Engine replacement (Read 336 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Engine replacement
Reply #30 - 12/04/21 at 23:32:34

Howzabout this beauty.  This could have been some other foreign object that went through the mill, but it sure smells like a timing issue.

Balancer_Timing_Failure_eBay_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 12/04/21 at 23:34:21

You can clearly see where Blake's connecting rod clobbered the balancer weight.

BlakeEM_Balancer_Shaft.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 12/04/21 at 23:37:18

Here's an eBay example where you can see some tell-tale evidence that the rod hit the balance weight.

eBay_Balancer_with_mark_key_OK.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #33 - 12/05/21 at 00:12:37

I think we can all appreciate the seriousness of these failures.  Try and picture your butt planted on your Savage, doin a sweet 70 mph on the interstate, and this balancer baloney decides to rear its ugly head.

The front of your engine blows out along with a whoppin gusher of oil.  You run over the razor-sharp parts and at the same time slather up the rear skin with a generous helping of Rotella.  I'm havin nightmares already.

So, I plead with you to tell us more.  I know your current focus is on that sweet new motor, but please try and figure out exactly what happened to your old motor before you do the engine swap.  It will be a great project, interesting, fun, and gratifying.

You will have to get that balance shaft out of the way before you can pull the mill out of the frame.  Grab ahold of that thing, yank it out of there, and break out your phone.  Take some pics.  See if you can see the drive pin.  Can you tell if the drive pin is in place or is it adrift?

Try to rotate the drive gear with your fingers or a screwdriver or something.  Can the gear turn independent of the crank shaft?

Your left-hand balance shaft bearing looks fine.  How about the right-hand bearing?  Is it OK too?

Check the drive key on the driven gear.  Is it sheared off?

Ya gotta remove the exhaust system to get the engine out of the frame.  That's half-way to gettin the clutch-cover off.  Take off the clutch-cover.

How does the primary drive gear nut look?  Are the corners folded over, like it was over-torqued?

See if you can remove the primary drive gear and cam drive sprocket.  Is that cam drive sprocket fractured?  

Your balance shaft driven gear (the one with the springs) looks like it might be broken in half.  Is the balance shaft drive gear broken too?

I guess it's conceivable that these failures might be somehow related to the cushion springs in the driven gear.  If those springs fail to keep the gear and weight phased within acceptable limits the rod and weight might collide.  Are all the springs accounted for?  Any broken springs?

I thank you again.  Sharing this info could save someone's hide.  I think we need to figure out what makes this failure tick, come up with a periodic inspection, possibly a way to prevent it from happening.  Maybe a way to capture the pin.

Best regards, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #34 - 12/05/21 at 07:05:00

As always, great analysis Mike.

If nothing else, for people shopping for used S40, they should take heed when they hear “engine recently rebuilt”. The mechanic could have assembled a time bomb.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ludolalo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 12/05/21 at 14:54:47

I can't move anything by hand, I will be keeping in touch with my progression but I can tell that it is going to be long. I basically don't know anything about engines. It also is my first bike, so I haven't been in touch with motorcycles before now. It is going to be my winter project and I am reading carefully what you guys are writting.

I honestly don't really know where to start. I am at the point where I emptied to fuel tank and now I am looking for a way to stabilise the bike. probably will put a bloc of wood underneath the frame.

Thanks a lot for the help. I will be filming everything that I will be doing when I will start to take the bike apart to access the engine.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #36 - 12/05/21 at 16:15:57

Get a ride-on front wheel chock. It’s how I store my bike in the garage and it’s great for maintenance.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #37 - 12/05/21 at 18:15:06

$70 at Harbor Freight.  Get a couple of tie downs to keep it stable while you wrench on it.  

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #38 - 12/05/21 at 18:18:36

Also, I have seen people laying the bike on it's side when it comes time to remove/install the engine. I think they leave the engine on the floor and lift the frame off.  I'm guessing the wheels and possible suspension were removed.  I don't remember exactly.  Maybe someone on here can explain it better.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 12/05/21 at 19:59:42

ohiomoto wrote on 12/05/21 at 18:18:36:
Also, I have seen people laying the bike on it's side when it comes time to remove/install the engine. I think they leave the engine on the floor and lift the frame off.  I'm guessing the wheels and possible suspension were removed.  I don't remember exactly.  Maybe someone on here can explain it better.

I've done it that way, leave the wheels on, remove the belt and all the mounting brackets.
Tip it over with a piece of carpet under the engine, remove the last couple of bolts connecting the engine to the frame, wiggle it free and lift the bike off the engine.

You can install it the same way in reverse.

But I've since gotten a chain hoist and find that much easier.  and you can lift the whole bike with it.  very handy for getting that wire in the right location under the bike.

WWW   IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #40 - 12/05/21 at 21:44:42

I went a bit above that and bought the Harbor Freight bike lift.  Sorry, but us retired folk need to give our backs a rest!  This thing has been worth every penny since I am already on bike #2...

20211022_1552131_001.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #41 - 12/06/21 at 06:07:15

As long as we are showing off bike stands...I made this from 3/4 plywood and 2x2 for the platform, and 6x6 for the legs. It sits about 16" off the ground and I use a ramp (for getting bikes in/out of my p/u) to get bikes on and off. It measures 24" x 72". I had all of the pieces on hand, I only needed to buy the wheel fork from HF ($15) and 4 tie-down rings.

IMG_2957_1.JPG

IP Logged
Ludolalo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 04/08/22 at 07:21:42

Hello savage community,

So, couple of months later and I've finally begun to work on that bike.
That big centered screw looks stripped. Could that be a hint to know what happened to the engine? Almost over removing the broken engine.

Have a nice day everyone thanks for all your posts.

Ludo

277231494_457840682805486_2875222447852650518_n.jpg
  IP Logged
Ludolalo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 04/08/22 at 07:22:32

almost there

277916185_999126181042725_8532677727078296578_n.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #44 - 04/09/22 at 00:22:32

Thanks for keepin us in the loop Ludo.  Looks like this will be a great project for you.  I suspect you will feel pretty darned good when you have that hotrod back on line.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 18:00:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.