I like the look of it, very simple and rough. Like the owner, really. Cheesy

luggage_rack_2024_7.JPG
  IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: advchopper build
Reply #46 - 01/03/24 at 02:21:35

the rearmost U piece goes along the two frames on the sides and are welded together with 3-4 passes of the MIG. The pipes are joined on a 10cm length. I hope that gives it enough strength.

The reason i'm posting all those pictures is not showing off... I never fabricated anything that needs to take some dynamic loads and frankly, I have no idea how this would hold up to vibrations and bumps etc under some 25kg load.
I read too many blogs about luggage racks breaking up, and on the other hand i rear of a guy who made one of copper tubing for heating systems, filled with epoxy I believe, and toured Africa with it.

so I someone can tell me if it looks sturdy enough that would be great!

The whole thing is mounted on 3 points:
- top of the shocks
- center of the U frame that's the bike's rear now.

I'm still considering adding it an extra tube from those sticking out bolts where the fender is mounted to the U-frame. that could give some exra support to the bottom of the frames on the side. I'm not sure it's needed though. Tell me your opinion please!

luggage_rack_2024_8.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 01/03/24 at 02:40:41

Nice job - looks great.

The strength of the rack looks fine - the whole affair is being supported by the "U" shaped frame rail behind the seat.....it is holding the fender, tail light and turn signals, and rack.  If anything fails it will likely be that bar.

If you could add horizontal supports that went forward at the bottom of the rack and mounted low.....that would add considerable strength.  There really aren't any convenient bolts up there....you might have to fabricate a bar that goes across the bike just above the swing arm.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 01/03/24 at 03:56:02

Absolutely Dave.
The U frame is bolted on the shocks top mount and onto the frame where the original rear fender used to bolt to.  If those welds brake or if the U-bar bends and buckles it's done for. I'm sure I'd not want to have a decently sized wife sitting behind me! Cheesy
The idea of adding some horizontal towards the front is great! I'll take a look at that! Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 01/03/24 at 04:56:40

Factory racks use the passenger peg mounts on bikes when the footpegs are attached to the frame - unfortunately on the Savage the footpegs on the swing arm won't allow them to be used.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #50 - 01/03/24 at 14:45:15

That’s a serious lookin rack.

Regarding your tire rub, you never want suspension set up such that a tire can rub.  The shocks have hard stops.  Those stops should limit travel so that the rear tire can never hit the fender.  If your tire can rub on the fender, you need to fix the problem.  Increasing preload on the springs may reduce the rub, but it doesn’t prevent the rub under all possible scenarios.

You need to fix the problem.  New stops to limit travel, different rear shocks that limit travel, a smaller diameter wheel/tire, raise the fender, etc.  The suspension system must limit travel so the tire can never rub.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 01/05/24 at 05:09:15

Fair enough Mike. Would a pair of longer Marauder shocks solve the problem? (I seem to recall i read it somewhere on the forum that VZ800, Marauder(???) shocks can be installed and they are a bit taller. Does it also mean that they stop higher up (not longer travel, just longer shock)

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 01/08/24 at 02:01:50

DragBikeMike, I think i can limit the travel by new stops in the short time i still have left. Is it something i can do with the usual tools and a big vice? I foud some threads about pulling apart the shocks so that's not and issue, question is, can it be done with human muscle or will the spring put me through the garage wall?
(I even have a smallish spring compressor for cars somewhere but I doubt it will work here... can try though)

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #53 - 01/08/24 at 02:06:07

Dave, I had that Rear U frame tested by the wife sitting on it. Let's be very polite with a healthy dose of self preservation and say only that it's north of 50kgs. Cheesy It did not buckle.

What do you guys think? Can i compare 50kg static load to 15kg dynamic? (like 15kg of stuff strapped on and hitting a speedbump at 30km/h?)

I checked how  it would look adding that bar to the engine mount bolts up front... Ech, I think I'll take my chances with the existing rack. I did not like the idea of that bar going forward.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #54 - 01/08/24 at 09:38:35

"Would a pair of longer Marauder shocks solve the problem?  Does it also mean that they stop higher up (not longer travel, just longer shock)?"

I'm not sure.  You need to know what the eye-to-eye distance is when the shock is fully compressed and against the stop.  Maybe Verslagen can comment on that.  The longer shock may or may not have more travel, and the eye-to-eye distance when fully compressed may of may not be greater.  You need more eye-to-eye distance when the shock is fully compressed.

FYI, I routinely put my rear shocks (Progressive 11.5") on the stops just riding by myself with no luggage.  I've tried heavier springs (90/130 & 115/155) and I still run the thing onto the stops when I hit a pothole or moderate irregularity.  I'm about 200 lbs with riding gear.

If you could get the shocks apart and remove the upper eyelet, you could possibly put spacers between the rubber stop and the upper eyelet.  I'm sure that's easier said than done.  This is the stop in question.

Stop_Travel.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #55 - 01/08/24 at 09:40:17

The progressive shocks have a removable spring retainer.  It has a slot cut in the retainer so that you can slip the retainer out once the spring has been safely compressed with a special tool.

Spring_Retainer_Progressive.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #56 - 01/08/24 at 09:42:05

The stock shocks have a one-piece spring retainer and eyelet.  I have no idea how to get the thing off, and I certainly don't know any way to do it safely.

Spring_Retainer_Stock.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #57 - 01/08/24 at 09:46:51

This is the Progressive tool for compressing the spring.  It's pretty beefy.  Spring removal is easy with this tool, but it's not gonna work on a stock shock.  On a stock shock, even if you get the spring compressed, I don't see any reasonable way to get the eyelet and retainer assembly off the shaft.  Maybe there's some guidance on YouTube.

Spring_Compressor_Rear_Shock.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #58 - 01/08/24 at 09:48:17

The retainer on the Progressive shock just slips out from under the eyelet once the spring has been compressed.

Spring_Retainer_Removal_Tool.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #59 - 01/08/24 at 09:57:17

Progressive Shocks had limiters for sale when I bought my shocks 10 years ago, and currently they are hard to find.  They don't list them on their website, and most retailers don't have them in their catalogs or on their websites.

I used these on my Progressive 412 shocks to limit the travel.  They work fine.....most places are showing them sold out and you may have to search around to find a set.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pgr-30-5014

Part number 30-5013 are 1/4" spacers, number 30-5014 are 1/2".

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 23:26:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › advchopper build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.