Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor (Read 1172 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor
Reply #120 - 06/16/23 at 09:17:14

Mikuni manifold installed.  Shiny stainless steel 8.8 grade hex heads.  I’ve torqued to about 12 ft/lbs.  It feels and looks about right, but I want to verify torque spec if I can find it.  Generic internet info suggests about 11.8 ft/lbs for an M6 bolt/screw.  My manual is totally silent about the intake manifold.

IMG_2705.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #121 - 06/17/23 at 14:17:50

Mike, I went back through your photos.  I did the same thing with my cable routing with my modified stock cable.  Under the frame, like you said, like stock routing but I just did a poor man idea with a zip tie loosely attached to the frame.  No issues and keeps the cable off the head without binding the cable.

IMG_2708.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #122 - 06/18/23 at 11:32:10

ThumperPaul wrote on 06/18/23 at 11:10:44:
So here's the update.  I got her going and did some test riding this morning.

Installed #40 Pilot and #145 Main jets.  Air box cover removed.  Jardine exhaust.

I started at 2 turns out on the air/fuel mix screw as good middle ground to start from.  The bike started up fairly well on the first try after about 2 seconds of starter motor cranking.  I got it to idle at 1,100 rpm and took her out for a short ride.  After warming up, she almost wanted to stall sitting at red lights.  Went back home.  Dialed back the idle and found close to 800rpm. Adjusted the air/fuel mix screw to 3 turns out and that brought the rpms up to about 1050.  That was the best sweet spot I could dial-in and then I reset the idle at 1,100rpm.

I think I had an epiphany moment.  The air/fuel adjustment screw on the PWK40 is located upstream of the slide.  It meters AIR!  Turning it counter-clockwise leans the mixture.  Up until my epiphany, I thought I was enriching the mixture by turning it counter-clockwise (like the stock carb that has the mix screw on the engine side of the slide).  Can you please confirm this? I read it on the internet specific to a PWK carb (so it must be true - LOL).  I do recall this on some 2-stoke dirt bikes I've monkeyed with in the past.

Testing...  My first impression was that the exhaust tone was noticeably cleaner and crisper pitch (not as low and rich sounding).  Starting improved - it's almost instant and maybe 1 second.

Idle is smoother and steadier.  Riding pokey at 15mph in 1st is much more drivable and stable.  Same in 2nd at like 25mph.  Same for 3rd at 30-35ish.  Much easier to hold a steady speed at low/moderate rpm.

Midrange is good.  Acceleration is good.  Response is crisp.

I do have noticeably more exhaust crackle on deceleration especially when chopping the throttle from 3,500+ rpms.  Not terrible.  No kabooms, but you could probably make it happen with a hard chop at 5,000+ rpm.  I didn't try that.  Maybe next time.  My poof (dog fart) at shutdown is a little more pronounced, but not bad.  I kinda like it's little dog fart...

My only minor issue is a rich tendency if I twist for WOT hard and quick.  Power goes dull, sluggish, and flat but it doesn't quite stumble (it might do that next time).  Ease off the throttle a bit and she screams like a bat out of hell!  YeeHaw, hang on!!   It's a bit unnerving.  This condition really only happened in 5th when doing about 50mph and rolling on the throttle hard and quick.  Finessing up to WOT, it doesn't happen.  This is arguable operator error - dumping too much gas in there at too low rpm.
No vehicle likes that (that's why automatic transmission cars have auto-kick down when you hammer the pedal to the metal.  And I really didn't experience it in lower gears when I was getting on it pretty good.  I think I'm okay with it.  I'll just downshift to 4th if I want to go YeeHaw from 50mph.  It's like 100 degrees with 99% humidity in Houston these days.  So the bike is breathing as much water and dragon breath as air!  I suspect this condition will improve and diminish when we get some cooler/dryer air.  I'm not inclined to reduce the main jet size at this time.

Overall I'm very pleased.  The Mikuni manifold with tight clamp has solved my air leak and jumbo jet problem.  I need some more miles to check my MPG.  I did some idling, tuning, and some random riding testing so I won't know until I get some more normal miles on it.  I'm anxious to see if I am at 50mpg or better.  

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #123 - 06/18/23 at 23:21:11

"Adjusted the air/fuel mix screw to 3 turns out and that brought the rpms up to about 1050.  That was the best sweet spot I could dial-in and then I reset the idle at 1,100rpm."

Too rich, you should install a #35 pilot jet.  You should not be more than 2 turns out.

"It meters AIR! "

Correct.  The mixture screw controls air.  Turning it counterclockwise makes the idle mixture leaner.

"Ease off the throttle a bit and she screams like a bat out of hell! "

This is usually an indication that your main jet is too big.  I would install a #140.  Are the Jardine muffler and modified airbox the only other mods you are running, or do you have a cam, hi-comp piston, etc.?

Sounds like you are doing good.  It takes a bit of work but well worth the effort.  Hang on.

Cool

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #124 - 06/19/23 at 05:28:16

Thanks Mike.  I am considering a 38 and 142.  But I don’t want the kabooms to come back.  If I was more than 3 turns out, I would make the change right now.  Our air in Houston  is so hot and humid right now, I’m not inclined to go leaner with smaller jets as a seasonal tuning.  We’ll see.  I also want to check my gas milage over the coming days.  That might prompt me to jet down one size.

I’m not 100% certain there are no other engine modifications.  I bought it used with no real history.  It had the stock exhaust and no carburetor when I bought.  The stock exhaust makes me assume no engine mods were done.  I do sometimes wonder if the top end was overhauled and perhaps a different cam.  Thanks again for all your help! - Paul

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #125 - 06/21/23 at 11:32:22

https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/s40_boulevard/2006#:~:text=Based%20o....  I found this gas mileage study interesting. It has enough size to be a credible study, but the results are heavily skewed towards the dude’s bike that got 56.3mpg on 248 of the total study fuel-ups of 447.  One bike accounts for 55% of the study results.  If you equal weight each of the 13 bikes, the average drops to 47.5.  If you throw out the low (37.1) and the dude that only had 3 fill ups (41.2), the average is 48.72.

You can click on each bike/rider to see some detail.  City vs Highway and results by fuel-up, any mods, etc.  The graphs tell an interesting tale...they are all up and down like a yo-yo...  Different driving (city vs highway)?  People not filling up exactly the same at each fill-up??  Thought I saw a seasonal pattern for one dude...  Things that make you go..hmmmm...

I happy to report that I’m right at 48mpg and that includes some weird test riding during tuning.  I feel like I’m on par now with the PWK40.  I need to get some more fuel-ups, but I've definitely moved in the right direction.  Thanks again, Mike!  I still may try the smaller 38 and 142, but I want to check out and ride what I have going right now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 20:23:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.