Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Supercharged Cafe LS650 (Read 689 times)
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Supercharged Cafe LS650
Reply #30 - 11/02/23 at 11:36:26

He indeed said that he had issues with contamination on the side of the lower fork..   Huh

IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 11/15/23 at 01:54:16

Allright.. so we are back at it.

Regarding the brakes..
As said earlier a new center for the disc is necessary. This will be done near the end of the build. I also want a new rim for the beltdrive..  the outer one,  to center the bolts better.   Smiley
This will be done together, and perhaps more things like these will pop up the coming time so then it can all be ordered at once. Cool

Also had a long talk with the builder about the bracket for the front caliper. He is a well known builder here in the Netherlands, and has many published builds in magazines but he usually works on Harleys. He has been doing it for 25+ years. The last bike was a build from the ground up starting with nothing, of which he has done many.

He is adament that it will work and is strong enough, and the weld is proper.  So I will trust him.  I have known him for many years and so far anything he has fabricated has never failed. Nor have I seen any of his custom builds fail.

The bike will not be ridden that often, and we'll make sure to check it regularly.

« Last Edit: 11/15/23 at 04:15:01 by DennyzfR6 »  
  IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 11/15/23 at 02:04:51

Parts have also come in..
It took a lot of searching to find a set that looks identical for clutch and brake.. (because symmetry  Cool) with a brake master that is small enough to work with the smaller front brake caliper.  Especially the latter was very hard to get a hold of. Multiple cancelled orders as they are no longer produced. It's a 15mm axial brembo master (PSC 15)

We'll have to see how this works out.. it might not..  but we'll see.
Also to keep the symmetry going,  the clutch will have to be converted to hydraulic. Again, we'll see how that works out.

IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 11/15/23 at 02:21:45

The release valve has come in aswell..
It has been pre-set to 14/15psi.   Now time to weld that into the plenum.

Work is also progressing on the drive for the charger.
Because we do not want the cover to warp, a steel fixation ring is created to keep everything in place. We do not want to use the stator for this, due to the heat and risk of damage etc.
It will be welded in small increments to hopefully not create any distortion.

The dimensions for the rollerbearing and the oil seal have already been machined into the bushing.

Will machine it down a little bit  Wink

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #34 - 11/15/23 at 17:40:44

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 11/20/23 at 01:36:58

A quick pic of a rear shock on the bike..  Cool

IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 11/20/23 at 01:46:32

Because we are waiting on parts to be fabricated for the drive of the charger, and also waiting on the inlet kelk etc.. we are making a start with the exhaust.
Because the bike is a bit of a show bike a new route for the exhaust will be created. It is closer to the head so we'll see about heat etc. Wrapping is an option.

It does not get that hot here in the Netherlands.. also we have higher octane fuel at the pump.. making excuses. We'll just have to see. Huh

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #37 - 11/20/23 at 09:55:21

DennyZ, this build is slick.  Lovin the header and of course the huffer.  The reservoir with the blowoff valve looks like a good idea.  I don’t know much about superchargers.  Does the blowoff have enough capacity to protect the blower in the event of an intake backfire?  Your gonna need a serious clutch to hold the power.

Very nice work.

Hey moderators, is there any reason why this build is in the Café?  Shouldn’t it be in Rubber Side Down?  Not complaining, just curious.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 11/21/23 at 05:03:57

@DragBikeMike

Thanks!
The blowoff valve should be big enough. I had a smaller one but with the backfire in mind I upgraded to a larger one. But this is based on the information from Savagebob here on this forum.

I have to mention again that he has a great topic on this forum where he has already performed a similar build with regards to the supercharger and that this was the inspiration for my current build.

https://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1372223359

So credit goes to him as far as the basics and the setup for the charger.  Smiley
The valve is a similar one he seemed to be using, I specifically looked for this.

IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 11/21/23 at 14:37:26

The work continues.
The shaft for the pulley has been machined. It looks great.. and very solid. Only thing is..  It sticks out of the cover a little too far in my opinion. (forgot to take a picture with the cover installed, will post tomorrow)

The cause of the total width has to do with the width/dept needed for the oil seal and the rollerbearing.

It also has to do with the width of the pulley itself. There is thicker part in the middle which can be machined down which will take off about 5mm.

Plus going to look for a 10mm rollerbearing insteady of the current 15mm. Some of the tolerances could be a little tighter aswell.

The goal is to bring the pulley around 10/15 mm inwards.

For now, a few pics:

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #40 - 11/21/23 at 17:53:51

I have to say, you have good taste in parts.  That intake is beautiful.  Well done.  

IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 11/22/23 at 04:25:51

ohiomoto wrote on 11/21/23 at 17:53:51:
I have to say, you have good taste in parts.  That intake is beautiful.  Well done.  

Thanks Ohiomoto!

IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 11/22/23 at 04:27:44

Oke.. here the pics as promised.

It is clearly visible that the pulley sticks out a little too far.  

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #43 - 11/23/23 at 17:19:12

Denny,

When you mention that you are considering a switch from a 15mm bearing to a 10mm bearing, I assume that you are talking about bearing width.  Do I have that correct?

If I understand correctly, you intend to use a roller bearing.  That’s seems like the correct way to go since the left side of the crank must be free to move right & left to accommodate the differences in expansion between the steel crank and aluminum case.  The right-hand main bearing also serves as the thrust bearing.  It keeps the crank located axially while the left-hand roller bearing allows the crank to move axially.  Your additional bearing will need to do the same.

Have you put any thought into bearing clearance and how it will work with the stock left-hand roller bearing.  The left-hand roller bearing has about .002” clearance by design.  You can move the crank up & down about .002”.

Next_to_Brg__002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #44 - 11/23/23 at 17:19:44

But if you move the dial indicator farther from the bearing.  The excursion increases to .003”.

End_of_Taper__003.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 23:21:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Supercharged Cafe LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.