Send Topic Print
Spring Fever (Read 2567 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Spring Fever
Reply #390 - 04/07/24 at 08:49:57

So I got frame on the workbench , tank , seat , side covers , engine is bolted in. 2 header pipes , 3 mufflers and determined to not use stock muffler. Only combination that fits real good is oem stuff. So put all that away and start from scratch. BSA parts surfin as usual and found a NOS BSA C15 down swept chrome header. Even has tape on it from the sixties with Bob Chaves BSA/YAMAHA dealer from San JOSE , CA and phone number doesn’t have an area code. C15 is an earlier 250 , so it’s a gamble if it fits but it is the correct diameter. So much prefer a down swept pipe , all but my trials bike have down swept pipes. I’ll have to be very creative on this part , exhaust is huge part of the styling. Has to be clean , has to be era   correct or be so different you won’t be able to tell if its era correct. This will be a task but will also make it pop when done if it looks like the vision in my head. Intake will be easy , longer carb studs for finned carb spacer with a new WASSELL carb with aluminum velocity stack with a Uni foam air filter. Spacer & carb fit perfect while stack & filter will be shrouded behind side covers , no problems there lots of room , looks fantastic. I’ll be happy if exhaust looks as good as the intake. Using a 30 mm carb , up from a 28 mm. Head has been ported  so a better flowing exhaust & bigger carb should help the little thumper  get down the road with a bit more confidence. Fabrication & welding not my high points but I have no fear moving forward that this bike will be freakin Kool ! Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #391 - 04/08/24 at 11:10:09

Not doing so well , exhaust is taxing my imagination. Went from being a black kinda oem/vintage to totally new (nos) chrome header with a chrome muffler. Only reason I’m stressing is once exhaust is done and fitted then last round of powder coat can go out. By then wheels will be done. Yup , it’s getting closer to a roller ! I’ll finish intake side today. Stack of boxes that hold finished sub assemblies is growing. Just the thought of it being a roller gets my heart pounding. It’s very busy at the Spring Fever Garage !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #392 - 04/09/24 at 01:42:08

Intake is mostly done. Replaced stock studs with 2 1/2” studs trimmed to 2 5/16 , 1” thick aluminum finned carb spacer , new 30mm Wassel/Amal , 3” polished aluminum velocity stack & a 3 x 4 Uni foam filter. The set up is a bit long but it touches nothing and has good clearance. With the filter removed and at wot you can look thru it all and see the intake valve. One long straight shot right into the cylinder. The finned spacer is for a 26mm carb , so I got to hog the hole out just a bit to 30mm , then the intake side is  done. Back at the exhaust , have an idea for the baffle. It’s not gonna fab itself up for me !

« Last Edit: 04/09/24 at 09:51:59 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #393 - 04/09/24 at 10:34:23

I’m waiting to see how much welding will be needed. Building a support for a new gate and any fab work for exhaust. PIA getting welder out and set up so I try to cluster all the welding projects together. Saves a lot of time and cleanup time too. Wish I had a lathe , no , cause then I would want a mill too. No room for all that. I think I do just fine with what I have. It shouldn’t be too easy , your blood , creativity , sweat , failures  all add up to the sum of your labors and then you get to ride it , just doesn’t get any better than that. I don’t build for recognition , I simply want to ride what I build. No better appreciation than stepping back and gaulking at your own bike and no matter how hard you try to control it , here it comes that wave of pride crashes over your head and washes the build away , TIME TO RIDE !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #394 - 04/11/24 at 11:45:23

Header pipe I bought is badas$ but will require some modification. My instinct was right to abandon stock setup completely. The down swept header pipe is so sexy over stock oem  , doesn’t block side view of engine. The half pint thumper has a wonderful shape to it and getting that oem header out of that picture does it wonders. While it doesn’t quite fit , it is the perfect bend super sexy just need it to go under the right foot peg lug on the frame. So I’ll cut this nos vintage header as a sacrifice , a show of dedication and resolve. Cut and add in a section , design a lower support , fab a baffle to fit inside muffler. Muffler will clamp on for easy replacement. Down swept pipe has a much straighter/easier bends for a less restrictive path. All it is , is a bent pipe , no flanges , so when my  prototype is done  I’ll have one bent to match  out of one section of pipe and then have it chromed !  A phototype to continue building  and eventually a custom one off  chrome header for a finished  bike. Way too much effort ?  Maybe  !  But it will be a defining part of this build.  Much of the build was to keep as much oem as possible ,  but here is where that ends. With a custom intake side and a ported head the exhaust side must perform as well. However it is my intention  to have a chrome exhaust with  real sexy bends that might be mistaken for a oem header. Cam is  the personality ,  it defines what your engine is capable of , so max rpm is set by it. Since  I’m not changing it , I only have carb & exhaust  to  gain throttle response.  Think I got it covered. Yeah when you start the build it’s all you but as it goes on it always begins to take on a life of its own. As if we’re bigger than you and now it’s telling you how to proceed. I may be hella sick but I’m in my element and recognize when  I’m no longer in control. Might be where I do my best work.
Stop thinking and mulling over it , let it tell me what’s next.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #395 - 04/11/24 at 16:12:41

As bad as I want to ride this bike , if it takes a year to get  the exhaust perfect it will be worth the wait. Seriously something wrong in my head. Just put a collar and a leash on me , let the build take me for walk. It’s leading me down the road to Perfection !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 19:04:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Spring Fever

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.