Retro Thumper project (Read 1996 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Retro Thumper project
Reply #180 - 02/23/24 at 19:37:57

Impressive all around!  Nice work Dave!  Can't wait to see it finished!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #181 - 02/24/24 at 03:29:09

LANCER wrote on 02/23/24 at 19:13:32:
What’s the seat like that’s coming from Vietnam ?

I am using a Suzuki GT550 seat.  A friend has a garage full of old motorcycles and I looked around and just couldn't find a seat that worked better than the GT550....which is also the fuel tank I am using.  I don't really like the "flat board" look of a lot of the modern factory or aftermarket seats.

The seat coming from Vietnam is a new seat for the GT550 without the chrome trim along the side.

The chrome grab rail and rack behind the seat is likely optional and was not on the bike as sold by Suzuki - I won't be able to use that as it mounts to the shocks and the Savage shocks are in a different location.  

1972-suzuki-gt550j_1.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #182 - 02/24/24 at 04:56:15

What was the cost ?  Seat + shipping ?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #183 - 02/24/24 at 05:49:29

LANCER wrote on 02/24/24 at 04:56:15:
What was the cost ?  Seat + shipping ?

$179 - It takes a month to get here!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115757951363?itmmeta=01HQDNZW29D6887495C2RE2VKF&hash...

The chrome trim one is a bit more expensive, and I didn't think the chrome added anything to my build.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115757963680?itmmeta=01HQDNZW29D9ME4RYEC3710WEH&hash...

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #184 - 02/24/24 at 06:33:44

Hinge the seat for easy access to what’s under it , wiring , carb & air filter.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #185 - 02/24/24 at 15:29:57

Today I worked on sorting through parts and getting things that go on this bike in a nearby box, and created a list of parts to order.

I also sorted through my wiring harnesses and found the best one.  I had one that was mostly junk, one that came with this theft recovery bike and had some wires cut, and I had a good wiring harness I bought many yeas ago from a parts bike.

I am looking to see where the battery, rectifier, starter solenoid, and other miscellaneous bits are going to be mounted - as I won't be using the stock airbox or battery box.  I also don't know what type or size of battery I am going to use.  The EarthX lithium battery in the Cafe' bike is still going strong after 12 years of service - so it is tempting to use that again.  The reason I am considering something else is that if I am out on the road and I have a battery fail - getting a replacement EarthX in a hurry is not likely to happen.  I may be better off with a more standard battery that I could replace at a dealer or even Tractor Supply, Autozone or similar stores.

I cut about a pound of electric stuff I won't need - decompression solenoid, side stand switch, clutch switch, sidestand relay, sidestand diode, decompression relay.  The stuff at the bottom of the photo is what was cut out of the harness.

IMG_3107.JPG

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #186 - 02/28/24 at 13:15:26

12 years and still goin strong, why would you consider any other battery?

Last time I tried to order a lithium battery they wouldn't ship to Hawaii.  I believe I could probably order from an independent shop.  Someday maybe I will try that.  I go through batteries like crazy.

The AGMs fail with absolutely no warning, so I buy the kind that come with a separate container of acid and keep a fresh spare all the time.  I like Harley Sportster batteries because I know I will always be able to find one (Walmart, AutoZone, dealer, etc.).  When my current battery craps out, I fill up the new one and swap.  What a PIA.  Can only dream about gettin 12 years out of a battery.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #187 - 02/28/24 at 15:40:46

DragBikeMike wrote on 02/28/24 at 13:15:26:
12 years and still goin strong, why would you consider any other battery?

Mostly because the EarthX is small - and if it craps out while I am away from home I likely won't be able to find anything to fit to get home.

I suppose I could do what a friend of mine did when the charging system went out on his bike.  He bought a car battery and strapped it to his luggage rack and extended wires to reach the original powers wires - and he unhooked his headlight to save power.  The battery kept powering his bike for the 10 hours or riding it took to get home.

I likely would not have to buy a car battery - but if I could not find a battery that fit in the box I could put it in the luggage and extend the wires.

I believe your are right as usual DragBikeMike......if I put in the EarthX both my bikes will have the same battery.  The battery is small and only weighs a bit more than a pound - so I could even carry a spare from the other bike if I was on a long trip and wanted some security......or I could just make and a set of cable extensions and pack them very easily.
https://www.batterymart.com/p-ltx12a-earthx-etx12a-battery.html?gclid=Cj0KCQj...

« Last Edit: 02/29/24 at 03:17:33 by Dave »  

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #188 - 02/29/24 at 11:41:22

Only $7.50 each if you buy 200 of them!  (plus shipping)

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Universal-comfortable-leather-seat-mot...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #189 - 02/29/24 at 13:35:09

ThumperPaul wrote on 02/29/24 at 11:41:22:
Only $7.50 each if you buy 200 of them!  (plus shipping)

Well that is a good price - but I would have 199 left over!

The seat may not be big enough.  I tried a seat from a Honda CB125S and the shape was nice - but it was too narrow to work with the width of the GT550 tank.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #190 - 03/01/24 at 17:50:58

I got my eBay purchased Yamaha XS400 brake pedal and footpegs bought and being shipped so I can copy Ohiomoto's footpeg setup.

Tonight I had a little bit of time before dinner and I was able to shorten and thread one of the 2 engine to frame bolts.  The local hardware store didn't have any metric taps - so it got threaded 3/8-16 US thread and a couple of stainless acorn nuts.  The bolts are pretty hard so a new threading die that was sharp helped a lot.

IMG_3129.JPG

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #191 - 03/02/24 at 04:55:56

Yeah I save those long bolts for shortening for projects. Both my BSAs have a bolt that passes thru both cradle tubes and engine , similar to the Savage. Nice chrome head on the bolt with some chrome or SS washers and a chrome acorn nut looks real slick.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #192 - 03/03/24 at 17:31:32

I was able to spend some time on the bike today.  I was close to 60 degrees and it was nice to have the doors open while working.

I made some tabs to weld on the frame, as I want to install a protective plate at the front of the frame to keep the front wheel from throwing crap on the engine cases.  Not so much because I plan on going off road - but just to keep the gravel and other crap from blasting the paint off the engine cases.

IMG_3136.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #193 - 03/03/24 at 17:32:23

I laid the bike down so that I didn't need to crawl under the frame to weld.

IMG_3135.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #194 - 03/03/24 at 17:33:31

It turned out that 2 tabs on each side was enough.  After welding I applied some etching primer.  I will paint the frame once all the welding is done.

IMG_3138.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 22:28:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Retro Thumper project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.