Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor (Read 1176 times)
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Re: Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor
Reply #90 - 10/03/22 at 17:58:41

Yeah, I'm as dumb as I look. I will have to fix that cable first thing! I can't really think of a way to keep it attached to the carb top though.

Second jet:

IMG_20221002_1911370523.jpg

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #91 - 10/04/22 at 05:10:28

Mike, you are awesome!   I’ll take a few pics later today and share.  Really appreciate the additional info on the #35 jet.  I was thinking it might be too lean given it’s the smallest jet available. I’ll go with it and the clip in the 4th slot.  My jets are scheduled to arrive today (I got a kit of 40 pieces for $14.99 - what could possibly go wrong, lol. 10 of those jets aren’t compatible, so 30 jets.)

Yazman - double check and make sure the bead on the throttle cable is fully inserted into the contraption holding it in the slide.  It should be seated all the way down that contraption.  Make sure the nylon retainer is seated all the way down with the notch in the groove.  I had to use a small screwdriver to persuade the bead into its slot and persuade the nylon retainer completely in.  I’m not getting 1/4 inch of free play in the exposed  cable length and we did the same hack.  Are you adjusted completely out on the throttle cable adjuster on the throttle end of the cable?  I’ll look at mine again and send a few pics.  If the throttle cable adjuster is all the way in, there is plenty of thread to back off and thighten/remove the 1/4” free play.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #92 - 10/04/22 at 06:56:56

I used a couple of small zip ties on the dust boot to help secure it.  It really shouldn't be necessary if the cable is adjusted correctly and the cable housing is completely trapped.  The dust boot fits very snug on the elbow.  Don't use any lubricant, just wiggle and fight it into position.

cable_secured_at_carb.jpg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #93 - 10/04/22 at 07:00:23

With the cable adjuster all the way in at the throttle, this is how much exposed cable I have and you can see it relative to the spring length.  The spring is right at 3" long in resting position and the exposed cable is about 2.75".

sping_vs_exposed_cable_lenght_before_adjustment.jpg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #94 - 10/04/22 at 07:08:41

This is the slide wide open.  To get the slide to open completely (WOT), I adjusted the cable by about 1/3" at the adjuster.  You'll know when is right, when the slide bottom is flush with the top throat.

slide_wide_open.jpg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #95 - 10/04/22 at 07:36:05

Here's a pic of the throttle cable adjuster and the amount of adjustment I needed to get the slide to fully open.  Yours may be a little different depending on how much your cable may already be stretched.  My bike has about 14k miles and the cable has very little stretch if any.

adjusted_cable.jpg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #96 - 10/08/22 at 06:46:49

I wanted to share an update on my PWK40 installation.  Below are some pics of the 'final' installation.  I need to make a final adjustment on the offset length of the carb air boot that connects to the air box.  If you look at the stock air boot, you'll notice it's slightly curved (banana bend) with the top and bottom being slightly different length.  For this modified boot, I bought an 8" long 2.5" ID silicon hose - it needs to be cut to about 5.25" on one side and maybe 5.5" on the other side - this is the little tweak I need to make (measure twice, cut once - I should have done this instead of straight cutting it).  The 2.5" ID is about perfect on the air box side and carb side.  A pair of 3" max diameter worm gear clamps were used Note: these are 1/2" wide and work fine on this air box side of the carb.  On the spigot size of the carb, I would strongly recommend staying with the 5/16" wide clamp that fits in the grooves of the spigot intake - this connection is critical to get the connection air tight.  I need to hunt down a 5/16" wide worm gear clamp with a 1.75"-2.00" diameter fit (hard to find without paying a small fortune, the 1/2" are readily available in the plumbing dept of any hardware store).

Silicon Hose:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393811095125

A couple notes/tips.  It's running very good with #35 primary and #140 main jets with the e-clip in the 4th slot.  I am 2.25 turns out on the air/fuel mix screw.  It's a crispy lean at 2.0 turns out and the rpms drop a tiny bit at 2.5 turns out and the throttle loses some crispness.  At Houston sea level and temps finally starting to come down, I'll be revisiting this over the coming months.  Note: At 3 turns out on the air fuel mix screw, it starts to weep a tiny bit of gas at the screw.  This seems to be a design weakness in my opinion, but I'd still buy this carb again (carb is very good for the price).  Knowing this tells me to go up to the next primary jet size.  We'll see what cooler weather does - I may go to a #38 primary and move the e-clip up to the 3rd slot and maybe I'll be around 1.0 turns out on the air/fuel mix screw.  Photos below.  Overall extremely pleased with this aftermarket carb modification.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #97 - 10/08/22 at 11:55:23

Thanks for the update Paul.  Sure would like to see those photos you mentioned.  Glad to hear that it runs good.  After riding it for a while let us know how it's goin.

You have probably seen Sneezy's latest post on his two PWKs.  Can you tell us if you ordered a 38mm PWK or a 40mm PWK?  Your's does not appear to have the removable needle jet.  The fixed needle jet (like yours) is a standard configuration that utilizes the long Keihin main jet.  Sneezy's has the removeable needle jet that requires a special short main jet (like Duderino's).  I believe those were billed as 40mm.  Would be good to know if the removeable needle jet is something unique to the 40mm or if it's a crap shoot.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #98 - 10/08/22 at 15:18:53

Thanks.  I’ve been in contact with TheSneeze and he’s been extremely helpful like you.  I came up with this concept idea well after you did and major kudos to you!  The needle jet is removable, but it’s a bit funky - at fully tightened it still has 2-3 screw turns left.  I thought it was wrong, but left it alone. It is weird though.  I need to take a good ride, but garage testing is giving me good vibes.  I’ll update more later.  Hopefully you can see my pics now.  I had to take a break and help my daughter with some plumbing issues.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #99 - 06/11/23 at 07:33:18

Hey Mike.  Thanks for redirecting me back to this post!  I couldn't find it to save my life yesterday.  I've bookmarked it now!  Ok, so now I've read back through this thread and I was happy at #35 and #140.  Humm...  So....what did I do that got me to #48 and #162...?  I installed the Jardine muffler.  Ahhh, the fun started...  This seems like a huge jump in jet sizes for the muffler!  Something else is up...  I'm going to try a new intake manifold.  I think I see a small crack.  It doesn't seem to leak or be significant, but I want to try this with a new worm gear that I can clamp tight as hell.  When I installed the carb, I did buy a new stock clamp, but I'm not 100% confident it's fully clamping with it's limited range.  It's going to be over 100 degrees in Houston this week, so I'll dig into this rather than ride.  I'll take some pictures this time too.

This manifold has the part number you noted, but the ad says 42mm.  I'm thinking that's an ad mistake and it's really a 45mm flange. Dare me to try it?  lol   https://www.ebay.com/itm/314611834710?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-1171...

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #100 - 06/11/23 at 19:19:00

"When I installed the carb, I did buy a new stock clamp, but I'm not 100% confident it's fully clamping with it's limited range."

Paul, I'm 100% confident that the stock clamp won't work correctly.  I would definitely change it with the Ideal clamp that has more range.  I think the part number is specified herein.

The Mikuni manifold link you posted looks to be correct.  The PWK fits very tight in that particular manifold.  I actually prefer the stock manifold.  I make special adapters to tighten up the fit and then I epoxy them on the carb.   But the carb works fine on the stock manifold without the adapters as long as you use a clamp with more range.

Regarding your fuel mileage, I neglected to ask what size rear tire you are running, and what front pulley you are running.  Can you fill me in on those items?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #101 - 06/12/23 at 06:54:28

Thanks Mike.  I wanted to install the Ideal 5/16" wide worm gear clamp, but I couldn't find one anywhere in the right diameter (like 2.5" or 50-60mm).  Or I was going to have to wait like a month to get it and pay more for shipping than the clamp.  So I bought a stock clamp.  I'm guessing I may have gotten 1-2 good uses out of the stock clamp and now the thing won't clamp tight enough after being worked a few times and the bike has been bumped up and down the road and vibrated looser.  I can confirm that the connection is not as snug as I'd like it (I know this issue well from tinkering on little dirt bikes.  I should have suspected this earlier, but I think I get too anxious to get 'er back together and running to worry about it.).  

Why do you prefer the stock manifold?  I really don't want to get into adapters and epoxy.  If the Mikuni is nice and snug, why don't you prefer it?  I went ahead and ordered the manifold from a different seller with a  better description and it comes with a 5/16" worm gear clamp (probably really 8mm if from Japan or China). I'm inclined to use the new manifold and clamp instead of just hijacking the clamp and putting it on the existing stock manifold - but/so why do you prefer the stock manifold?  My idea for an adapter/gasket to fill the tiny gap at the carb/intake is to wrap electrical tape 2-3 rounds until it shoves in there tight!  Shocked  The stock manifold seems to be made of very hard/firm rubber/plastic (not very pliable or flexible or responsive to a clamp) where the Mikuni appears to be made of more flexible softer rubber that would respond better to torqued up worm gear clamp.

For the rear wheel/tire, I'm on a 140/90-15 Dunlop D404 (I guess you could pick up a couple mpg with a 130/90.).  I don't think the front pulley has been swapped out and I don't think the gear box has been tinkered with, but I can't confirm for certain.  I bought this bike for parts, but once I got it running with a new carb I decided to keep the bike.  I don't have any real history - just hunches.

Waiting for the manifold to arrive later this week.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #102 - 06/13/23 at 18:33:28

Paul, I prefer the stock manifold because it is robust, and it incorporates an o-ring.  The stock manifold flange is very rigid.  

I have had trouble with the Mikuni manifold for the VM carb.  It's soft and it bends.  It eventually gets to the point where you can insert a feeler gage plumb through the flange joint.

This is an example.

Manifold_Deformation_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #103 - 06/13/23 at 18:35:26

For both the VM and the PWK, I make a thin adapter sleeve that I slip over the spigot and epoxy in place.  This is an adapter for the VM.  It yields a perfect fit in the stock manifold.

Adapter_VM_ID_Anchor.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #104 - 06/13/23 at 18:37:02

This is an adapter epoxied onto a 36PWK.  Very simple, works great, never had a problem with one.

Spigot_Adapters_Installed_Typ.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 13:42:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.