Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
advchopper build (Read 531 times)
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: advchopper build
Reply #75 - 01/22/24 at 07:34:36

As the date for Elefantentreffen is coming up fast, I was shown this old website about winter ridings, and DIY solutions. you gotta love it! check out the muff made of a pair of wellingtons!
https://motorang.com/motorrad/winterfahrer_tips.htm
Have fun!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #76 - 01/22/24 at 18:13:03

Oh my, that's not a site for sissys!  

Shocked

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #77 - 01/23/24 at 02:54:02

I saw this tip on there site:

I always have my vision fog up when it's freezing and especially at traffic lights. This could well be the solution.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #78 - 01/23/24 at 03:26:17

ohiomoto wrote on 01/22/24 at 18:13:03:
Oh my, that's not a site for sissys!  

Shocked

right?? Cheesy Those Germans and Austrians are tough!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #79 - 01/23/24 at 03:43:04

The Savage charging system is not robust - it is believed we only have about 100 watts of electrical generating power.

When you spread that across a 35-55 watt headlight, a 3 amp tail light, a couple of 3 watt running lights in the front, and a few instrument lights, you only have 36-56 watts left over to run the ignition system and keep the battery charged.  Some members who ride the Savage on short rides between starts have discovered that the charging system cannot replenish their battery and eventually they run their battery down.  Changing to LED lights can help to provide more energy to run accessories.

If your add on accessories are power hungry - you may find that the charging system cannot keep up.......I believe you should add a voltmeter to your bike so you can monitor the condition of your battery.  There are a few USB/lighter style accessory sockets made for motorcycles that include a display showing battery voltage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #80 - 01/23/24 at 09:32:31

Tanks Dave, thats good to know.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #81 - 01/26/24 at 05:11:16

Thanks Dave, Good to know that. I think I have a tiny meter somewhere tucked away I might just take that with me. I used to convert bikes to LED even back in the day when you had to solder your own LED panels for 6V bikes. I'll throw in some LED insturment / pos lights.

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #82 - 01/26/24 at 05:33:05

Installed taller rear shocks!
There is a lot of info here about 412s and I believe Serowbot has his bike with Intruder 800 shocks...?
I must admit, 412s are available here, but for the amount of cash that is ... khm, ever so slightly over the budget. And 800cc intruder is not that frequent on the roads... 125 Intruder however is very much available, and that makes parts for it going for peanuts. Weights are not horribly dissimilar, plus I no longer have a rear seat... so... Yeah, I've done it.

Now I know why the rubber bushing has a steel pipe bushing inside! Cheesy The 14mm / 23mm-ish rubber bushing I could get from local ebay was without it, and it's an ABSOLUTE pita to mount the thing. Not to mention properly tightening the nuts. So If ever someone thought about installing it like car suspensions are installed... Better not.

The shocks are now 31cm  / 12,1" long.
Do I have to worry about something rubbing? I kept checking this very website, and adjusted belt / brake, checked that small bolt just over the lover section of the belt that was mentioned somewhere... Anything else?

And 1 issue:
Belt squeak: Adjusted it like advised here, twisting it 90 degrees (tight twist), and it still squeaks, especially under load. Seem to be worse when it's colder, wetter etc.
Never had a belt driven bike before, so is it like... normal?  Cheesy

Also my front brakes now started to squeal, but I think that's now gone after a 15km ride...

You'd think that one would be ready for a trip less then a week before it, but somehow it just never the case is it??

Thanks a lot for any advice!

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #83 - 02/08/24 at 03:16:54

Se we went for this winter ride of 1400kms to Elefantentreffen.
It was definitely worth it.

The proud moment of setting off:

P1010909.JPG
  IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #84 - 02/08/24 at 03:22:41

The ride there was colder, just over 0 Celsius, sometimes wet, mostly not. We got pretty lucky with the weather, it could have rained more, or be much colder. I could have been -2 and bone dry too, that would have been perfect.

At one point the rain thrown over the engine by the front wheel cooled it soo much down that i had to set it richer with the mixture screw so that it would idle.

We took mostly highways and 3 days, travelling only in daylight.
Bike made it pretty well! The only issue I got was that once i set it rich for the cold, when it got like 5 degrees warmer it rode awful just off idle, which happened a lot on the highway, so I kept turning that screw and never got it right again.

The new job is cleaning/rejetting the carb for a Dyna muffler, so it will be doen now properly.

And we got there!

P1010923.JPG
  IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #85 - 02/08/24 at 03:24:49

Admittedly, there was a bit of mud...
No picture of me tormenting the bike on the muddy slopes as I did not do it. Just parked in the line of hundreds of bikes before the gate and went to have a beer and perhaps something a tad stronger.

After getting home:
All covered with dried mud, oil, salt, rust:

P1010984.JPG
  IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #86 - 02/08/24 at 03:29:05

heated grips worked perfect
the salvaged free screen that I mounted with some rough pipe clamps and zip ties, worked perfect
Longer shocks from 125 intruder were fine, newer bottomed, did not feel unstable.
seat covered with a bit of dead sheep, perfect, actually, 4 days riding fixed my back. (I had a bad back just before)
E07+ wintertire never slipped

Apart of the lightswitch needing some wiggle to turn on lights and the idle mixture it was all very reliable and good. I did most of my touring on Jawas, CZs before and I'm not used to this at all! Cheesy

Very happy with the bike.
Thanks for all the info from this forum!

P1010985.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #87 - 02/08/24 at 04:30:27

Looks like fun......if you can tolerate cold and mud!

With taller shocks you can get an interference at the front/bottom of the bottom belt cover.  Some trimming is necessary to prevent it from hitting the bottom of the belt cover on the engine.

For your mixture......you might have tried pulling out the choke to the first notch rather than turning your mixture screw.  They both do the same thing and only affect the mixture at idle.....once the throttle is opened up a bit both stop having any affect.  If you ride a lot in this type of weather it may be more desirable to raise your slide needle 1 more washer.  Also just turning up the idle speed when cold may help to resolve the "temporary" affect of cold weather.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #88 - 02/09/24 at 05:15:12

Thanks Dave, I'll check out the choke. It feels like it would not hold though, the spring pulls it back at the slightest touch. I guess it's worn. It's a 1987 bike.
Also, didn't those early models had notches on the needle with a circlip?
Well, I'll find it out soon enough and there are tons of info here about jetting, adjusting the carb. A HD dyna muffler is on the way already! Cheesy

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #89 - 02/09/24 at 06:55:43

Oh one thing that i have noticed and not the first time.
I adjusted the decompressor already 3 times, and it seems to work a few times before it just does not.
On the way to Germany i really noticed the spinup sound, then decomp letting go and thumper coughing to life.
On the way home it did not do that. Fired as soon as i hit the button. As bike was mostly warm after longer-shorter stops for hot coffee on petrol stations, and battery is a bigger-than-original beast it just kicked it over and started. There was no spinup.

is that something that the decomp solenoid does before parting with thy world of suffering? OR is it just electrical connections that are in my case 35years old and maybe I should replace them...?

Of course, I also like the manual lever why not..? I saw someone making a decently small lever right where the cable pulls on the exhaust valve. I could live with that.
(not like the bike often did not start... with the old battery it happened, but not with the new one)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:50:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › advchopper build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.