Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Finn Hammer's Savage
Reply #90 - 02/27/24 at 03:29:21

I had a small aluminum head welded once.  The head was a single cylinder air cooled head with a port for fuel injection that was used to replace a cracked head on a 6 cylinder engine.  The other 5 cylinders were from an engine that didn't have the fuel injection port and I wanted it welded up so all the head matched.

The head was spotlessly clean, and the fellow took a large acetylene torch and slowly heated the head evenly prior to welding.  He then took the Tig welder and filled up the port, then he took the torch and heated the head up again and carefully got the entire head heated evenly.  Then buried the head in a bag of oil dry and told me to come back tomorrow to pick up the head.

The head worked perfectly and and not damaged in any way by the welding.

I am pretty sure for an engine like the Savage it is not worth that kind of effort to weld a head, as DragBikeMike has already proven that even without welding you can start making more HP than the transmission can handle.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #91 - 02/28/24 at 13:04:58

"I am pretty sure for an engine like the Savage it is not worth that kind of effort to weld a head, as DragBikeMike has already proven that even without welding you can start making more HP than the transmission can handle."

Absolutely correct.  It's pretty easy to make more power than the stock setup can handle.  First thing to upchuck is the clutch, then the head stud in the exhaust port, then the trans.  But there seem to be solutions for those weak points.  Armen's rule: you find your limits by exceeding them".  Wouldn't be any fun if there weren't any limits to exceed.

There is a little more to be had by filling in the dipsy doodle, but as it is you can reach a flow bias that seems to exceed accepted norms for a naturally aspirated engine.  If my memory serves me right, about 70 to 75% is desirable.  An engine with a power adder should be up around 85 to 90% (or something in that neighborhood).

That stick welding looks pretty cool.  Never heard of stick welding aluminum but it's not an application that requires a lot of strength, you just want the filler material to stay put.  Seems like the stick welding might apply a lot more heat than wire feed, but that's just a guess on my part.  I have very little hands-on experience with welding.  Why couldn't you use wire feed and just let the wire pay out farther before striking the arc.  You could flood the port with argon with a hose at the valve seats.

I definitely would be concerned about weld shrinkage.  It's gonna pull on the guide bosses and I suspect you will end up with loose valve guides.  They sell oversize guides and a special reamer, but given the fact that the bosses have been distorted by the weld I suspect the finished guides will be grossly misaligned with the seats.  It will rapidly become brain surgery, waaaaaay past any skills I have.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #92 - 02/28/24 at 14:36:17

Ok tanks guys, for sharing your thoughts. You expressed the concerns I also had. But I thought the transmission would be fine if I left out the larger piston.

I spoke to a tuner who welds a lot of aluminum crankcases and cylinders and said that with Tig the distortion is not too bad. But that with electrodes and MIG cracks sometimes occur due to local heating. He also said that hammering on the hot weld minimizes deformation.
And he advised me not to weld close to bearing fits.

So if it's not really necessary why should I do it. I'm not that stubborn anymore. Or am I  Smiley

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #93 - 03/04/24 at 12:23:26

It is with great regret I have to conclude, that my work with the inlet port has not given the results that I had hoped. The very best I have acheived is an increase in flow rate of 7%, from 207CPM to 222CPM. The work included smoothing out rough transitions, and raising the floor to get a larger radius on the short turn.
But that is it, and after all, I have not been working with engines for my intire life, I have only been _thinking_ about them for my entire life, and there is a difference. So I will move on from now, and the next project is the exhaust. I have all along wanted to build the High flow quiet muffler:
https://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1609379913
and feed it with a 1 3/4"  45mm header. The header has now been welded up.
I is a bit too pointy for my liking, but this was the largest radius mandrel bend I could source on the planet, so for now it will have to do. My search for the correct radius bend is an ongoing endevour, since I am not into the pie style exhausts.

20240304_204306.jpg

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #94 - 03/04/24 at 19:32:50

Finn, you did a fantastic job on that header.  That pipe is a real beauty, and the correct size too (1.75").  That piece is a treasure.  

I'm sorry to hear you are not having much luck with the intake port.  I'm also sorry that I didn't see your PM until this afternoon.  You sent it on the 29th.  I need to log in more frequently.

Hard for me to assess just based on the pictures, but I will give it a try.  Your approach is exactly the way I went at it, use clay first, then after arriving at the best shape, replicate with the epoxy.  I have marked up your pictures.  

Based on my experience, your clay build-up runs too far into the bowl area.  Your clay goes through the bowl and almost touches the seat. I experienced similar results when I ran my build up into the bowl.  The area I have circled in yellow shows your clay well into the bowl.  Try and pull the clay out of the bowl and blend the remaining clay into the aluminum.  That will probably require that you move the apex further back.  I find that if I wet my finger with water it helps to smooth the clay.

FinnHammer_First_Attempt_Bowl.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #95 - 03/04/24 at 19:45:30

The sides of the port need to blend into the widened area adjacent to the valve guides.  You should be able to look into the port and not see any overhanging aluminum before the widened area.  Just as if you were training your line of sight along a wall to see if the wall is straight, you should be able to train your eye along the side of the port and see the side of the bowl.  So, the blending should start well back from the valve guide area, close to the carb flange.

There also appears to be an excess of clay.  This is difficult to determine from a picture.  I would try to remove small amounts of clay in the portion of the port leading up to the apex.  You can use a small wooden dowel dipped in water to smooth the clay surface and verify it is a straight ramp with no low spots.  It should be a straight incline running up to the apex from the intake flange.

FinnHammer_First_Attempt_Eyebrows.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #96 - 03/04/24 at 19:53:13

This picture shows how I work on the side of the port to widen it and blend it in to the are aft of the apex.  Sorry, this is the best pic I could dig up.  The port is not finished, but it should give you an idea what I was trying to accomplish.  I don't think you have to worry about making a lazy port.  The epoxy build-up reduces overall volume, so the air velocity remains high.  Widening the runner to blend it all the way back isn't gonna hurt velocity.

Epoxy_Buildup_22_002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #97 - 03/04/24 at 20:05:55

Your bridge in the center of the port seems too wide.

FinnHammer_First_Attempt_Bridge.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #98 - 03/04/24 at 20:07:06

Try thinning it and removing some of the clay.  This is fairly close to how it should look.

Bridge.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #99 - 03/04/24 at 20:08:28

This is how things should look viewed through the valve seat.

Intake_Seats_Close_up.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #100 - 03/04/24 at 20:25:26

I have found that the placement of the apex is critical.  You are approaching the problem correctly.  Moving the apex fore & aft to find the sweet spot, that is a good method.

Have you tried using a wide flat-blade screwdriver to find the sweet spot?  With no clay in the port, I have found that you can move a wide screwdriver around on the floor of the port while the flow bench is running.  When the screwdriver aligns with the sweet spot the increase in flow is very evident.

One thing to note is the stock flow.  Your stock flow data (207 cfm @ 28") seems low to begin with.  When corrected to 15" H2O that works out to 151 cfm.  All the stock heads I have tested so far have been around 164 to 166 cfm at 15".  Although the two benches are completely different, and I would expect disparities, your stock flow being so much lower than the numbers I get could hold a clue.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #101 - 03/04/24 at 20:35:34

Regarding the jack bolt for the cam chain tensioner, you asked why I locate that bolt on the 2nd fin vs the bottom fin.  If you try to install the bolt on the bottom fin, there will be no material left for the spot face.  You need the spot face so that you can use a cap to lock the bolt in position and seal off the penetration.  This jack bolt system works superb.  It acts as a fixed fulcrum, so you really don't need to be concerned about leverage.

In addition to the concern over the spot face for the cap, you also do not want to thin out the material directly above the head gasket surface.  The area directly below has a lateral oil passage in the cylinder, so you want to maintain rigidity to ensure a good seal.

This is the spot face that I incorporate.

Aux_Bolt_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #102 - 03/04/24 at 20:41:28

You can see that without the spot face, installing the lock/sealing cap would not be possible.

Jack_Bolt_Cap_Installed.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #103 - 03/04/24 at 20:44:01

Please tell us more about your experience with the intake port.  That port really yields a big increase in power.  You should be able to get that thing flowing well.  Sorry again for not logging in and checking my messages.

That header combined with the high-flow muffler is gonna be killer good.  Very nice job on the 1.75" header.  I guess I missed the stats on the ID.  Is the ID about 1.62"?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #104 - 03/05/24 at 11:00:57

This morning, I broke out the old HammerHead and took a few more pics.  Hopefully, they will add a little clarity.

Here, you can see how the epoxy filler does not extend into the throat.

HammerHead2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 01:08:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finn Hammer's Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.