Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: advchopper build
Reply #30 - 12/04/23 at 19:54:26

Smoker, for your memories.

Smoker.jpg

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #31 - 12/05/23 at 04:39:11

In 1966 I bought my first bike, a Suzuki 150 twin 2-stroke.  It was black and the body design was very much like the bike shown.

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 12/12/23 at 14:15:48

jcstokes wrote on 12/04/23 at 19:54:26:
Smoker, for your memories.

Oh Wow, lovely bike!
We did not have them for domestic market like that though, fuel tank was different and we never got the separate oil pump so it was pre-mix. But hey, up until 2000s, we had 40:1 fuel at the pumps. Lot of 2 smokers back then. Wartburgs, Trabants, Barkas. Since then I don't trust air I can't see! Cheesy

I might still have some tools for that engine (634 or 632?) and definitely have an ignition setting tool somewhere! Cheesy I had to set ignition every 600km... 3 days to England, 3 ignition timing stops.

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 12/12/23 at 14:39:39

Got the first testride of the bike now that some of the snow melted.
Front mudguard is useless... I think i'll put the old one back on, looks is one thing, getting all wet from the knees down is another.

I think drivebelt is squeaking... did i tighten it too much?

Also ordered an 18Ah bigger battery. It will take up the space of the chrome box but I don't like chrome too much anyway.

I think i'll install heated grips for this Elefantentreffen ride... any advise on those? Never had one. Is Oxford Ok? Apart of that I see a swarm of suspiciously cheap stuff online.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #34 - 12/12/23 at 18:25:54

Zoltan, I won't hijack your thread anymore, but mine is still premix 1974 634. Might have been better quality on the export ones. Rode about 22000 km 1976-80 . A rotating Morris Oxford wiped me off in 1979 and a sliding Holden Kingswood wiped me off in 1980. Never rode again until 2007 Suzuki GN 250 and Suzuki S40 2010. Jawa 634 last year.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 12/13/23 at 02:34:31

Hi Jcstokes! I do not mind a bit of Jawa talk, after all the rear end of the Savage is from my old Jawa 634. And you are absolutely right, export models were better quality. (We needed dollars badly to buy electronics that we could not make, eh?) Mine was 1982, and i think for domestic (aka communist) market they were kept in production till '84. The engine itself was not too bad, in fact people often used clutch and gearbox from 632-634 in the later 638 (alu cylinders) JAwa TS models. Interesting bit, the good old Czech arms manufacturer still built almost identical copies to the old cast iron Jawa bikes in 1987. I had one of those with 12V electrics, it was way better made than the more modern Jawa TS. You could say it was our Enfield. Cheesy 'Built like a gun... 50 years ago' What killed them off real fast was the appalling quality of spare parts, especially lately. I think there are some manufacturers in Czech who still make good stuff, but the prices are sky high. You can have a decent front brake on your Honda CM for chips, or have a pile of worthless pig iron parts for the same money for Jawa.

I find such data very interesting about communist economy. It's almost hilarious if it was not sad.

Back to savage after i  offed my own thread! Cheesy
Read through the squeaky belt section... I think I'll try to loosen it a bit. Hopefully that's the ticket.

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 12/22/23 at 04:38:55

Not that much was done in the weeks before the Xmas madness:
As the old battery could not hold charge for more than a week, I decided to get a new one and a bigger at that. After some searching with the dimensions I settled on 18Ah, and got an Exide AGM (even though i wanted a classic flooded cell)... I believe the code is YTX20. It's longer on the longest axle, and apparently a good 10mm shorter vertically.
If I so much as look inquiringly at the starter button it roars into life, so there's that. No worry to pushstart it somehow in the snow and ice of a Godforsaken German hillside. Cheesy

P1010840.JPG
  IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 12/22/23 at 05:04:49

As the dirtbike mudguard did everything apart from guarding from mud and the old steel piece looks kinda silly on the knobby tires, I decided to bolt on a mudflap.
I find it amazing, let me share with you... Cheesy

This is a pretty agricultural area and i moved here just a bit over a year ago... there's a small petrol station / hardware shop in the nearest city (point of civilisation... shops etc) Lovely things you can buy there if you have a tractor.
Usually on petrol stations here you can have a selection of wines, beer crackers, teddy bears, whiskey (we have 0 tolerance on drink and drive...) ...  pretty much anything you need apart from stuff for a car like for example brake fluid...
Not here though, in that small shed you can get a new set of front leaf springs for your Ursus tractor. Cheesy I bet you could rebuild your locally made pickup truck with parts from that Agro-station after you ditched it because you bought too much 'brake fluid' on one of the fancy petrol stations... Cheesy

You also get mudflaps. For the grand total for about a dollar-75...

Mudflap cut to shape and bolted to the mudguard:

P1010842.JPG
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #38 - 12/22/23 at 06:26:11

Do you mean they cut it for you and place it on there for a $75?

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 12/22/23 at 08:03:39

Nono, I meant that part cost  about 1.75$.
The cutting and fitting i did. The point is, parts for agricultural parts are hilariously cheap. I remember i had a tractor headlight on one of my old bikes as it was like a 3rd of the price for a universal bike headlight.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #40 - 12/22/23 at 17:00:35

I like your style Zoltan.  It's very functional, resourceful, and authentic.    Cool

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 01/02/24 at 05:21:50

Then you might like the next idea.  Cheesy I'll make heated grips using constantan wire. Found a decent writeup on some swiss website. All i need is a few meters of wire, some heat-shrink tube, a decent 3 way switch.

This stuff is commonly used as the cutting wire to slice up styrofoam panels for building insulation, so it's available. (Well, everything is available from ebay...)

Just tested the bike, and on a bigger pothole the rear tire hit the fender. I think i'll go for a size longer shocks. Do I remember correctly? Marauder 800  does the trick?
I'll try to finish up the rough version of the luggage rack today afternoon and post some pictures about it.

The new battery kicks it alive like a charm too!

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 01/03/24 at 02:11:48

Actually I read up on the rear shocks and turned it up a notch to maximum. IS there a rough estimate of extra weight it takes on the back to compress to the same level? Like 1 click is 20kg or something? Probably not official data, but an empirical observation from someone?
If it can take 10-15kg of load on the rack and will not compress more then before (now it's on the highest setting, and it was on the 1 before highest) then i do not need to get the taller shocks.

Asking as it would be rather silly to load the bike up and start riding toward Germany to realise that i hit the fenders at every pebble i ride over. Cheesy

Finished up the welding of the luggage rack:

luggage_rack_2024_1.JPG
  IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 01/03/24 at 02:12:45

I hammered half a pipe over the horizontal pipe to give it some extra strength

luggage_rack_2024_3.JPG
  IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 01/03/24 at 02:13:53

It mounts to the top shock absorber mounts with a U profile that holds the frame of the bent pipe.

luggage_rack_2024_4.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:55:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › advchopper build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.