Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Supercharged Cafe LS650 (Read 689 times)
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Supercharged Cafe LS650
Reply #15 - 10/29/23 at 01:42:23

Thanks all!  Grin

We are getting closer to the current situation, but still some other steps that we are already working on.

The start has been made for the drive of the charger.
A new bolt is machined to replace the flywheel bolt and will act as the driveshaft for the supercharger.

A bushing will be welded in the crankcase which will hold the oil seal and the rollerbearing. That is currently on the way.

The hole in the case has been centered and drilled.

IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/29/23 at 02:07:21

Next is the fabrication of a bracket to hold the new carb in place. It is currently underway. The challenge however, is how the apply an inlet filter or inlet kelk to the carb. Mainly because I want to keep the dept as minimal as possible.. and again. it has to look clean and with a bit of bling and not too bulky.

The bracket has to be connected to the frame, but also has to be removable to easily take off the carb and access other parts of the bike.
This is the current phase. It will have to be slimmed down a little bit more and be bent to go under the carb slightly. Hopefully this way the carb will seem to 'float' a bit more and keep everything as 'open' and 'light' as possible.

The current plan is to machine down an aluminium inlet kelk and weld it directly on to the bracket. And make it as shallow as possible. We will have to see how this works out  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 10/29/23 at 02:23:27

That is an impressive project.  Very nice work.  Please keep the posts comin.  I'm very curious to see the finished product and to hear how it runs.  I suspect the tuning will be a challenge.  Let us know how you deal with the carburetion, advance curve, boost, etc.

How many pounds of boost do you think it can handle?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/29/23 at 05:56:02

DragBikeMike wrote on 10/29/23 at 02:23:27:
That is an impressive project.  Very nice work.  Please keep the posts comin.  I'm very curious to see the finished product and to hear how it runs.  I suspect the tuning will be a challenge.  Let us know how you deal with the carburetion, advance curve, boost, etc.

How many pounds of boost do you think it can handle?

regarding boost etc.. The only knowledge I have is completely based off of Savagebob and his topic here on this forum.

So the goal is to run it at around 10 psi if possible.
I am not necessarily looking for major hp gains. It just has to function properly, be rideable, generate something extra and look the part.  Cool

IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/30/23 at 06:44:47

Parts are being created for driving the charger, so currently waiting on these.  Roll Eyes

Therefore I have been shopping to find some goodies for the bike.  As stated multiple times already  Roll Eyes  , one of the goals for the bike is to make ik look as nice as possible. So with this in mind...  Cool

It was quite a search trying to find Ohlins dual shocks that have the correct lengt for my application. With the correct look and would also still work with such a light bike as the Savage.

Basically I looked for the correct height with the lowest N/mm rate for the springs..  and corresponded this to which bike they are used for. Mainly checking the weight of the model.
After a lot of scrolling on the internet I landed on the Öhlins STX for a Kawasaki ZRX 400.

The preload can be dialed back quite a bit, and softer springs are available if it is still too harsh.  We'll just have to see.

They have been test fitted and it looks amazing! (did not take any pictures) Do need to make some small changes to the lower shock mounts on the bike.

During further fabrication solid rods will be placed on the bike to not damage the shocks. So it will be quite some time before they are back on.

The shocks were also needed to measure the available space between the seat and the tire on maximum compression because in between something will be fitted.  Wink

And with the arrival of the latter, we can also continue with the front brake project.
The original brackets for the brake will be removed.. and a new one will be fabricated.  Smiley

All the interesting and fancy stuff.. including SC and exhaust etc will be on the left side of the bike. So the side stand will be moved over to the other side of the bike..

An added benefit is that if any possible leakage might happen with the supercharger driveshaft coming through he statorcover (even though we are placing a seperate seal) this should help.

More stuff is about to arrive!

IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 10/31/23 at 11:28:55

Work on the front brake continues:

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #21 - 10/31/23 at 16:39:25

Bling bling!!  I wanted Ohlins on my Kawasaki, but just couldn't justify the expense.  They are very proud of their shocks... Shocked

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #22 - 10/31/23 at 22:53:53

I had a set of Ohlins once , traded them for a running RD250 , real nice bike.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 11/01/23 at 12:49:22

TheSneeze wrote on 10/31/23 at 16:39:25:
Bling bling!!  I wanted Ohlins on my Kawasaki, but just couldn't justify the expense.  They are very proud of their shocks... Shocked

True! But after some searching online I found a shop in Estonia (of all places) that was very reasonable priced. After some digging around it seemed legit. Also ordered the brembo caliper there. Saved me hundreds of euros. Shipping wasnt too bad either.  
Internet can be a wonderful place  Grin

IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 11/01/23 at 12:59:39

More progress on the front brake has been made  Grin
Also, new parts have arrived and we started on the exhaust..  but will save those updates for later.  Coming week will be very busy and don't know how much time I'll be able to work on the Savage.. so spreading out the updates  Wink

Shaved

Welded:

Slowly cooling down..

Tomorrow will be cleaning up the welds and polishing everything   Grin

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #25 - 11/02/23 at 04:26:00

I think it's all very nice for someone who says he has no manufacturing skills, and I think you do. Smiley

But when I look at the front brake that you are changing, I am a little concerned about safety when you soon tear down the roads with your Savage.

Let me tell you what I see:

Because you have created an opening here, the disc now only has 4 stable spokes left. I don't think that is desirable.  Undecided

For example, if I look at a Ducati monster 600 the disc has 10 stable spokes.

Smiley

And now I see your brake caliper suspension, and it's being pulled instead of pushed. And then I look at the forces that arise there.

The arrow represents the braking force.
If only A were there, you would have lost the caliper after 1 braking attempt. Because A bows.  Exclaim

So all the force is largely exerted on B. And you had welding done there, so there are welding stresses there.  Exclaim
The plate you are using seems to me to be no more than 10mm / 8mm? Exclaim

The metal most susceptible to metal fatigue is aluminum. Aluminum tends to fatigue quickly when subjected to repetitive loads, such as alternating stresses or loads that vary cyclically. This is because aluminum has a relatively low fatigue limit compared to other metals, meaning it is prone to developing cracks and structural degradation with repeated loading.

I wonder what would happen if you stirred the oxygen tanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bti9_deF5gs

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
DennyzfR6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 11/02/23 at 07:16:51

Thanks for your comments..  extra input is always welcome  Smiley

Regarding the disc.. I was wondering how long it would take untill some would speak up regarding this. I have the same worries about it..  and a new center will have to be cut later on before riding actually starts as I am not comfortable with how it currently sits.

But with the regards to the brake bracket, I was not really that concerned. But you do have a valid point. I still think it will be oke but will still discuss. Maybe a new design is necessary

The plate is 10mm thick..    
I will discuss your points with the guy that helps me out. He is the fabricator. Not everything is done by me. Especially the welding etc. He has build a lot of bikes in the past from the ground up so he knows a thing or 2 about what works and what doesnt.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 11/02/23 at 08:12:41

zev is right about the bracket and his concerns are compounded by the weld as you need to reduce the margin of strength by an additional 20%.

If this is going to be a hardly ridden show bike, then it's fine, just take it easy on that front brake.

If I were doing it, I would've doubled the distance from the fork to the caliper and extended the material above the braking force line.  this would eliminate the bending forces from the bracket.  and minimized the stresses to the weld.

WWW   IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #28 - 11/02/23 at 08:54:38

I am not very comfortable with the look of that weld.  At the top of that bracket, the fillet cross section is much smaller than the bottom.  The top of the bracket will be taking the most load.  The other thing I see is, for an aluminum weld, it looks pretty dirty.  Aluminum is one of the more difficult metals to weld, and it can never be too clean during weld prep.  Impurities affect the weld internally as much as externally.  I would bet if that weld was x-rayed it would look like swiss cheese inside.

I ran a metal fab shop for 24 years.  I certified four of my five welders for aerospace welding, and we were welding on Patriot missile parts for Raytheon.  I have a lot of experience with weld processes on a lot of different metals. Not trying to be an armchair quarterback, but I would cut that off, grind all the metal back, reclean the surfaces to be welded, and start over.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #29 - 11/02/23 at 10:50:44

Welding cast aluminum is always more difficult than rolled aluminum. It contains much more contamination, also in the form of trapped gases. You must, as it were, first degas the cast part with your flame before adding a welding rod.
But that puts a lot of heat into the part and I think the welder was afraid of distortion and sagging.

I would have attached the brake caliper to the original mounting points using an adapter.
Then the leg will not deform and nothing will get stuck.

But a must say, the desing looks very nice... Smiley

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 18:41:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Supercharged Cafe LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.