Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Retro Thumper project
02/21/21 at 04:45:14

A few years ago I built my Cafe' bike - it has been a lot of fun and I love it.  Although the small seat and forward lean does get a bit uncomfortable after an hour or two in the saddle - I can ride all day long with some stops along the way.  The thread for this bike build was unfortunately made pretty useless when TinyPic went out of business, and all photos were lost.  I will gradually repair that thread as best I can.

This is how the bike looks now - I have about 12,000 miles on it!

« Last Edit: 02/21/21 at 16:34:28 by Dave »  

Cafe_001.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Thumpin Standard project
Reply #1 - 02/21/21 at 04:50:33

I have started to build another bike that will have a bigger seat and a more upright riding position.  My goal is to make the bike more comfortable for long rides - so I can take it Touring and ride to the fun spots rather than towing the bike on a trailer when we have group rides in places far from home.  The new "Standard" style bike will have side cases and a rack for hauling my stuff.

I will build it to look a bit like the Suzuki Tempter which has the LS400 engine and was never brought into the United States.  The Tempter has a different frame and it is not my goal to make it "exactly" the same - but make it look similar like a 60's era British Single.

Tempte.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/21/21 at 04:55:34

This is what I have to start with.  The Savage is a theft recovery and has a salvage title.  When I bought it the fuel tank, key and a number of parts were missing - but I did get 2 engines!  The bike had been sitting outside but was not in too bad of shape.

In this photo I have already installed the Intruder rear shocks.  The seat is from a 1980 Honda CB125, the fuel tank is the same one I used on the Cafe' bike and is from a Suzuki GT380/550.  The front wheel is an 18" from my Cafe' bike - I am not exactly sure what wheels I will end up with - I may end up using the cast wheels so I can run tubeless tires.  I would like to be able to run the Michelin Commander tires so I can get a lot of mileage before I wear them out.  (I have had 3 sets of tires on the Cafe' bike in 12,000 miles).

IMG_7619.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/21/21 at 05:00:29

The engine will be modified a bit so that I can pull the double Kawasaki pulley conversion easily.  This gearing provides a more relaxed engine rpm for cruising - 3,500 rpm at 60 mph and 4,000 rpm at 70 mph.  I will do some head porting, a custom exhaust header and muffler, a Wiseco 97mm piston, DR650 cam.  I will likely run the stock carb so that I can use the stock airbox.

IMG_7620.JPG

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #4 - 02/21/21 at 07:28:38

Thanks Dave. The old posts are really hard to follow without the pics.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #5 - 02/21/21 at 08:09:03

Dave, you can still keep the airbox with a PWK or VM. The hose from the airbox to the carb will be too short and the diameter doesn't fit the carb. The fix for that is to turn that hose around backwards. What used to be the airbox end will fit the carb. Next you make a short spacer from PVC pipe that slips inside the airbox nipple. That diameter will fit the small end of the hose then.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 02/21/21 at 09:46:28

I’m very much looking forward to this build.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/21/21 at 10:13:43

Gary:

This is going to be somewhat of a slow build - as there really is not big hurry as I have plenty of bikes to ride currently.  This bike will likely be the bike I can ride as I get old and more feeble, as it will be under 350 pounds and have a low seat height.....it well could be that fossil fuel and recreational travel is illegal by the time I start riding this!  My goal is to have it pretty far along by the spring of 2022.

In many ways it will be similar to the Cafe' bike - but with a more comfortable riding layout.  The seat will have thicker padding, the pegs will be lower and farther forward, the handlebars will be higher and easy to reach while sitting upright. The fenders will provide better protection in wet weather - which is one reason I want to keep the stock airbox and not use a cone filter that is unprotected. The spoke wheels would look more proper on the bike - but I do want the ability to shove a plug in a hole in the tire rather than having to pull off a wheel and tire to patch a tube.  I also have a set of Givi hard saddlebags that attach to metal frames so they can be removed.

I likely will use a more conventional 7" headlight - the 8" on the Cafe' bike is cool....but it is not easily replaced if I am a long way from home.  My approach to the battery and other lights will be the same - use things are are readily available so that I can get replacements easily.  I will likely make and extra clutch and throttle cable in case I need a replacement while I am a long way from home.  

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 02/21/21 at 11:34:28

Very cool Dave , it’s great seeing a senior citizen whoops I meant senior member doing a build. Are you lowering the front end ? Changing foot peg location ? eBay has a array of aluminum tanks made in India for BSA Triumph, Royal Enfield , etc.  Not so sure about Thumpin Standard tho , maybe the SDS , the Super Dave Standard.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 02/21/21 at 14:18:46

I look forward to see your ideas form themselves.  We have similar physical structure though I’m heavier and I am altering the seat/bar situation a bit as well for more comfort.
I’m looking forward to the rides this year and maybe a little less sore this time.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 02/21/21 at 15:36:19

Ruttly:

Yep, the front end will get lowered.  I already have the top clamp that allows the fork tubes to be raised.  I do have to drill the holes for the handlebar mounts - I need to get the top clamp mounted and the handlebars I want to use.....so I know where to drill the holes for the mounts.  I am not sure yet if I am going to taper the holes to allow them to be mounted in rubber grommets like the stock handlebars.

I am going to use the GT550 tank.....it provides about 160 miles of range before reserve and 20 miles after that.

The footpegs will be up in the area near the middle of the engine.  I am not sure yet the method I am going to use to make the mounts.

I don't like the "Title" of this thread either.  My Cafe' bike was "Thumpin Special", and that fits as I even used a "650 Special" emblem from a Yamaha XS650 on the body side panels.  Since this bike is going to be in a more standard layout I thought to use that "STANDARD" term.....a previous member called his bike "Retro Standard".  So......Retro Thumper sounds better.  

Lancer:

My goal is to make a comfortable bike on this project.  My Cafe' and your Rex are fun bikes - but if I am going to try and cover 500 or more miles a day on a multi day ride and haul luggage - I need something different.  There is a group of fellows I ride with up here that has several guys who are in their 80's and they are still riding - and this may be the bike that allows me to do that.

The Savage engine is nice and smooth and relaxed in the 3,000 - 4,000 rpm range, and that is 50 - 70 mph in 5th gear with the double Kawasaki pulley conversion.  That is just perfect for cruising down the rural roads or local highways......and if necessary it will be able to get on the interstate.  When I go down to MM's house I can go all back roads and have an enjoyable and scenic ride and travel for 9 hours - but 100 miles on I-75 from my house to Mount Vernon, KY can take 2 hours off the travel time.  If I take a lot of interstate I can be there in 6 hours.....I do that route in my car or when I am in a hurry.  

« Last Edit: 02/21/21 at 16:37:31 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Rockn

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Retro Thumper project
Reply #11 - 02/21/21 at 18:42:14

Looking forward to this thread, I think my current project is on a similar path.  

I found out the hard way the minor difference in GT 380/550 tanks (assuming maybe different years). One has the petcock an inch or so further back, which meant I could use the stock petcock without hitting the head.

Thankfully the tank I bought that didn't work for me is in great shape and had a cap, which I'm sure you know what that's worth alone.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 02/21/21 at 20:01:04

Right now I’m changing rear fender, seat, risers and bars in search of the Illusive Upright Seated Position, widely known as “IUSP”.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 02/21/21 at 20:39:25

Dave wrote on 02/21/21 at 04:50:33:
I have started to build another bike that will have a bigger seat and a more upright riding position.  My goal is to make the bike more comfortable for long rides - so I can take it Touring and ride to the fun spots rather than towing the bike on a trailer when we have group rides in places far from home.  The new "Standard" style bike will have side cases and a rack for hauling my stuff.

I will build it to look a bit like the Suzuki Tempter which has the LS400 engine and was never brought into the United States.  The Tempter has a different frame and it is not my goal to make it "exactly" the same - but make it look similar like a 60's era British Single.

I love this version of the bike with the LS400/650 engine.  It could be a World Commuter Bike in this form.  A few updates with off the shelf suspension and braking and F/E for the engine.... and please do something with that muffler.  

SUZUKI !  
Help revive the middleweight standard class with a proven power plant.

Also take a look at the cam chain tensioner; replaceable cam bearings; and straighten out the exhaust ports like you did for the ‘90-95 model DR650.  These will improve engine durability and overall performance.  
Almost forgot to mention the gears, we could really use a true “Overdrive” 5 gear.  One that would make it a real cruising gear.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 02/22/21 at 10:06:58

Fifth gear is not enough of a jump in gear ratio, that is a really high on my list, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 23:53:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Retro Thumper project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.