Decomp actuator shaft (Read 89 times)
Savard 05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Decomp actuator shaft
01/08/24 at 15:12:25

Hey can't find any answers versy helped me last weekend with a question but now I got the shaft; bolt with spring tension to lever cable well anyway no matter how I but it in and tighten down L16 bolt in valve cover it allows shaft to slide in and out about 1/4 inch it does stop it from coming out more than that but is this normal? Or should the shaft be tight and only rotate to hit rocker arm  for decompression? Any info much appreciated I've had it in and out several times very aggravating lol thanks all.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Decomp actuator shaft
Reply #1 - 01/08/24 at 18:01:11

no, it shouldn't slide around at all.
maybe you got the wrong bolt?

WWW   IP Logged
Savard 05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #2 - 01/09/24 at 03:47:49

I don't think it's wrong bolt because L16 refers to length and it's short one with gasket on it ? Any other thoughts as to why it won't seat fully ?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 01/09/24 at 05:05:40

Remove the exhaust side valve inspection cover.  See this post about how the actuator rod should be positioned at TDC.  Make sure your rod is oriented correctly so the flat side is facing the rocker arm.  If your rocker arm and valve clearance is super loose, the actuator rod may be hitting the side of the rocker arm instead of the flat side almost resting above it.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1169356966

IP Logged
Savard 05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #4 - 01/10/24 at 03:47:37

I've checked everything and the shaft flats sit over the rocker arm and it hits when fully seated and when it's backed out a bit. I've adjusted to 3 mm on the decomp solenoid. I'm thinking either hardware is out of spec or maybe heat up the oil seal to see if the shaft of bolt will go in further. I don't see any harm leaving it like is. I noticed that the shaft has a boss flange should that sit in oil seal or just up against my only worry is maybe some oil leaking out of the seal. I might try new hardware. Anyway thanks for your replies!!!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/11/24 at 02:59:20

It sounds to me like you have the wrong bolt in the space where the decompression shaft is located.

The bolt has a bit of a taper on the tip, and a special marking on the head of the bolt.

Where in Ohio are you and the bike?

Decombolt.PNG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Savard 05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #6 - 01/11/24 at 22:51:48

Yea I've looked in manual and the c markings on head of bolt match it has gasket on it either shaft or bolt is worn is my only guess I'm in heath Ohio. My only worry is a oil leak from the shaft not sealing to the oil seal tight enough.ive tried a different M6 bolt but same slop in it just a hair or lateral movement.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 01/12/24 at 05:07:36

Is the spring on the actuator rod captured correctly on the lever (grabbing over the top) and against the head cover under the “spring catch” (raised lip)?  It’s a bit of a 3-handed wrestling match to get it situated in there right.  I fought with mine about 30 minutes the other day.

IP Logged
Savard 05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #8 - 01/12/24 at 22:00:45

The spring is in the catch under lip on the head cover and hook is on plate / bolt contraption but it does seem to skew when I push it in maybe not allowing bolt to be flush up against the seal I tried pulling spring back when pushing it in tbut does angle itself when tightened

IP Logged
Savard 05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #9 - 01/12/24 at 22:05:35

Does your spring sit tight up against seal when in position?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 01/13/24 at 05:36:58

Yes, see attached photo of mine.  This is before I got the spring captured correctly under the catch lip on the head cover.  I had to correct this recently myself - the whole contraption is a pain to get situated right.  Also Note: my cable is a little  limp even when the adjustment is correct (stretched from use).

Does your decomp work and open the exhaust valve?

I don't think a leak at the seal is a big concern as long as the seal is in place.  With the rod running through it, oil doesn't really doesn't have a place to escape (and there's not a ton of oil getting up in that area either).

I'd be more concerned with the actual function of the decomp itself if the actuator rod is sticking out.  Does the lever align with the cable so that the cable is directly "above" at 90 degrees - or does the cable have to make a sideways angle?  It should be aligned squarely.

Decomp_Assembly.jpeg
  IP Logged
Savard 05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #11 - 01/14/24 at 03:48:52

Ok might be getting somewhere my cable bracket is angled your saying it needs to be square straight I will try that might be the issue thought it was that way when I took it off. I will report back if that works thanks for the pic btw.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #12 - 01/14/24 at 05:10:50

I’m saying the cable should not have to reach outwards where it connects to the lever (it should be directly above it going straight down).  The bracket is angled (it’s really the only way the bracket can attach that makes sense).

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 01/14/24 at 05:15:34

Another photo view from a fellow forum member.

IMG_3494.png
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 01/14/24 at 05:21:58

Remove the exhaust valve inspection cover.  With the motor at TDC, this is how the “half moon” flat should be situated above the rocker arm when the decomp solenoid is set at 4mm on its shaft.  It has about 2-3mm of clearance above the rocker arm.

If your actuator rod isn’t going in all the way, that half moon flat won’t be sitting above the rocker arm where it needs to be.  If the half moon is situated like this, and you still have extra space on the actuator rod where the spring goes, then somehow the bike got a wrong actuator rod installed (too long, perhaps from another model bike).

IMG_3495.png
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 15:44:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decomp actuator shaft

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.