Finn Hammer's Savage (Read 1992 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Finn Hammer's Savage
Reply #105 - 03/05/24 at 11:04:40

This shows the bridge and the runner ovality.

HammerHead1.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #106 - 03/05/24 at 11:06:46

This shows the side of the port and how the runner blends, as viewed through the valve seat.

HammerHead3.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #107 - 03/05/24 at 11:07:54

And this shows the side of the port and how the runner blends, as viewed through the intake flange.

HammerHead4.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #108 - 03/05/24 at 11:15:37

I could mail the HammerHead to you so that we could learn a few things.  You could run it up on your flow bench so we could compare data between the two benches, and you could do a thorough dimensional comparison.  If it is not too crazy expensive, I would be willing to pay postage to you if you are willing to pay the return postage.  I want to use the HammerHead for my Stage 4 head project, so I need it back.  But you are welcome to use it in the interim.  I think it would be a good collaboration.

If you are willing to share your city and country, I can check with our postal service to see what it might cost to send it.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #109 - 03/05/24 at 11:37:09

Mike, you are too kind.
Let me try some of the things you suggested first, then we will see. I am certain the floor is not a flat, or linear slope up to the apex, instead it raises up in a curve, the lip in between the 2 throats also needs to be worked to an almost knife edge, the straightness of the outher bounds of the port, I need to get them straight too. And then the surface finish could be better too, I wil improve on that.

It is so strange, when I look at the head, I think it is all right, when I take pictures they reveal that the port is not so well done, yours has really good finish and blends.
I appreciate your offer, and I am definately game on your terms.
But lets hold the horses for a moment.

I could also send you a couple of orifices caracterised on my bench, and you could use them to see how your bench matches mine.

Great collaboration going on here.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #110 - 03/06/24 at 02:13:48

Finn, I just thought of something else.  You are testing at a very high differential.  The air velocity is also very high.  Your clay may be shifting.

When I first started messing with the port flow, I had trouble keeping the clay in the dipsy-doodle.   The tests results were inconsistent, and I ultimately gave up on the clay because it kept pulling out of the dipsy-doodle.  I was doing the tests on the HammerHead, and since that is my test mule and will never be installed on an operational engine, I went ahead and filled in the dipsy-doodle with epoxy.  The intent was to determine if there was anything to be gained by filling it in.

If I could shift the clay with my anemic setup, you certainly could shift the clay with your supercharged bench.  You might wanna consider lowering your test pressure just to find the sweet spots for the filler material.  Then, once you have determined the correct geometry, replicate the shape with epoxy and test at 28".

If you don't get it just right, it's easy to make adjustments, add filler, or remove the epoxy and do it over.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #111 - 03/07/24 at 08:32:09

Mike,

Those pictures did add clarity, even though I did not manage to get the gain in flow when trying to replicate the design. I am starting to think that I have arrived at the flow that is possible with the stock valves, and the associated throat diameter. I don't want to enlarge them at the moment.
The clay I am using sticks really well, unlike PlayDoo, which falls off very easily.
I think I will just finish the exhaust system, and then I can take the head, cylinder and piston off. This will allow me to make measurements on the original head, I think I need to do that to get a bit of clarity about how the 2 heads I have compare.
If I don't get conclusive numbers from that, Then I will gladly take part in the Flying Hammerhead Deal you suggested.

I got a bit further with the muffler today. The design I am using calls for a truncated cone to adapt from muffler to header. (Actually a 50mm tube to make a clamp on to the header).
This is the first step in manufacturing this important part:

20240307_114027.jpg

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #112 - 03/07/24 at 08:32:18

After smoothing the cuts a bit, I start to bend the cone in the vice:
« Last Edit: 03/08/24 at 04:47:50 by FinnHammer »  

20240307_115108.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #113 - 03/07/24 at 08:32:27

Then I start to beat it with the soft hammer, to adapt to a piece of brass stock

20240307_121131.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #114 - 03/07/24 at 08:32:38

After a trip to the lathe, some welding, it ends up on the front of the muffler

20240307_141513.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #115 - 03/07/24 at 08:32:49

And this is the way It will look. I made a fastening similar to the original one, using some square tubing, cut in a tapered fasion, to fit the lift to the aft, which I like very much. I am satisfied with the looks of the exhaust system. All I need now is the inside tube with the baffle and all the holes, and the clamping detail between muffler and header.

20240307_165312.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #116 - 03/07/24 at 11:10:25

That is a sweet lookin exhaust system.  How did you attach the mount to the muffler?  Do you have any pics.  I've been contemplating stainless steel pop rivets.

Can't wait to see how you construct the baffle.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #117 - 03/08/24 at 04:37:58

Starting with the mostly internal details of the muffler, here is a drawing of how it is constructed.
The 2 1/2" tubing on the muffler is cut off, and the cone is welded to it instead. So the cone bridges the gap between the muffler and the 50mm tube that forms the clamp piece.

20240308_125842.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #118 - 03/08/24 at 04:38:55

This 50mmØ clamp piece is to be joined to the internal 45mmØ baffle tube, so it has to be swaged into a smaller diameter at the one end. This is done by chucking it around a brass mandrel (steel would do as well, brass was what I had on hand in the right dimension) with a couple millimeters overhang, then just hit it with a hammer and lay the edge down on the mandrel, This is surprisingly easy to do. (well surprising to me since it is the first time I tried to do a thing like that.)

20240308_124921.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #119 - 03/08/24 at 04:42:57

The clamp part has had a spin in the lathe, to make the proper fit with the baffle tube. The joint here will be welded. I use TIG welding exclusivly.
When the baffle tube has been manufactured it will be welded here, and inserted into the muffler, and then the cone will finally be welded to the clamp piece.

20240308_124944.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 22:41:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finn Hammer's Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.