Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Finn Hammer's Savage
Reply #30 - 12/02/23 at 02:11:59

I really want to try this method of building a pipe.  It looks easy - but I am sure there is some learned skill that needs to be applied here.

I don't believe my Rosebud torch or regulators can flow enough heat to get this done......maybe if I borrowed a friend and his torch we could use 2 torches to get the heat applied.  The pipe must be filled with dry sand to prevent the pipe from kinking at the bend.....the sand must be dry so that the heat doesn't get dissipated into steam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8mMQbEkr8w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyM65MKxDNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0qiLDFWQS8

If I can find a local welding/fabrication shop that already has a big torch......maybe I can get them to help me bend the pipe.

« Last Edit: 12/02/23 at 07:43:54 by verslagen1 »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #31 - 12/02/23 at 02:31:52

My experience with bending thin-walled pipe filled with sand is that the sand does not support the pipe sufficiently. The volume of the tube increases during bending, making the results disappointing.

What I did succeed in was annealing a thin-walled tube, filling it with lead and then bending it cold in a pipe bender. Making your own mold with the correct diameter is not that difficult.

Lead fumes are poisonous, but by putting pieces of lead in a pipe and using the pipe as a crucible, can reduce your exposure to lead fumes to zero.
Alway,s do it outside.
I buy my materials from scrap iron dealers. You only pay a fraction of the new price.

Stainless steel tube is your friend here because it is much more pliable. Sawing segments and welding them together can also give a very nice result. And especially if you grind away the weld on the inside after welding each segment.

With stailess steel tube you have to fill the inside with a protective gas otherwise you will end up with small cauliflowers on the inside.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #32 - 12/02/23 at 09:41:34

DragBikeMike wrote on 12/01/23 at 19:09:19:
"better look whimpy than be whimpy"   Grin

I agree Finn.  However, I doubt that it will look whimpy.  Given the work that you have already presented, I bet it will look great.

You will not be disappointed with that 94mm flat-top.  It runs great.  Makes excellent power and the fuel economy is off the hook.  Can't wait to hear how it runs with that 1.6" header.

FYI, you can also get that flat-top design in a 97mm.

………

There are no 97’s left.  Getting more requires a minimum order of 12, which I have no plans to do unless someone wants to order at least 8.  Selling the initial batch was a long process, just not much interest.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #33 - 12/02/23 at 10:27:52

Lancer, do you still have the 94mm flat-tops?

Sorry to hear you don’t intend to stock the 97 any more.  Guess I better hang on to my old beat up 97FT.  It’s been through the mill but probably worth its weight in gold.

I’ve been wanting to convert a 97PT to a flat-top for a while now.  Just wanted to see how it works.  My current engine has a 97PT with the cylinder deck reduced about .050”.  It makes killer power but I can’t achieve the same efficiency as the flat-top.  If you aren’t gonna stock the 97FT anymore, I guess I’m gonna have to try the PT to FT conversion.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #34 - 12/02/23 at 11:16:12

DBM did you the get the PM I sent you ?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 12/02/23 at 12:17:06

Lancer, last PM I got from you was back in August.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #36 - 12/03/23 at 04:22:34

Guys,
I admit to loosing patience with that first video, but heating it for over, was it 4 minutes?, before bending it, for what it is wortk, it might as well be a solid rod, certainly not thin wall tubing, cos that would have been red hot long before , even with an air assisted propane torch.
The sand filled method is doable. I know because I did a VW beach buggy exhaust back in 1976 in Mombasa. Takes some technique, though. You have to start the bend from both ends of it, doing only 1/3 of it in each end, then finish it off in the middle of the bend last.
That produces a passable bend, but still not round.
The last video, well, was that really thin wall tubing, I think not.

Plumbers have a way to bend copper tubing, and that is inserting a spring into the tube. The spring must be made from square section steel, or if made from round steel, it must be ground down by 1/2 of the spring wires diameter, so that in each case it presents a smooth surface out to the tube. Combined with quality dies to support the internal of the bent (and some superiour lubrication) this method might just cut it. And perhaps this is the way to bend the double walled original header.
One final method is called mandrel bending, that is the industry standard, and the method used in the manufacture of the part I have ordered:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/385110366508

We will see soon enough if it is usable.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #37 - 12/03/23 at 11:06:44

Started making the flow bench today.
I really did put a lot of thinking into it, including a fancy carrusell loader for the orifice plates, to facilitate quick shifts from one orifice to the other.
Then it dawned on me, that I will have to turn down the fans between orifice shift, due to the water manometers which can get sucket out real quick, and that revelation saved me a great deal of work, so I settled on a very simple design seen here:
A tall slender box, with a dividing plate in the middle.
That dividing plate will later accept a proper fixture to hold the orifice plates.
Not yet seen is the top plate, which will be capped with an adaptor for the cylinder.
If you have built speaker cabinets this will look familiar, and if you have a fine wood workshop, this is a great chance to display your cabinetmaking skills.
I have neither, so I slapped this together in 3 hours, using cheap materials I had laying around, and be done with it.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

20231203_161426.jpg

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #38 - 12/03/23 at 11:07:50

After rounding the corners with the router, and opening up to the plenum gallery, I slapped some paint on the thing, just to make it look a bit nice, after all.
The point here is to look at this part of the bench as equivalent to the cast iron work on a lathe or a miling machine. Not very smooth, not very accurate, but sturdy and sufficient to support the parts that matter: The cylinder support up top, the orifice plates and the door into them, in the middle.

I am planning on these orifice plates, measuring at 8" differential
CFM      Dia.
10-20      0.72"
15-30      0.88"
25-50      1.14"
40-80      1.44"
65-130     1.84
100-200   2.28"
150-300   2.80"

This should give me a  good overlap, and some ability to check them against each other for fine calibration.

Man, I'm gonna have a flow bench! that is really exiting.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
« Last Edit: 12/03/23 at 14:25:32 by FinnHammer »  

20231203_192701.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #39 - 12/04/23 at 11:07:47

Looks like you're putting together a premium bench Finn.  I'm curious about a few things.

Your orifice specs refer to 8" pressure.  Are you planning to test at 8"?  As I recall, you have enough power to test at a very high pressure, possibly as high as 28".  Is the 8" reference simply where those particular orifice sizes are rated for 100% flow, or do you plan on testing the port at 8" differential?  Is the 8" reference simply the pressure across the orifice and not the test pressure across the port?

I see that you plan on testing the orifices against each other.  Sort of like a calibration check.  That's a cool idea.  I have noticed that my orifices pretty much agree when compared to each other in areas of overlap.  I never thought of that as a calibration, but now that you mention it is a very nice cross check.  Is that idea something you figured out on your own, or did you find it somewhere in a piece of reference material?  

I have to use several orifices to run a test over the full range of valve travel in order to maintain the flow at 50% or more on the inclined manometer.  What will you use to measure the pressures, manometers or some sort of gages?  If you use manometers, how will you make the scale for your inclined manometer for the orifice plate differential?  If you use a gage, I assume you have some method to convert the pressure reading to a % of flow across the orifice.  If that's the case, how did you figure that out?

I am very interested in what sort of flow numbers you get with the stock head.  I test my heads at increments of .025" lift all the way through .400".  When you get your bench running, do you think you could run a test on a stock head, test flow at 15" H2O starting at .025" lift and continue in .025" increments up through .400"?  I would be very interested in the results.

I only use my jalopy bench for comparisons to verify that a change in the port results in a measurable improvement in flow.  Your bench looks like it will be much more sophisticated and possibly way more accurate.   Thanks for sharing. 

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #40 - 12/05/23 at 08:28:01

Mike,

I intend to test at 28", just because I can, but I will definitely also test at 15" as you have requested. Perhaps even also do it on a regular basis, since keeping numbers comparable with yours seems like a good idea.

The 8" is the differential pressure across the measuring orifice, as monitored by the inclined manometer.

When it comes to calibration of the plates, the proper way would be to take at least one plate to a headwork shop, and have it calibrated on an already accurate bench. This is not possible for me here in Denmark, so I will have to make do with calculated hole dimensions, and hope they produce remotely accurate results.
When I said calibrate, I mean to use one of the plates I make, to be the local standard, and then adjust the other plates to deliver identical numbers in the overlapping area.
Let's take the 40-80 CFM plate as the standard.
It should not be operated beyond 90% of full bore, so it is really a 40-72 CFM orifice.
That is why I chose 65-130 (65-117)CFM as my next step, so that there would be 7 overlapping CFM's to compare. No, I did not read about that anywhere, just seemed to be common sense.
I will measure by "First Principle", that means using water columns as suggested in the Dtech article you recommended in your own bench build thread. There are excell solutions to make the scale, havent yet looked into it in detail, but will have to quite soon.
In the end, I will say, that the bench here is for Savage only, and really also just to record any beneficial changes I may make to the head.
If we were to modify big block chavy heads and the like, we might have to produce comparable numbers, but who knows, yours and my heads may be the only savage heads to be flow tested.

Below is a picture of the top fixture for the head, with mock cylinder protruding into the bench, o-ring seal to the gasket surface, 12mm hollow dowels to align the head, and 8mm studs to tighten the head down with.

Edit.
I would like to add that the litterature I have read about flow benches is the Dtec design guide:
http://dtec.net.au/Flowbench%20Design%20Guide.htm
I have also found some good things in the forum here:
https://flowbenchtech.com/
Finally, I skimmed David Vizards: How to port and flow test cylinder heads.
That's it.
On the use of manometer gauges: The best ones are MKS Baratrons, they are quite expensive, and the only ones I would trust to below one percent.
But starting to use gauges would expand the amount of work involved to a level where the flow bench itself becomes the project.
It would be possible to derive a PWM signal for the motors to arrive at the desired test pressure automatically, and ever so many other nice features, but:
By using water manometers I can keep the bench simple, which is important to me,.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
« Last Edit: 12/05/23 at 11:21:02 by FinnHammer »  

20231205_165148.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 12/05/23 at 12:03:14

Although your bench looks way different, it is actually quite similar to mine.  I think it is a big improvement with features like the door to change orifice plates, the metal adapter with o-rings for the cylinder, the long length to straighten out the air flow, and of course the major league vacuum source.  You are definitely taking it to the next level.  Do you also plan to install a honeycomb to straighten the flow even more?

That excel file you mentioned for the inclined manometer was pretty easy to use.  I used a small 1/16" milling cutter to engrave the marks on the scale.  That made it easy to get the graduations at exactly the right locations along the scale.  It worked well.

The snubber valve they suggest is problematic.  Any small leak in the instrument tubing screws the readings up.  I would be careful with the snubber.  I don't even use it anymore.  

What are your plans for the exhaust valves?  I had poor results when I tried blowing through the exhaust valves.  The shop vacs didn't work well with that arrangement.  So, I suck through the exhaust port.  How do you intend to approach the exhaust side?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #42 - 12/05/23 at 12:28:20

I hope to be able to blow through the exhaust, but I need to get the turbines hooked up to the bench first, and get a feel for how many motors I need, and how well I can handle them with the variable speed thyristor drivers. With that data in, I will build a reversible box like dtec did.
Odd, I thought those bypass valves would be good. But when I lower the rpm with the thyristors, less heat too, so perhaps just small leaks for fine tuning test pressure.

Cannot really say more before that.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Edit, I think I misunderstood the part of the snubber valve, will check up on it. Embarrassedch12305]

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #43 - 12/08/23 at 17:34:20

Finn, the snubber I am referring to is located in the low side of the inclined manometer.  It's intended to dampen pulsation/surges which seem to occur when you reach the limit of the ports ability to flow nicely.  I had a few problems with that valve leaking at the connections and the packing gland.  I eventually just removed the snubber valve.  You would be amazed at how very small leaks occur in what seem to be very tight connections.  

The bleed valves in the vacuum cleaner canisters work great for me to control test pressure.  Using bleed valves in conjunction with fan speed should work even better for you.  That combination should give you excellent control over your test pressure.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #44 - 01/30/24 at 11:17:08

Wow, this took a lot longer to finish than at first antissipated, but the flowbench is now operative, although not fully (like: not at all Wink ) calibrated.Anyway, here is a short walktrough of the device:
Here you see the powerhouse, 4 vacuum cleaner motors pulling together, speed adjusted by a SCR based motor regulator. This works very well.

20240128_125650.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 05:28:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finn Hammer's Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.