Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Things about Kate and Lucky (Guzzi) (Read 550 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Things about Kate
Reply #45 - 12/21/20 at 03:42:29

Oldfeller:

There will be no doubt if we fixed anything on MM's clutch.

The amount of effort required to pull the clutch lever in is almost beyond the ability of "mere mortals".  The amount of force required is almost hard enough to take the fun out of riding!

I rode the bike about 3 years ago and the clutch worked just fine - I pulled in the clutch when we were in Arkansas.....and I would not want to ride the bike as it currently is.

There is something definitely wrong - it feels like something is definitely in a bind and the clutch does not want to release.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #46 - 12/21/20 at 09:14:04

Cables themselves can be funny, I had one start to fray apart internally once and the little wires would sporadically jam up inside the outer cable housing on the edge of a crimped fitting   .......  and then they would suddenly free up and fly straight for a few days before starting to jam up again.

TAKE LOTS OF PICS OF YOUR PROBLEM WHEN YOU LOCATE IT.

« Last Edit: 12/25/20 at 13:42:28 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #47 - 12/21/20 at 12:40:19

I've done the new cable first too .  !  Huh

Its so hard to pull that cables don't last long !

Here's a picture of my left arm after the guzzi having a problem for a few years now !
  Grin
« Last Edit: 01/05/21 at 08:49:18 by MMRanch »  

left_arm.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #48 - 01/12/21 at 18:13:14

I've got the Guzzi in the tractor shop waiting on warmer weather .    

But

I've been doing some research into other folks have similar issues .   Could be the throw-out bearing failed.    Apparently some of them were assembled without a touch of grease in the right spot.   I'll know in a week or so.  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 01/13/21 at 11:59:49

MMRanch wrote on 01/12/21 at 18:13:14:
I've got the Guzzi in the tractor shop waiting on warmer weather .    

MM - I thought you were going to come up here and work on the bike in a heated garage......with a set of helping hands?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #50 - 01/13/21 at 20:48:27

PM

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #51 - 01/14/21 at 20:58:12

Dave ,

When do ya think would be good ?  

ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #52 - 01/18/21 at 17:05:33

That's it Dave, get Kate up this way so I can swing down and save her from MM!!   Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Things about Kate and Luck (the Guzzi)
Reply #53 - 01/18/21 at 20:00:54

Kate is REALLY EASY to like.    Maybe next summer I can ride her up to your house Dave ?    Wink

I'm still undecided about selling her , the last time I had a bike even close to being as nicely mannered as her was in 1969.   Yea , the CD175 Honda I had then was a big jump from the Yamaha Twin-Jet 100 it was replacing  .    That CD 175 was almost a full size bike for a 135 lb.  17 year old.   It had the flared fenders like the Honda Dream Style.  I might have been in LOVE !   Roll Eyes

So , I'm loading the Guzzi tomorrow afternoon and bring the new tire , the new clutch cable , and the shop manual .   We'll have to order parts after we find the problem.  
I'm betting its the throw-out bearing that pushes the clutch rod ?.   Huh

« Last Edit: 01/26/21 at 07:38:41 by MMRanch »  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #54 - 01/22/21 at 04:05:57

Expert at work......warm and comfy garage!

Expert.jpg

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #55 - 01/22/21 at 09:18:31

Yeah, that is clearly Dave's garage and not MMs. If it were MMs there would be cows and kitty cats running around...and he would be all bundled up like the kid in the Christmas Story.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Things about Kate and Luck (the Guzzi)
Reply #56 - 01/22/21 at 21:10:52

Hay , I felt like the kid in a Christmas Story !    Wink

Nice Warm shop !   Wink

Nice Clean tools !   Wink

Nice Semi Smart help !  Grin

Dave has all the Right Gadgets !    Most of them are still shinny .   Cool

So ,

We took the Swingarm off to get access to the clutch stuff .

Then pulled all the push-rod stuff out ... it was a dirty and gritty looking mess.

We didn't go all the way to the Clutch itself , but there wasn't we could do but replace the Clutch-Spring plate thing anyway.

The Throw-out bearing was still in-tacked and looked good so we greased it good ... heck we greased it all good !   Roll Eyes

I had a new cable too ... so Dave lubed it good and  when we got it all reassembled it felt like a new machine !!!  Smiley

Here is an interesting observation :

We went to Cadre Cycle in Cincinnati Thursday where there were a bunch of Guzzi bikes similar to mine.   I had to sample all the Clutch pulls they had "just for comparison" ...  
The small block Guzzi models use a cupped disk looking spring instead of a bunch of coil springs .  It has "Fingers !  (like a strait shift car)
The best I could tell no two are just alike .  Maybe the cupped-disk is a few .001's" thicker or thinner on each one ... or tempered a little different on each one.  
So the only way I'm getting a different feeling clutch is to change the spring-disk-thing - even then ... it may be less pull or more pull ???  

But , for our efforts it does work a lot slicker than it did !   I'll have to get a different form of arm exercise now !  Grin

With every tire change now , I think a cable lube and throw-out bearing lube will be in order.  !    We put a new tire on it while it was apart too.   I'm trying a Kenda Challenger for a rear this time.   The Shinko 712 I took off still had a thousand miles left on it after about 6000 miles , but we had the tire off so it got changed.

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Things about Kate and Lucky (Guzzi)
Reply #57 - 01/23/21 at 05:15:17

MM:

It is a good thing you headed south on Friday morning - Saturday morning got really cold!

IMG_7468.JPG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Things about Kate and Lucky (Guzzi)
Reply #58 - 01/23/21 at 08:12:21

Thats to COLD for me to go Ridding !  Well , without plugging up a lot of gear !

But

I suspect your shop still has a warm floor !   Smiley

I had an idea to ride to north AL. this morning for a lunch with some of the Guzzi guys ... but ... its just too COLD !    We got into the lower 20's this morning with a promise of 50 by 16:00 hrs.  
So , Kate has a HEATED SEAT now so I might have a date with her about 15:00hrs for a lap around the Country Block instead ?   Wink  

134277557-freezing-cold-a-cartoon-illustration-of-a-cold-freezing-man-.jpg

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 20:18:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › Things about Kate and Lucky (Guzzi)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.