Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Retro Thumper project
Reply #210 - 03/07/24 at 03:35:04

The peg mount will be mounted something like this - however it is necessary to build another plate and mount it farther out to get the proper width and make room to mount the brake pedal.

I am wondering if it would be possible to make some round extensions that bolt onto the inner plate and then to the peg mounts......rather than building a second mounting plate?

IMG_3153.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #211 - 03/07/24 at 07:41:27

Isn't something that you're after available at a hardware store?  Plain sleeves?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #212 - 03/07/24 at 08:26:49

After spending a bit more time looking at this......the way Ohiomoto did it with an inner and outer plate is likely the best way.  It provides a way to mount the brake pivot, and also a gear shift pivot if it turns out I need one.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #213 - 03/07/24 at 11:06:00

I never tried anything like this.  How do you determine where you want the pegs to end up?  I have had several motorcycles over the years where the pegs were just a few inches too far forward or aft.  It made the foot placement awkward and uncomfortable.  How do you make sure they will be comfy before you weld everything up, or is it a case of take it or leave it?  I suspect the seat height and seating position play a big role also.

Looks like you are making good progress, and the finished product will be up to your usual high standards.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #214 - 03/07/24 at 15:57:51

I believe there is not a lot of room to move the pegs around....or at least not with using the XS400 pegs as donors.  I am trying to keep the pegs inward and as low as possible - the brake pedal pivot and exhaust header limit how far down you can go.

I have sat on my Cafe' and held my feet where I believe the pegs will end up, and it seems like a good location.  The full bench seat will likely be an inch or two higher than the solo Cafe' seat - and that will help as well.

If you look at the photo of my Cafe' bike rearsets on Page 1 of this thread, and then the footpegs on the Suzuki Tempter - you can see that Suzuki kept the pegs pretty far back when they made the Tempter - but they are about the same height as these will end up.  I believe I will be a few inches farther forward than the Tempter pegs.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #215 - 03/07/24 at 17:00:39

I had a pretty good day today - things went well and I didn't seem to make any goofs!  It does however amaze me how long all this stuff takes.

I spent a long time working on the size and shape of the plate that will hold the XS400 footpeg mount and brake pivot, and figuring out where the holes and extension tube to the inner plate will weld on.

I made a rough cut out of the steel, then drilled the holes for the peg bolts and the 1" diameter hole for the brake pivot.  At Tractor Supply I found a Category 1&2 hitch bushing that should work just fine as the brake pivot.

IMG_3159.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #216 - 03/07/24 at 17:03:23

I had to separate the brake shaft from the brake lever....I likely will fabricate my own lever to better fit the shape of the swing arm.

I put the shaft in my lathe and cut the weld down to be level with the arm.

IMG_3154.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #217 - 03/07/24 at 17:04:28

Once I had the weld cut down, I chose a socket that would fit over the shaft and support it while I pressed the shaft out.

IMG_3155.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #218 - 03/07/24 at 17:05:24

I put it in my press - and it took quite a push to get the remaining weld to pop loose!

IMG_3156.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #219 - 03/07/24 at 17:06:50

This shows the weld penetration that was not cut away when I trimmed the weld down to the surface.

It made a pretty good "BANG" when it finally broke.

IMG_3157.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #220 - 03/07/24 at 17:08:33

Next I had to machine out the ID of the bushing so the shaft would fit inside.

This is the first time I have ever done an interior bore like this, and it worked well!

IMG_3160.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #221 - 03/07/24 at 17:10:17

Now the shaft fits in the bushing.  I don't like the fact that they are both hardened steel and will be rubbing against each other.  In the final form I may turn down the shaft and create some kind of brass surface on the shaft.

IMG_3161.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #222 - 03/07/24 at 17:15:38

I am gaining so much respect for people that do this kind of work with basic tools like hand drills, hacksaws and grinders!  I used to work like that - but I have watched for good used tools at affordable prices and I am pretty well stocked up with some fancy tools - and I am learning how to use them.  It is hard for me to stay good at welding however - I can go years between welding projects and I lose the skills for nice pretty welds!  

After dinner I was able to cut the rough blank to the final shape.  The square with the "X" inside is where the 1" tubing will weld to the plate and attach to the inner mounting plate.

I have found that making a pattern on old file folder paper - then using spray adhesive to stick the pattern to the steel helps me see where to cut much easier than trying to follow a pencil mark or scratch on the steel.  My eyes are not seeing as well as they did when I was younger!

The bandsaw leaves a pretty rough edge, and the metal has a bit of rust and mill scale on the surface - so it needs some cleaning up.

IMG_3162.JPG

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #223 - 03/07/24 at 20:47:27

Thank you for taking the time to give us a play by play of your metal working project.  I so enjoy seeing what other folks think up, plan out, and then with a few raw materials and some tools, make it come alive (so to speak) and make it fit in with and look natural on the motorcycle.  
There are a number of folks who hang out in this forum who have enviable skills, and you are one of them.  

“But wait, there’s more!”

You are truly a kind person, and a good friend.

IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #224 - 03/08/24 at 03:33:19

Dave,
I enjoy reading this thread. Your cafe is a beauty of the kind that makes me think it could well have rolled off an assembly line, and I mean that in the best sense. I feel torn between bobber or cafe. I think cafe will win. Making pretty welds, I have the same problem. It takes not just talent but most immportant every day practice to make those stacked dime welds. I can't do it either, to my utmost frustration.  Argon costs around 70$ per hour, so the cost of practicing is not neglegtible either.

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 01:12:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Retro Thumper project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.