Send Topic Print
Finn Hammer's Savage (Read 2062 times)
FinnHammer

Denmark
Re: Finn Hammer's Savage
Reply #75 - 02/09/24 at 14:00:34

Mike, all,

Edited:
I A am getting too old to quote from memory! The maximum flow rate is 147CFM/Square inch, not 110. This makes my conclusions wrong

The port goes flat at 0.25", but at vastly higher flow rate. I think this shows that we are opening the port up to support what the valves are capable of.
And perhaps we are limited by the flow capacity of the valves themselves, at 0.25 inch opening.

I seem to recall that valve flow reaches it's max at 0.25 X valve diameter. After that you can open it up all you want, it still don't increase flow (but it reaches full flow earlier).

With 28mm valves, this means 7mm opening.
At 7mm opening, the curtain area amounts to 0.95 square inches.
One square inch can flow 110 CFM max.
This means that each valve can flow max 105 CFM @ 100% flow efficiency.
Set the flow efficiency to 80%,( I hear that is a reasonable and respectable number), then expect the valve to flow 84CFM.
2 valves flowing 168CFM expected, at 7mm opening.

This corresponds well with my latest measurement, 168 @ 6.35mm.

If this holds water, then the focus should now shift to working the valves (back cut) and the seats (multible angle throat and deshrouding) to try and approach the 100%.

Are there any obvious errors in this assessment?

Cheers, Finn Hammer

« Last Edit: 02/10/24 at 02:58:28 by FinnHammer »  

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #76 - 02/10/24 at 23:18:14

"Are there any obvious errors in this assessment?"

Nothing obvious to me Finn, but I'm far from an expert.  I think we sort of arrived at the same conclusion.  That's why I mentioned revisiting the valve seat throats.  But I have a feeling that the pinch point is actually around the valve guide boss.  Visually, that appears to be the smallest cross section, and it's torturous too.  I taper the guide and round off the aluminum boss, but have been reluctant to lob off a lot of material.  Maybe I should try that on the HammerHead and see what I can achieve.

I think I should break out the flow bench and try some more tests, starting with a good back cut on each exhaust valve.  Then get serious with the valve guides and surrounding boss, try to open up that pinch point.

It seems a shame to waste the remaining .12" lift.  My DR cam lifts the exhaust valve .366".  If the port signs off at .250", all I get from the additional .12" lift is duration and a reduction in the tendency to loft the rocker arm.  Would be nice to see that flow continue to increase past .25".  My original Stage III data shows flow increasing all the way to .35". I want to try and find that lost flow.

You know how it is with old folks, always losing stuff and then wandering around the house trying to figure out where they left it.  I figure that's what happened to my flow, I have to figure out where I left it.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #77 - 02/13/24 at 10:51:38

And this is why math is power , Stay in school kiddies ! I so enjoy reading their work. Another blue skies , 60+ day here. Heading to the foothills to find a victim for my 93 mph wonder , I’m gone

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #78 - 02/18/24 at 04:00:24

Here is a look at the exhaust ports from the Combustion chamber side. Discussion 2 posts down

20240218_113606.jpg

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #79 - 02/18/24 at 04:00:40

Here is a look at the exhaust ports from the header flange side. Discussion 1 post down

Exhaust.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #80 - 02/18/24 at 04:01:31

The porting of the exhaust has come to an end. Pictures tell most of it, and perhaps the flow curves tell the rest.
Of course the feeling of the bike on the road is the final word, but this is out in the future, up here at 56deg. latitude.
I reformed the bowl from a conical shape to a -- well a bowl shape, aligned the throat with the casting, which was underhung, so the throat was enlarged slightly.
In the end, I let the burr work as an extension of my fingers and my mind, to create the shape that I feel is right, as close as possible with the dipsey doodle in mind. I wish I did dare to shave half of the chickness off at that point, there are 7mm thickness. But I fear about the oil temperature there. The lublication of the left main bearing is flowing right over there, so better keep heat conduction away from there as good as possible.
As shown on the latest flow curve, I lost a bit of flow at lift below 0.22" relative to the previous porting, and gained some above. It also appear that I cracked the 0.25 flat curve enigma, to some degree. The cause of this was opening the throat with about one millimeter.
It just now strikes me, that I have one option to regain low lift flow: 30deg. back cut on the valve, I will try this on Tuesday, whefe I have access to a valve grinder.
I will now move on to the inlet port, with the short turn radius increasing  raised floor epoxy mod.
« Last Edit: 02/18/24 at 12:30:37 by FinnHammer »  

20240218_112206.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #81 - 02/18/24 at 04:50:45

Wow that's a big improvement in flow. Smiley
Tanks for sharing your photos and findings so extensively.

I'm wondering if you could round the valve guides or even profile them to get more flow.

And is it possible to remove them before you start milling and put them back afterwards?

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #82 - 02/18/24 at 05:31:23

zevenenergie,

Thank you for your kind words.
You make some valid points, and both actions are viable. However, since I was already way into the territory of diminishing returns, I found it prudent to call it a day, before I totally botched those ports, which I may already have done.
Another point, I felt that improving flow up along the valve guides would perhaps be counterproductive, since it would encourage the flow to follow the top surface of the port, inviting it to slam into the dipsey. Instead I made better room along the bottom of the port.

« Last Edit: 02/18/24 at 07:58:33 by FinnHammer »  

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #83 - 02/19/24 at 02:12:05

Finn, I'm lovin your results.  I think I'm gonna try your configuration on the Hammer Head.  Try to do a comparison of my current flat-floor D port to your geometry.  

My most recent exhaust port flowed 130 cfm at 15".  If I apply the correction factor (.732) to your 28" data I get 138 cfm.  Your corrected data indicates that your configuration flows about 8 cfm more with a smaller outlet.  That's worth lookin at.  By any chance did you test it at 15"?  

I should also note that your clean up around the guides and guide bosses looks a lot better than mine.  That's a very difficult area to access.  Nice job.  You noted that you enlarged the seat throats a bit.  Did you happen to measure the seat throats.  I've been contemplating taking the throats to 88% (.970").  How big are your seat throats?

Are you planning to measure the port volumes when you are all finished up?  The stock int/exh ports are about 112cc/66cc respectively.  I usually end up around 103cc/71cc when I'm finished.  I'm thinkin your exhaust port might have a bit more volume.

Thanks for posting the pics and graphs.  Very informative.  Very helpful.

You need to be concerned about the special head stud that runs up through the floor of the exhaust port.  The head loses a lot of rigidity when you enlarge the port.  The loss of rigidity combined with the elevated temperature causes the internal threads to yield.  The stud slowly pulls out over time.  You can eliminate the problem by replacing the special stud with a threaded insert that installs from the top, through the exhaust port.  It's fairly simple and completely eliminates the problem.  This old post provides details.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1665791582

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #84 - 02/20/24 at 12:38:08

Mike,

Surprise! I just redid the flow measurement, including at 15" H2O, and indeed, it flows 138CFM, just as you predicted.
I guess our benches produce comparable numbers after all.
As you see, there are minor differences from yesterdays curves, particularly at low lift. I cannot explain why, but for now I think it is showing the inaccuracies that have to be accepted for now, perhaps I was sloppy when I mounted the orifice plates, or perhaps something else.
The conversion factor is pretty accurate from 0.15" lift and up.
My throat diameter is 24mm or ~0.94".

I have been pondering the need for a particular valve/throat ratio, in particular why is it so desirable to choke the inlet tract just before the valve seat?
I think perhaps it is not so much the choking that is important, instead it is a necessary evil stemming from the desirability of the stepped multi angle valve job: Without this choke, no material to form the multi angle valve seat from. What do you think?

I do indeed intend to include your excellent modification to the under exhaust head fastner stud, and I am very gratefull for the tip!

FinalPort_15-28.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #85 - 02/21/24 at 21:01:12

Really nice flow numbers Finn.  I find it gratifying to see how the two benches compare.  If you ignore the actual flow numbers and simply look at the percentage of flow increase, we seem to be very close.  

On the head I recently modified, the exhaust flowed 27% better.  I didn’t enlarge throats by any appreciable amount, just what was necessary to blend the seats in.  Your second exhaust attempt was a similar configuration and you improved it by 27%.  

Then you opened up the exhaust seat throats to .940” (about 1mm) and your numbers improved to +40%.  My Stage III pumped flow up to +39%.  Very close.  I think you have found my lost flow.  I must have overlooked the seat throats.

When I encountered the mysterious loss of flow, I did a cross check using the HammerHead.  I assumed I had configured that head identical to my stage III.  The Stage III is currently on my engine, and I wasn’t about to rip it off just to see what the exhaust was flowing.  Since I’m sure that the former flow data came directly off the Stage III, I bet I opened up the throats on that head.  Time to test that on the HammerHead.  Totally cool, so glad you are doing this project, and very appreciative of you sharing the data.

Those seat throats look like they are critical.  I also have pondered the concept of choking the inlet tract just before the seat.  I have read and viewed supposed experts claiming that it creates a venturi or nozzle that accelerates the flow.  I’m not sure.  Eric Weingartner discusses throat size a lot, but he generally relates it to leaving sufficient material to cut the various angles below the 45.  I can confirm that if you get carried away with the throat, there’s nothin left for the 75 and the 60-degree cuts.  But that’s a bit off topic for now.  The exhaust port is the current topic.

I recently made a cutter to allow very accurate enlargement of the valve seat throat, but that cutter is specifically for the intake.  I think I need to come up with a similar cutter for the exhaust seats.  Then I want to try and take those seats right out to 88% (.970”).  And as you stated, pay particular attention to the back cuts on the valves.

I’m in the middle of a project to salvage a head with wiped cam bearings.  It is proving to be quite a challenge.  After this project is complete, I will be breaking out the flow bench.  Can’t wait to see how you do with the intake port.

BTW, I recently purchased a set of Honda 34mm intakes off eBay from an outfit called "Getor" (located in Germany).  The valves were reasonably priced, and the shipping was cheap and fast.  They appear to be high quality Japanese replacement parts.  The stems are a little longer than stock LS valves, but I've been running these Honda valves for a long time with no adverse effects.  The eBay item number is 394193921223.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #86 - 02/22/24 at 11:38:48

I just received the 12mm x 1.25mm bolts for the exhaust cylinder head stud, and it strikes me, that if a stud with 12mm thread is pulled out, then surely the inlet side stud, with it's 8mm thread, should be pulled out too. If not, then it must be the thermal cycling at the exhaust port that does the damage.  Perhaps I will do a similar modification on the inlet side, the insert could even be shaped into a sort of anchor for the epoxy filler.

Regarding the epoxy filler, I purchased the J-B Weld "High Heat" variety, which is a putty roll of intriguing design. The 2 parts of the uncured putty are delivered as a sausage like structure, one part as a core inside the other. Intriguing to me, how these 2 parts are kept from reacting with each other at the interface, but I guess there is one other ingredient in between the 2, that acts as a barrier between them. Anyway, when kneaded together to form the final putty, I really wish there was a more liquid primer to enable the putty to wet the surface of the base material.  It will probably be just fine, although it doesn't feel just right at this moment, when I am doing a test bond to a scrap piece of alluminim stock .

Edited:
I just tried to chisel off the glob of J-B Weld, from the piece of scrap alluminum, that I had prepared as per DBM's advice, by scratching up the surface with a rotary burr. It was impossible to separate the Epoxy from the metal. It sticks exeedingly well. I will use it to raise the floor of the inlet without any hesitation.

I think I will stick to the standard valves on this build, spring time is approaching, and I must have the bike ready to ride the season which is short up here, 6-7 months due to much kold and dark season here.
Then on the head I pull off the bike, I can perhaps try to do the PolyQuad configuration with different sized valves on both inlet and exhaust. This is a rather involving modification,, that includes installing new valve seats on 2 valves.
Sounds very interesting with the repair of the shot cam bearings, I am very interested in hearing more about that.

« Last Edit: 02/23/24 at 06:52:57 by FinnHammer »  

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #87 - 02/24/24 at 12:22:24

Finn, I assure you that the stud that runs into the intake port is strong enough.  No need for any special treatment on that stud.  I do use a slightly longer stud so that it runs up through the epoxy to provide an anchor, but the M8 x 1.25 threads are more than adequate.

The exhaust side is subjected to extreme heat.  Aluminum loses strength at relatively low temperature.  That's why the factory used a special stepped stud.  The M12 threads afford significantly more shear stress area so they can get away with the reduced material strength at higher operating temps.  But when we open up the port, we reduce the rigidity of the head which results in increased stress at the center fastener (the 8mm stud).  Bump up the CR and the situation gets worse.  It's not the cyclic heat, it's the cyclic stress combined with reduced strength.  The aluminum threads give up.

I believe you will find the High Heat putty much easier to form than a paste.  Standard JB Weld paste settles and runs.  It's great stuff and even has a higher temperature threshold, but it would prove difficult to form into the basic shape you are shooting for.  Mineral spirits (used sparingly) helps to keep the stuff from sticking to your finger as you shape it.

Win, lose, or draw, I intend to write a report on the cam bearing fix.  It's just too interesting to pass up.  Gotta share.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #88 - 02/26/24 at 05:40:08

I'll just trespass with something that might be relevant.

I've been thinking for a long time about how to fill up the dipsiedodele In the exaustport.
Epoxy never stays put and you can't reach it with Tig welding. so I thought I would take a MIG and then fill the exhaust passage with shield gas and then weld the hole closed with a MIG torch without a sleeve.

But today I saw that there are electrodes that you can weld aluminum with.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wp7hB02N1JQ

That of course makes it very simple and it doesn't have to be pretty as long as the hole is filled.

You could  also weld up the side where the oil is located so that you can further mill away the obstacle on the inside.

What do you guys think?

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #89 - 02/26/24 at 14:20:20

As you have found out, it is not all that impossible to fill that void, from a welding tech. Point of view.
But the question, as I see it, is: would it help?
Personally, I would prefer to weld on the other side, fit shorter springs etc. and then remove the ridge in the port instead, producing a better port top surface.
Welding on a head seems risky to me, I could imagine all sorts of problems arising from misalignment due to warpage etc. I am not going to do it.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 17:16:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finn Hammer's Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.