Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie engine strip and rebuild (Read 36 times)
DaveP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbie engine strip and rebuild
06/19/23 at 13:21:00

hi All
Please be gentle with me as very new to this bike and mine has been modified as it is a RYCA cafe racer conversion.
I bought it as a runner and it goes ok, but there is a couple of rust holes in the down tube so I have stripped the bike down and the frame and all those rusty metal parts are off for blasting, welding and powder coating. Now time for the engine.
The decompression lever is not attached to anything and the bike starts ok. Is there any reason why the mechanism can’t be removed.
I read something about rubbish cam tensioner. How do I tell if it has been replaced.
The engine has been rattled canned black and it is flaking. I fancy getting it aqua blasted to get that nice statin finish. Is it a simple engine to work on. Is there anything I need to watch out for.
Are there any special tools required
Is there a good spares supplier.
I am UK based
Many thanks in advance.
Dave

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re:  Newbie engine strip and rebuild
Reply #1 - 06/20/23 at 03:09:57

Frame rusted through?  Wow, I have never seen one rusted that badly.  I guess you have that damp UK weather to thank for that.

Get a Clymer manual to aid in the work on the bike, as it has step by step instructions and photos/tables that are a great deal of help.

The decompression lever is likely not needed as long as you have a good battery and ride in warm weather.  I have a manual lever on my engine with a high compression Wiseco piston, and most of the time I never need to use the release.....however I don't ride in cold weather and I have a good battery.

Get a Versy cam plug to prevent a future oil leak, install one of TheSneeze hardened clutch cams, install a genuine Yamaha Raptor petcock to replace the vacuum operated one.  The Versy cam chain tensioner has an extended plunger with two holes and a dowel in a slot that prevents the plunger from over extending and coming out of the tensioner body.

(OPTION - while you have the engine apart you can install a Wiseco piston and a performance cam).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DaveP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re:  Newbie engine strip and rebuild
Reply #2 - 06/20/23 at 04:41:11

Hi Dave (great name by the way)
How dare you say the UK is wet    Grin
Yes down tube has 3 small hole in it and generally the whole frame and all the frame related bits are pretty rough. It is being blasted at the moment, so there may be more. Sad
The tins / wheels are in great condition.
Thanks for the input. It will be interesting to see what has already been done to the engine. It seemed strong and smoke free.
Not bothered about chasing performance. This one is toy for those odd summer days.
Hopefully it will be a simple rebuild. Famous last words
Thanks
Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 06:36:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie engine strip and rebuild

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!