Send Topic Print
Finn Hammer's Savage (Read 2062 times)
FinnHammer

Denmark
Re: Finn Hammer's Savage
Reply #45 - 01/30/24 at 11:17:36

Here is the device from the front.

20240130_171932.jpg

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #46 - 01/30/24 at 11:19:23

The head clamps to the top of the column

20240130_171943.jpg

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #47 - 01/30/24 at 11:19:31

The orifice plates are nested inside the column

20240130_172018.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #48 - 01/30/24 at 11:19:39

Here the motors are pulling full tilt on the head, with inlet valves opened 0.4" each. It reaches almost 46" and flows 249CFM.

20240130_172251.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #49 - 01/30/24 at 11:19:46

Here is the first attempt at drawing a full curve. At the request of DBM, i pulled it at 15". I make no claims to the calibration of my device, but I am in contact with folks which have calibrated orifices, and they have promised to loan me one plate to calibrate against.
There is also not complete correlation from plate to plate, you will see there is 4CFM difference between the 60-120 CFM plate and the 100-200CFM plate. I will have to apply a correction factor to the faulty plate once I get the calibrated plates available.
This could mean that the 60-120 plate could be relabelled to 58-116CFM for example, but I will get back to that soon.

20240130_175940.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #50 - 02/01/24 at 02:02:49

Wow!  Nice job Finn.  I love the length of the test stand.  Flow should straighten out nicely.  The metal orifice plates should be very accurate.  The manometers are beautiful.  And that vacuum source; speed control, four pumps, 46", what can I say.  You really have taken it to the next level.

Thanks for running a baseline at 15".  Shows my jalopy is probably way off the mark.  I'm very interested to see how the calibration turns out.  

I've been messing around with 35mm valves.  Once I opened up the throats to about 87%, the wall of the seats got very thin.  I am concerned about that.  I use an old junk head that Fast650 sent me.  It's my test mule.  I guess there's only one way to find out if the seats will stay put.  Gotta do the mod to a serviceable head and run it.  Pretty risky but no guts no glory.

This should give you an idea of what the seats looks like after opening up the throats to 87% (that's 1.200").  

1_200_throat_seat_wall.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #51 - 02/01/24 at 02:11:56

To support the larger valves, I also opened up the runner cross sections in way of the apex.  They are now .95" x 1.200".  There was enough material left on the seats to cut four angles (36, 46, 60 & 75).  It blended well.  This graph shows the improvement in flow.  The low lift flow is essentially unchanged, then at about .250" lift it picks up nicely.  That surprises me.  I figured the low lift flow would show the greatest improvement since the runner cross sections are limited.  I'll take what I can get, but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

Stk_vs_Stage_II_vs_Stage_III_vs_Stage_IV.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #52 - 02/01/24 at 13:02:17

Thank you for your kind words, Mike.
I hope to get the calibrated orifice this weekend already. I am in contact with some old guys that are into racing vintage cars, and they know a lot, even to the point where they can have custon cams ground based on their flow measurements. I hope to pick their brains, but of course they are wary of a newcomer.
I find your work with bigger valves interesting. From the curves you show, I get the notion that the bigger valves (which are now relatively closer to each other) start to negate the benefit of size due to mutual shrouding. Since I dont _know_ anything, I have to rely heavily on what I can read and hear. David Vizards book has turned into a bible for me, worth read and reread again. From it I read about PolyQuad configuration of the valves, a big one and a small one of each. This should change the 4 valve heads predominantly tumble style fill of the cylinder towards a swirl style fill, which is allededgedly beneficial for the low end combustion and thus torque. This would probably lead to the same shrouding effects in the high end, but perhaps not low down. Would need to exchange one of the valve seats for a bigger one though.
This work is very interesting, my hope is to get enough power to reach 100Mph without sacrificing the low end. Not that I need it, it is illegel to go that fast here in Denmark, -would have to go to Germany to try it out, and I am not sure I dare to do it either, due to the bike's tendency to go into wobbely oscillations (think it is called tank slappers), hopefully a change of steering stem bearings will help that out. But I think that since the old british singles were able to do the ton, then mine should too. We will see about that.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #53 - 02/01/24 at 15:16:49

I have had my Cafe' to 101.1mph, twice - about a year apart.  The first time was to see just how fast it would go - the second time was to see if it could be repeated.  The bike gets to 80mph pretty quickly, 90 come a little slower.....that last 11 mph took forever!  When it reaches that speed it just refuses to go any faster......it has reached it's maximum! The bike gets really skittish over 95 and doesn't track well, and that is a result of the raised rear/lowered front reducing the amount of trail (and possibly my 8" headlight) - it got far more wiggly when I installed radial tires and is more stable with bias ply.  A stock Savage should track better and be more stable at speed.  I have added a steering damper to help reduce the high speed scariness!

My engine is a 95mm Wiseco from a DR650 (pop top), Stage 3 Webcam, exhaust and intake port smoothed, 38mm Mikuni and a somewhat restrictive exhaust (but better than stock or a DYNA muffler).  I like a quiet motorcycle and that has likely hurt my top end a bit.  I have plenty of low end torque - the mods I have done have made the bottom end pull better.
I believe a larger header pipe and better muffler would help my bike breath a bit better and raise the top end a bit.

With the work you are doing you should be able to exceed 100mph if you don't mount a windshield and saddlebags!

« Last Edit: 02/02/24 at 03:16:07 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #54 - 02/02/24 at 06:47:41

Bystander looking at Dave's bike: "how fast is it?"
Dave: "It will do the ton"

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #55 - 02/02/24 at 09:48:09

With a name like Finn Hammer you most definitely have to do the ton ! You and DBM scare me with your knowledge. While my bike falls short of the ton   it hauls as$ and I’ll run it against any Savage  in the twisties , drag , tracks. Win , loose or draw it would be an epic race. I won’t bore you with all the crap about it. I know you got this and the ton is just a milestone to be crushed !  Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #56 - 02/02/24 at 10:23:27

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/02/24 at 06:47:41:
Bystander looking at Dave's bike: "how fast is it?"
Dave: "It will do the ton"

Yep - That is why I had to find out!

It is far less scary and fun at 60mph! Wink

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #57 - 02/02/24 at 16:31:45

Are you shooting for a CFM rate?

Seems like this poor bike is somewhat limited with its RPMs to move a ton of air. And at some point heat generation with no liquid cooling will be a factor.

A 450cc hitting 11k rpm, with a flat piston, ultra light components and water cooling,  has a similar pipe diameter. Before all the injections, the single carb is about in the 38-40mm range too.

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #58 - 02/03/24 at 01:27:30

SpammyToo, All:

Yes, I am shooting for a higher rate of CFM, but also for a higher runner velocity, so perhaps even a smaller runner diameter than stock. A high speed in the inlet runner means that more air will be rammed into the cylinder by the time that the piston is around about bottom dead center, and the inlet valve is already close to shutting, due to the inertia of the air coloumn.
Time will tell since, as I mentioned before, I still _know_ only a little, but have read, heard and, in particular, speculated a lot. Time will tell what I can experience, and thus _know_.
For example, I thought I knew, due to the written wisdom of Orifices, that they can only produce reliable readings at 50% to 90% of their flowrate. My experience now is that this range can safely be extended to 40% to 100%.
What is the point of that, you may ask. For one it means that I can cover the whole antissipated range of flows with just 2 orifice plates, one going from 40CFM to 100CFM, the other from 100CFM to 250CFM. There is no need for overlapping ranges, as I thought before.
I can assure you, that having to change orifices during a measurement session can amount to a big nuisance over time.

I would use a remotely adjustable Iris orifice if I had the means to properly calibrate one, and if they come with a large enough range (can they close down to a small enough hole):

https://continentalfan.com/e-catalog/industrial/dampers-industrial-applicatio...

I am unsure, english not being the first language of mine, if there is some tounge in cheek in your comment about moving a ton of air, but to be clear, the "ton" is a term loosely assigned to large quantities of something, 100 in this case, dealing with speed, in this case miles per hour.

I agree that more contemporary engine designs, with shorter strokes, higher rev ceilings, water cooling, injection etc. are hard to compete with, and we shouldn't. We should not expect such high break horse power numbers, as displayed by these modern marvels of engine technology. KTM are pulling 63 horsepower out of their recent severely oversquare 690cc single, at 11.000 rpm,  so if we shoot at 45 we would be doing very well indeed. We need power to move the thing, but it is the low end grunt that really counts when driveability is concerned.

Meanwhile, let us not forget the wisdom of Carroll Shelby, when he stated that there is "no replacement for displacement", the massive 40 cubic inches being the main reason why I bought this bike in the first place. The low price of it on the used market being the other.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #59 - 02/03/24 at 04:07:31

I am not sure who originally stated this:

Horsepower sells cars - torque wins races.

The Savage engine is really in it's element on curvy mountain roads.  The torque allows us to go into a corner and accelerate back out without the need for a gear change.  For me this is the appeal of a big single.  The engine works without any drama or surprises - it just pulls smoothly when you open up the throttle.

The Savage engine can be improved and become a very satisfying engine - but for sure it will never be a race bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 05:01:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finn Hammer's Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.