Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor (Read 1176 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor
Reply #105 - 06/13/23 at 18:55:59

But as I previously mentioned, I have run the PWK in a stock manifold and it worked fine.  Just need a clamp with more range.  I'm also pretty sure the HS42 manifold you ordered will work fine too.  It's a lot beefier than a VM manifold.

I asked about your tire and gearing because they affect your odometer reading.  Since the lion's share of my testing was done with stock gearing and a stock rear tire, the mileage numbers I was posting are "Savage Miles".  If you put on a larger rear tire or a 25 tooth pulley or both, you are not registering the correct mileage on your ODO.

If you just have a 140/90 Dunlop 404, you should correct your ODO reading by 1.046 before you calculate fuel mileage.  For instance, if your ODO indicates you went 100 miles you actually went 104.6 Savage Miles.

If you are running the 140/90 Dunlop 404 with a 25 tooth front pulley, you should correct your ODO reading by 1.138 before you calculate fuel mileage.  So if your ODO indicates you went 100 miles you actually went 113.8 Savage Miles.

If you are running a 140/80 IRC tire with the 25 tooth pulley, the correction factor is 1.092.

Correcting the ODO reading will improve your mileage numbers a bit,  but at your current 40 mpg the refined calculation will still be too low.  Your fuel mileage seems way too low.  Perhaps when you get the manifold and jetting squared away the fuel economy will be there.  I've got a big motor with an inefficient pop-top piston and I never see anything less than 56 mpg.  It's almost always in the low 60s.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #106 - 06/14/23 at 06:30:26

Thanks Mike.  I’m going to make the manifold decision when I get the Mikuni and I can compare them side by side.  The stock manifold bore size isn’t terrible off with the PWK40, but it could be tighter.  I’ll probably just try the clamp first.  Very interesting on the odometer reading low with the 140/90-15.  And you’re right, even if I adjust I’m still only at 41-42mpg.  I’d be happy with 50mpg.  Parts coming this weekend.  Thanks again, Mike.  Oh, and how does "Drag Bike Mike" ever get 60mpg!!??  Downhill both ways?  Lol.

« Last Edit: 06/14/23 at 07:59:23 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #107 - 06/15/23 at 08:32:46

Hi Mike. I'm going to send a series of photos.  I'm waiting on jets, manifold, and clamp - so I wanted to get these out for observation and diagnosis in case there is something else weird before I start tinkering.  First photo shows evidence of air/fuel bypass at the clamp area.  I have 2 more photos of the other sides and they show about the same amount of bypass.  I have a strong suspicion this is why I have to 'jet up' so big to get the right air/fuel mix and poor MPG.  I think I'll just try the new clamp without the new manifold.
« Last Edit: 06/15/23 at 12:10:09 by ThumperPaul »  

Air_Bypass_3.JPEG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #108 - 06/15/23 at 08:34:47

Air Horn view.

Air_Horn_Side.JPEG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #109 - 06/15/23 at 08:37:43

Inside diameter of air horn side as best as I can manage holding the carb, camera, and meter.  OD measures about 63mm which matches the product description in the ad when I purchase.  The air horn is about 6mm wider ID and OD than stock.  I fabricated a piece of 2.5" ID (almost exactly 63mm) automotive turbo tube to connect the carb to the box.  It fits great at the air filter box and the carb with good tight clamps.
« Last Edit: 06/15/23 at 12:03:09 by ThumperPaul »  

Air_Horn_ID.JPEG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #110 - 06/15/23 at 08:49:50

I'm getting 39.8mm ID, but I call that user error/challenges holding everything for a photo.  We'll call it a true 40mm.  Note: the bore through the slide body and into air horn stays consistent at 40mm.  I couldn't get a tool in there but I was able to feel it being flush at the intersection with my finger and small straight edge razor.  It's a good 40mm through and through with no tapering down to 37-38mm.

ID_Venturi_39_8.JPEG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #111 - 06/15/23 at 09:02:01

The jets and float and other good stuff...  It has a removable needle jet and normal Keihin main jets work.
« Last Edit: 06/15/23 at 11:53:55 by ThumperPaul »  

Float_Jets.JPEG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #112 - 06/15/23 at 10:10:41

A view of the removable needle jet and main jet removed.
« Last Edit: 06/15/23 at 12:11:23 by ThumperPaul »  

IMG_2691.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #113 - 06/15/23 at 12:06:35

A pic of the slide, spring, and cable contraption.  I'm not taking this monkey off the bike or apart if I don't have to!!  What a bugger to get it together right (F-BOMB city)!

Slide_2.JPEG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #114 - 06/15/23 at 12:21:23

Intake manifold is in good condition.  I think I'm going to whittle off those little retainer/alignment ears used with the stock carb.  PWK40 doesn't need them and they want to come into contact with the carb body near the choke plunger.  I want to make sure I get the carb as far into the intake as possible and 100% square as possible.

Intake_Manifold.JPEG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #115 - 06/15/23 at 12:55:21

New Mikuni 42 manifold just arrived.  It is very robust. Nice quality.  I buy from NicheCycle when I can.  Usually very good quality and I’ve had great results on little Chinese dirt bikes with their stuff.  I'm going to just hijack the worm gear clamp for now.  As you noted, the stock manifold has an o-ring and I really don’t want to break the seal at the head (it looks good the way it is).

Mikuni_Manifold.jpg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #116 - 06/15/23 at 13:19:38

Oh man!  I just did a test fit with the new Mikuni manifold.  It is exceptional!    I think I’m going to have to go with it!  Slap a little high temp permatex on it!

IMG_2695.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #117 - 06/15/23 at 14:16:24

Ms Bones.
« Last Edit: 06/16/23 at 05:11:51 by ThumperPaul »  

IMG_2697.jpeg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #118 - 06/16/23 at 01:56:51

Wow Paul, thanks for all the pics.  Especially the shot of the removable needle jet.  Looks like they are on the 3rd iteration.  I'm very curious how this carb works with those emulsion holes in the needle jet.  Generally, placement of those holes is used to flatten out the fuel curve under WOT conditions.  Holes at top affect lower rpm while holes at the bottom affect higher rpm.  Pretty cool.

I also like the fact that this latest iteration utilizes a standard PWK main jet, unlike Duderino's.

I'm sure you will like that Mikuni manifold.  Doubt that you need any sealant.  And yes, that sucker fits tight.

Your stock cable installation looks ace too.

Thanks again for the pics.  Can't wait to hear how it runs.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #119 - 06/16/23 at 05:26:15

Thanks Mike.  Interesting info on the needle jet.  I had no clue.  Flattening the curve…. That’s pretty cool old school!  How about richer at higher rpm’s when you wann stay cooler and leaner at low rpm’s?  

The mounting holes on the Mikuni manifold are larger and oval and not round.  I’m going to get some larger washers and change out the screws for hex heads.   
« Last Edit: 06/16/23 at 13:49:41 by ThumperPaul »  

IMG_2703.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 05:38:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.