need to cough up the money and buy it.  It has a 34.7mm ID and it’s 2.1mm fat.  Try finding that on the internet or your local hardware store!  I played around with a couple standard SAE sizes, but I didn’t like how those fit or again, I couldn’t shove the starter in.  You can find 34.7mm ID that are 3.5mm thick, but that 1.4mm difference makes a difference.  Taking a hammer to is tempting, but I’m not lucky or brave enough to try it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 16:23:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.