Send Topic Print
Spring Fever (Read 2613 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Spring Fever
Reply #120 - 08/06/23 at 12:30:19

Was talkin with a buddy , he said he wants my SR500. I’ll have to finish it , tires some hoses ,timing and jetting ,maybe some polishing too. In return I may getting his 1971 BSA 500 Gold Star (I wanna say last year built) and my 71 BSA Victor 250 back. I’m really after the 250 for a build for me , but  the 500 might get built , I’ve never even seen the 500 in person. It supposedly very complete , I know Several BSA people in UK so most parts should be easy but $$ to obtain. Oh possibility of 3 Bzers in my garage , very cool.  I may sell the the flat tracker & 500 but the 250 has to stay. That bike was bought from a friend who has passed since then and I need to build that bike , I need to ride it again. It will be a special build , something for a Sunday morning ride. Therapy,Therapy,Therapy,Thump,Thump,Thump it will repair me in a broken place.

« Last Edit: 08/06/23 at 23:15:04 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #121 - 08/08/23 at 12:38:18

My buddy who wants  my SR500 hasn’t ridden in 5 yrs and the SR will be a perfect bike for returning to two wheels. I don’t know much about any health issues he might have , but if he is willing I’m just the guy to give him the nudge he needs to ride again. If he can start it without issues he’ll be riding a vintage thumper along side my tracker. He doesn’t live far from four corners & Alice’s restaurant. The tracker is nearing that ripe old age of 30 in a few years it will be vintage too. The BSA done or not comes off the table this winter , tracker gets forks rebuilt and new tires , then SR gets center stage , ‘it’s been completely rebuilt but it has sat for 24 yrs. Like I’ve said before I need another lift table , think I might when my BSA 250 arrives.
Somehow I feel it important that I get him riding again , want him to experience the rebirth of riding down the road , what he is missing ! It is what I consider to be deep therapy for the soul , I just want to see him get his share too ! We will ride again !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #122 - 08/09/23 at 10:41:50

So now that I’m retired I’m gonna need a smaller motorcycle that can go anywhere , a scrambler of sorts. Small in 300-375 lb range , get good fuel mileage , handle fairly well and of course have a happy button , lower seat height is preferable but not a deal breaker. Price is important but as long as I get what I want I might be willing to pay up a bit. At times I wish the tracker didn’t look so nice so I could take it trail trimming . Not really after a Dual purpose , wanting more scrambler. Always preferred Triumphs and BSAs handling , super stable on the road. Something I can hang some small saddlebags on for errands in the area , ride rather than drive saves fuel not driving my trucks. I got the tracker for raising hell , so it doesn’t have to be a powerhouse  , idk , something fun & different. Ok , I might buy a cookie cutter bike and try to blend in as opposed to raising hell downtown on a flashy little hood rod. A bike you would walk right by and not take a second look at it. My stomach just started flipping over & over , that’s not gonna happen , all my bikes are worth a second and third looks. Not my style , it may blend in but it will be worth a second peek. I’m a bit different ,  I’m not MM , I won’t give it away before hand , I’ll make sure it a surprise !
BSAs & Triumph & Honda are not here yet , so that narrows my choices , RE is a possibility. Oh the important part , it has to be tough ! Cause this bike will be trashed & abused , ridden over anything , rode hard and put away wet. It will get timely oil changes but after that , treat it like an old pinto station wagon used to haul hay ! It will be more of a tool than a toy.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #123 - 08/09/23 at 11:06:02

Hay Ruttly

I like the looks of that Triumph 400 scrambler , but ridding double (in comfort) is one of the requirements I need to meet.   I also like the price of the RE-Hunter and the thing about it not having a speed limiter .   I can have two bikes if nessary !  Smiley

My local Triumph dealer told me January when I asked about sitting on the Scrambler.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #124 - 08/09/23 at 21:21:17

Ruttly wrote on 08/06/23 at 12:30:19:
Was talkin with a buddy , he said he wants my SR500. I’ll have to finish it , tires some hoses ,timing and jetting ,maybe some polishing too. In return I may be getting his 1971 BSA 500 Gold Star (I wanna say last year built) and my 71 BSA Victor 250 back. I’m really after the 250 for a build for me , but  the 500 might get built , I’ve never even seen the 500 in person. It supposedly very complete , I know Several BSA people in UK so most parts should be easy but $$ to obtain. Oh possibility of 3 Bzers in my garage , very cool.  I may sell the the flat tracker & 500 but the 250 has to stay. That bike was bought from a friend who has passed since then and I need to build that bike , I need to ride it again. It will be a special build , something for a Sunday morning ride. Therapy,Therapy,Therapy,Thump,Thump,Thump it will repair me in a broken place.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #125 - 08/10/23 at 09:28:50

Any word on the RE 650 Meteor ? They just sell it everywhere but here !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #126 - 08/10/23 at 10:20:03

The ‘71 BSA Goldstar 500 has the same engine as the 500 dirt bike made during the late 60’s & 70’s.  The original Goldstars last year was ‘63.

About 6 months ago there was a ‘71 BSA Goldstar 500 up for sale on eBay, in the Dallas area, for $5000, less than 10k original miles and looked really good in the photos.  I was sorely tempted.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #127 - 08/10/23 at 20:02:08

Hay Lancer , how about that New Gold Star ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #128 - 08/10/23 at 23:30:37

You should get it Lancer , my stable is full up. I just scored a 97 Savage minus the front end. Absolutely no history it’s been sitting for years. Not crashed , a friend bought it for the front end for his GT500. So yup I scavenged the rest of it for a future project. Pretty sure I got more projects then Sneeze now for sure. Savage just fell in my lap , but it’s all the way across town at least 8 minutes away. My BSA 250 is a 100 miles away and still have to go collect it.  I have a 1986 Honda Reflex TLR200 for sales too. Need to make room.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #129 - 08/11/23 at 00:48:29

That 97 has no bars , tank or seat(s) , carb may be missing too , not a good sign. Even if it’s trashed I’ll have all the electrical and a swingarm and engine cases , I have lower half of a frame and a spare to cut up. Also have a spare SR500 frame too , stuff from the warehouse. Top half of a SR frame and lower half of a Savage. Dr. Frankenstein will be proud the Yamazuki !
Yes I can totally ruin two motorcycles at once. Just stop me before I give birth to a Bsaha or a Bazuki ! Think I got this retirement stuff down ! Going to gut the garage to make more room. Didn’t really need it but I couldn’t say no. As much as the Savage is a turd , it polishes up well and they are fun to build and ride. No tellin what I might build.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #130 - 08/11/23 at 10:29:04

You are just going totally wild with your newly acquired “spare retirement time” of late, you may need some professional mental health One-on-One time to sort out these unfettered urges of yours.
This is not uncommon for folks who experience the uncontrolled rush of sudden freedom from retirement.
Of course, when one is also burdened with an uncontrolled fanaticism for BSA’s, that will complicate any effort to Control Thyself.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #131 - 08/11/23 at 10:32:39

MMRanch wrote on 08/10/23 at 20:02:08:
Hay Lancer , how about that New Gold Star ?  Huh

I am intrigued with the new Goldie.  It has good power but is a bit on the heavy side.  I will need to see it and ride it before making a decision.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #132 - 08/11/23 at 10:36:15

Ruttly wrote on 08/10/23 at 23:30:37:
You should get it Lancer.

It has not been relisted so I assume it was purchased by someone.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #133 - 08/11/23 at 20:53:50

Nonsense , I was lucky I had enough left , to walk out the gates. If I don’t dive in head first to my number one passion I may not survive. I have many that need finished and a few are total project , but that’s what I do. I need to stay busy. Garage hasn’t been really cleaned since before 2018 , so it needs a good goin thru and then maybe a second lift , sell a few ,  build a few. It a healthy normal thing for me , ok , I’m sick and I can’t stop , totally normal. That’s how that tracker came to be , absolutely  out of control. That’s how I roll !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #134 - 08/12/23 at 04:47:05

Do you have a cruise speed ?

IP Logged