Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1533 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #15 - 12/15/23 at 18:24:03

Once you have it at TDC compression, verify that there is play in your rocker arms.  You should be able to jiggle them up & down a bit.  Since the clearance is tight, I check them by pushing the rocker arms toward the right side of the engine.  They have wave-washers on their right side so they can be moved quite a bit. When you push on them, they should move a little to the right, and when you release them they should spring back toward the left.

Since you have been using the valve adjusters to jack open valves, you might even want to back off each adjuster a few turns to ensure everything is loose.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 12/15/23 at 18:25:12

Once you have positioned the engine at TDC compression, drain the oil.  If your filter is new, you can probably leave it as-is, but if it is an old dirty filter, might as well take it out now.

To prepare for clutch cover removal, remove the two 6mm bolts that secure your rear brake cable to the frame.  Leave the brake cable attached to the brake pedal.  Take off your heat shield and right-side foot rest assembly, and swing the whole mess under the frame.  Just let it rest on the floor.

The two 6mm bolts are located here.

Brake_Cable_Bolts.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 12/15/23 at 18:26:20

Now there should be nothing to interfere with clutch cover removal.  You do not need to introduce a bunch of slack in the clutch cable.  Just screw in the adjuster at your handlebar lever perch.  That will be sufficient.  Leave the jam nuts on your engine block alone.  When you loosen the fasteners that secure your clutch cover to the engine, you will have more than enough play in the release mechanism to unhook your clutch cable from the lever on the clutch cover.

See how the cable hooks into the little bracket on the lever arm.  You have to bend the tab back, and then you will be able to slip the cable out of the keyhole slot.  You shouldn’t need to mess with the jam nuts.

Unhook_Cable.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 12/15/23 at 18:27:06

There are 12 bolts that secure your clutch cover to the crankcase.  Three of those bolts have sealing washers.  Two of the bolts have dowels incorporated to align the cover.  Those two bolts are longer.  You need to keep track of these fasteners.  Bag & tag them after removal.

Position a drip pan under the clutch cover.  Even though you have drained the oil, there is still a lot of residual oil left in the primary case.  Loosen all the bolts about three turns, then lift up on the clutch release lever and unhook the clutch cable.  Let the oil dribble out of the case for a while.  When the waterfall subsides, remove all the bolts along with the clutch cover.

The bolts with the sealing washers are circled in yellow, the longer bolts are circled in green.

Clutch_Cvr_Bolts.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 12/15/23 at 18:27:40

Remove your clutch cover and set it aside.  Best store it in a plastic bag to keep it clean.  Take some pictures of your clutch, clutch release mechanism, cam chain tensioner, etc.  Then post the pictures so we can see how things look in there.

Your preparation for head cover removal is excellent.  You have the sketch all set to store your fasteners.  Don’t worry too much if those fasteners get mixed up.  The sketch shows you the exact length of each fastener, and whether or not it has a sealing washer.  The fasteners are measured from the underside of the hex head to the end of the threads.  This particular bolt is identified as L70 on the sketch.  Note that it is 70mm long.

Measuring_Bolt_Length.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 12/15/23 at 18:29:32

You have already removed L65, C20, and the two C25s (all circled in yellow).  Those fasteners secure the chrome beauty covers.  While C20 and the two C25s aren’t too important, L65 + nut also serves to hold the head cover down.  If you decide to ditch the useless chrome beauty covers, you will need a replacement bolt to take the place of L65.  That’s pretty straight forward.

You have also removed the four L20s (circled in yellow) that secure your valve covers to the head cover.  These 20mm bolts are easy to mix up with L25.  Try not to mix these fasteners up.  The L25 bolts are subjected to load and need the extra 5mm of thread engagement.

Do not remove S30 or L16 (crossed out in red).  S30 secures your exhaust rocker arm shaft.  Leave it alone.  L16 secures your decompression shaft.  Leave that alone also.

Pay close attention to the two fasteners that reside within the confines of the engine.  Those would be L25 (circled in green).  They are located within the engine directly under the valve covers.  They are easy to miss.  Make sure you remove them before you attempt to lift the head cover.  Also take steps to prevent mixing them up with L20 as previously noted.

You probably already know that L70 can’t be removed from the head cover when the engine is still in the frame.  You have to leave it in the head cover while you remove the head cover, and it must be installed into the head cover before you reinstall the head cover.  You can’t get that fastener in or out with the engine in the frame.

Head_Cvt_Bolts_Status.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 12/15/23 at 18:30:50

So, as I see it, you have 13 fasteners that still must be removed from the head cover.  Take out the twelve that can be fully removed, and completely unscrew L70 in preparation for head cover removal.  Leave the head cover in place.  Take a few pictures of the head cover to show us how things look.  Post those pics along with any comments or questions, and we can forge ahead from there.  Once we can see that you have the head cover ready for removal, we can provide guidance on how to break it loose and get it off the engine.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - 12/15/23 at 18:49:16

Thank you, Mike!  This is excellent detail!!  I will read and refer to this multiple times!

I drained the oil today.  I should still be okay to turn the motor to find TDC without worry, right?!  I don’t want to dry hump it too much I know!

Thanks for pointing out loosening the nuts and valve adjusters.  I was meaning to ask about that.

The L70 bolt is way longer than I would have thought!  Wow!

The photos and mark ups are incredibly helpful to me!  Thank you!! I’m very much a visual and hands on person.  Really helpful!!

« Last Edit: 12/16/23 at 06:29:37 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #23 - 12/16/23 at 12:43:40

Today's surgery is removal of the clutch cover and basic inspection.

Clutch_Cover_Bolts_Removed_Exterior_View.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #24 - 12/16/23 at 12:44:46

Broad Interior View with Clutch Cover Removed.

Clutch_Cover_Removed_Broad_Interior_View.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #25 - 12/16/23 at 12:47:43

Cam Chain Tensioner at 18mm extended.  Time for a Verslavy CCT 2.0 installed at Hole #2.  Confirmation of Hole #2 requested.  Hole #1 would be a waste of time and effort, and risky.

CCT_at_18mm.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #26 - 12/16/23 at 12:50:10

Cam Chain Tensioner looking like it ate a banana and getting ready to launch a missile.  It does not look trustworthy for more than another 3-4K miles with some luck.  Yeah/Nay?

CCT_eating_a_Banana_001.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #27 - 12/16/23 at 12:55:24

What is this oily thingy in the side of the clutch cover.  It appears to have some decayed RTV around the edge.  What should I think about this and the RTV?  Or is that some kind of gasket/o-ring I need to replace?

Oily_Thingy_w-RTV_Huh.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #28 - 12/16/23 at 12:59:56

Pushrod appears to be the 45.5mm length.  I captured 45.4mm in the photo because it was slipping off the very tip as I was trying to hold it and take a picture.

Clutch_Pushrod_45_5.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #29 - 12/16/23 at 13:02:18

Clutch Release Cam with a Sneeze release cam next to it for eyeballing comparison purposes.

Clutch_Release_Cam_with_Sneezy2.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 19:18:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.